Drive screws

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by magnus392, Jan 9, 2006.

1. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

2. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Looks promising, better than a pop rivet build.

3. magnus392

I have seen too many pop rivets fail to trust them, lol. I haven't tried this method yet, but I just may on a spare romy I have. It would almost have to be a hybrid build, with rivets or screws on the trigger guard, and the rear trunnion.

However the Weld Build is also a great alternitive if you can weld, and are not an authenticity nut. I like just about any type of build except for screws and that is because there are so many things that can and ussually do go wrong with them.

4. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Interesting idea, would be nice to see a engineering data sheet on their holding power.

5. magnus392

I will put it this way....Toothpicks will hold for 3 shots....How much pressure can their be?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Drive pins will hold for a while against vibration, but I would not bet much on shock loading. I've used them in static loadings, and they will hold forever that way.

What kinds of troubles do you run into with screw builds?

7. magnus392

Drilling too deep, broken taps, tapping deep enough in the front trunnion, cross threading... the whole nine yards thta can go wrong with a screw or bolt.

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Oh. Thought there might be something serious --- :lol:

9. dalesimpson

dalesimpson Monkey+++

Hey, that post on AK files is mine!! I have gotten a lot of feedback on the drive screw build idea. Originally I thought I did it first, because when we discussed it on gunco nobody seemed really interested, but it looks like WinnR beat me to the build by a month or two. I have had good luck with my drive screw build so far. I have about 500 rounds through it with ZERO problems.

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Cool!

11. Galactus

Galactus Monkey+++ Founding Member

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7