Driverless pods, to save Fossil Fuel, Futuristic cars that run on Lithium Batteries.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Apr 25, 2016.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Image(s) of the Day: Driverless pods to run on Singapore’s roads by end of 2016

Futuristic cars that run on Lithium batteries.

By the end of 2016, those living in Singapore will be cruising around on “Group Rapid Transit” driverless pods. Created by 2getthere, the vehicles run on electricity and can travel autonomously on smaller roads, such as those within a gated community or school campus.

[​IMG]
    Singaporean transportation operator SMRT and 2getthere announced that they will build 24-passenger cars expected to be running by the end of the year. The two companies have created a joint venture called 2getthere Asia, which will operate and maintain the vehicles in the city.

2getthere also built a similar system in Rotterdam’s Rivium Business Park, which has six running vehicles with the ability to carry 20 passengers each. Approximately 2,500 people use the pods a day in the park. SMRT is the second-largest public transportation company in Signapore, operating a number of the country’s bus and subway train networks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The driverless pods will have a low-cost transit system that is capable of carrying up to 8,000 passengers per hour going in a single direction. Similar to the ones that run in Abu Dhabi’s cleantech business park, Masdar City, the pods run on Lithium batteries and can return to the base to charge themselves.

[​IMG]
    “The first step is the feasibility study, the next step is the trial, which is the proof of the pudding, and then, the full implementation,” Carel van Helsdingen, 2getthere’s chairman and founder said.

With the recent buzz surrounding autonomous vehicles of the future, we can say this: they’re finally here.

Source: Mashable

By Jennifer Korszun

chelloveck likes this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Interesting concept. A good option for those who have lost their license, due to suspension or revocation.

3. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

The range killer for electric vehicles is keeping the occupants cool in the summer sun. All the glass and it appears glass roof as well means the solar load on that vehicle may well require more of the battery energy for cooling than for locomotion. And were does the electricity come from to charge the batteries? If it's a fossil fuel fired plant the carbon generation is not that much different than fuel efficient diesel powered vehicles so it sounds all green and earth dayish to the enviro crowd but...

4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

They do now make solar electric generating windows now. (I have no idea if they are in use here, but they could be.)
    There are also a few versions of solar charging stations that look promising. (They charge as long as they have sun, and discharge only when recharging the car, or to be used as a back up power generator.)

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The Singapore version won't be on the main public roads, at least to start. They'll be used on the campuses and within residential "estate" areas. These days, they are trying out car free areas, mainly in the shopping districts. I'd guess that the next step will be to close off the shopping areas and put those pods to work, starting (I imagine) on Orchard Road.

HK_User likes this.
  6. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

And it is for the good of the planet. We have to end those evil fossil fuels.

13043236_1166009463423913_4976917019135206779_n.

Gator 45/70 and Yard Dart like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think I've seen that gas well ----

8. Minuteman

And that is during the drilling process. After the rig is gone the location is leveled and grass replanted. After a couple years it is hard to even find if you don't know where to look. I know, I have driven around for hours trying to find a producing well!

9. HK_User

Most, now, are on GPS Map Systems.

10. Minuteman

Before my time. God when did I get old?:(

11. HK_User

You Blinked.

BTPost and Minuteman like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Seems like yesterday, I was 25, and invincible....

Minuteman likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7