Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by melbo, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Couple questions regarding water purification tablets. I went to a sports/hunting store and they had many different brands but also different prices. You could get tablets from $5 to $12. Do people get the most expensive? The cheapest? Middle of the road? Clean water is something you want to make sure you get correct.

Also- in the post above it said keep in cool dry place. I was hoping to stick some in my car kit but this may not work. Has anyone ever kept water purification tablets in the car? Would it halve the shelf life?

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

2 words. Big Berkey.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have read about Berkey's for years and I know that the survival store I go to is often sold out. I have never met anyone that has one and have often wondered if they are worth the investment.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

As I have posted here before.... AlaskaChick teaches the classes on "How to live in a Third World Country, with only what you bring with you." for MDs w/o Boarders, and the Berkey Systems are a BIG Part of how they deal with Clean Potable Water. There is NOTHING Better, OTS (Off the shelf) for that purpose, for ANY Amount of Money..... Each team has at least ONE Setup, plus two sets of Filters, going in, and each Resupply Diplomatic Pouch contains a set of Filters. You can't help the locals, if your sitting on the Pot, most of the day......

VisuTrac, Ganado, Tracy and 1 other person like this.
  7. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Clean Potable water is always worth the investment.

The idea of being able to take water from the swamp running it through the Berkey vs. drinking it straight up with a bit of duck poo vs. dehydration?

If the day comes that you need to make the choice I'd invest in the Berkey today no matter the cost. They only seem expensive now that safe water is widely available in your AO for nearly nothing out of the tap. Just imagine the day when the water coming out of the faucet is unusable w/o subsequent treatment.

I hope I never see the day that I question the quality of my well water and don't need to use the berkey with the filters to have safe water. I'll pass it down to the grandkids in my will. Hopefully they won't need it either.

Remember, prepare for the worst, but pray for the best.

You only need to experience what drinking bad water will do to you ONE time and you will never forget it. That is if you survive. (Contaminated well, Minot North Dakota 1984 survivor.)

8. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

To the top

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

2 micron Filter, 5 micron Activated Charcoal Filter, and UV Sterilizer Tank, in that order.....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. ColtCarbine
  3. duane
  4. Ganado
  5. Sojourn
  6. DKR
  7. deMolay
  8. Ganado
  9. GOG
  10. Motomom34
  11. Asia-Off-Grid