Drip Irrigation | Wow What A Difference!

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Gopherman, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Heat treated wood is prolly fine... There are pallets and food boxes that have HT branded on them and I haven't found any chemicals in them... Other treated wood I would not use

2. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I have to laugh at myself... Sometimes my brain is so single focused. I was at a urban garden home tour last week and we were discussing mulching.... This one guy used bark.... IM not a fan of bark except under fruit trees.... And I asked him why he didn't use hay or straw..... He said... Cuz I couldn't find organic and I didn't want the chemical inputs that you get..... My brain went 'well dang I never thought of that' now I'm going to check and see if organize aka unsprayed hay and straw change soil composition.... More soil tests.... I will let you know how it turns out.... This may be a onE year garden experiment

EDIT: forgot to update this after soil tests. 5 years of wheat straw for mulch showed no residual pesticides. Immature stop worrying about the organic straw.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015
    SB21 and Gopherman like this.
  3. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

Ya know, I have no Idea! Nobody every said that in any of the video's ohno
    am I gonna Die???

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  4. Gopherman

If you use untreated wood it would rot so fast down here or turn to Termite food in less than 2 seasons. I guess I'll just have to find out. It doesn't affect the plants growing, but, If I suddenly stop posting for a couple months, don't use pressure treated wood!:)

5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

You will die, sooner or later.

"Isn't pressure treated wood was unsafe to use for raised beds ?"

Maybe, depends on so many variables the AG folks mostly gave up on that subject.

The older (my definition is open to interpolation) pressure treated woods were certainly harmful to your health at some level.
    One of those pressure treated wood products was creosote a petrol chemical combination of various crude oil based sources.
    The other used a bit more deadly (my definition is open to interpolation) combination of chemicals.

The now, most common, is dried and then treated. If it is dried after the treatment it is a bit more safe. Up to 30 years against rot.

Then again some common chemicals come from sourced timbers that can kill you if taken in high percentage points (my definition is open to interpolation).

So there you have it.

Data is skimpy at best for the real world unless you are talking about freshly treated, not dried, not aged wood
    (my definition is open to interpolation) .

So line with plastic and hope for the best.

Arsenic Compounds
    The safety of pressure-treated wood for garden beds depends on what preservative was used to treat the wood. Wood treated with chromated copper arsenate or CCA can leach toxic arsenic into soil that may be taken up by the plants grown in that soil. CCA-treated wood should not be used for garden beds, says the Vermont Department of Health. CCA-treated wood has been restricted since 2004 to foundation construction only. Wood treated with creosote, a black, smelly coal tar derivative, also should not be used for raised beds because of toxic leaching.

Copper-Based Preservative
    In 2013, most pressure-treated wood used copper-based compounds, including copper azole, or CA; alkaline copper quaternary, or ACA; and micronized copper quaternary, or MCQ. Copper is considered much less toxic than arsenic. Producers of wood treated with MCQ claim that their product won’t leach any copper into the environment and so is safe for all uses, including raised garden beds. If you are still concerned, experts at the University of California, Davis, suggest lining the interior walls of your raised bed frame with heavy plastic sheeting or using decay-resistant lumber such as redwood or cedar.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

I think I'm gonna stick with pine for raised beds and replace as needed.

HK_User likes this.
  7. HK_User

IF you can follow around a foundation forms crew you might get what you want free, or shot!

8. Gopherman

I have all my beds lined in 6 mil plastic with holes poked in the bottom to allow drainage. As I told my son, I'm more likely to die from friendly fire than anything else at this point!:whistle:

9. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

In raised bed I would stay away from pressure treated lumber and railroad ties. We have several dwarf apple, peach and pie cherry trees, they are easy to harvest, prune, and take very little space. We get some weird weather here, warms up in February causing fruit trees to flower too early so we planted our trees on the north side of the house where it is the last to warm up.

10. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Hey @vonslob how do those dwarf trees produce? I've been staring at them for two years in the Burgess catalog but you are the1st person I've heard mention them. Any down side? I'm not after a full blown orchard, just a few trees to provide some different fruits to put up every year.

HK_User likes this.
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2015
    HK_User and vonslob like this.
  12. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I am really impressed with the yields, we have three dwarf pie cherry trees that yield aprox 5 gallons of cherries, the trees are a little over four feet. What I like about the dwarfs the most is the ability to cover them to protect against late frosts and birds when they ripen. The peach trees, five of them, gives us enough to put up 48 pints of preserves last year. The apples, four of them, are the least productive, yielded twenty dehydrator trays of apples. Now if I could find an apricot tree that is a dwarf, that would be something, we get apricots one out of three years because of late frosts. The peach trees are spaced four to five feet, the cherries the same. Some day I want to plant a couple of dozen of each so that I would have a mini-orchard
    Edit: I have not seen any problems with them yet, they are ten or so years old. If I was to do it again I would plant full size apple trees, very happy with the peach and cherry.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Gopherman. You going to have a grape stomping party for all those wine grapes? ;)

HK_User likes this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

my sister and i went over what a pain drip is with emitters in a raised bed. She went with this type of system

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
    3M-TA3 likes this.
  15. HK_User

Old post but in this area hay pastures that I use only apply balanced chemical fertilizers with seasonal testing. After all how in the world could you use only "organics" on a 500 acre hay field?

Fuel cost alone would be prohibitive and if any want Organics in the hay field, well most already have that with the first cutting being Bush hogged and turned under, So you have those as the fella above making statements that forgo the fact that a first cutting has good quality in mind as the first cutting is considered trash and yet it has had about 4 months of rain and snow to remove wind blown insecticides as no one I know produce cattle grade hay with applied insectides.

Know your source, talk to the producers on site,make friends that understand your needs. My hay Guy, actually a family run operation of about 3 generations, are folks that have day jobs and produce hay as a way to keep the family ranch in the family.

Yes I pre order each spring for a given amount of cattle grade hay. The hay I purchase is pre sold with the agreement cost are the rated expenses, set even to delivery cost and with a standard profit. This all means that I am not screwed around and if a bad harvest happens we all know and share the hit. Yet no gouging happens as they know I am a steady customer and will continue with them.

And I pay as the hay is delivered.

I also know where they live and their Dogs names.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    ditch witch, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. DKR
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Motomom34
  11. Motomom34
  12. Motomom34