Drone with Camera

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, May 30, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I've thought they could be utilized as a tool while on patrol. Pop up, snoop around. Not perfect, but not launched from the retreat either.

Ura-Ki, Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yall be :cautious: :cautious: DJI plus others send everythin to china

Last edited: May 30, 2018
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The transmit freq are impossable to intercept or override, as you pointed out with them being locked in and Freq agile, it's actually worse then you think, they are "Bound" to each other, the control and receiver, and if the bond is interfered or challenged, it simply hopps! It's that same problem with Doppler Radar, you can detect a Radar signal, but with out line of sight beam sharpening, it's impossable to triangulate or determine signal strength unless you have a laser string enough to burn the emitter/receiver, not very likely to ever happen, plus you would then have no means of taking control! The Wi-Fi is a different animal entirely, that can be hijacked pretty easy, but has no effect on the drone control signal! Figure out how to jamb or hijack the control, you would be a millionaire in no time!

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

What would be fun is a "counter-drone". One that could deploy a non-firearm bolo net to snag and down another drone. Gotta protect the casa's privacy. If the "enemy drone" falls on my property, it is MINE! o_O

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Lol, counter drone ops! I may ( may) know of a large expensive drone that went missing some time ago, it "may" have crashed in the forest in the area of Catamount res. while on a illegal recon flight in that A.O. It's rumored to have been struck by a high velocity projectile(s) which caused it to loose signal and fly off until it crashed in the trees! There was no search party launched to recover it, so it may still be there! I may even know where it went down, but no one came looking, so I ain't offering help! This is all rumors and hear say! I know nothing, I see nothing, I hear nothing, I didn' even get up this more ing! Lol

sec_monkey, Tully Mars and SB21 like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Or maybe this --

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I have on several occasions set my Phantom 3 up at one location, took it to another and launched, and let it return "home" where it was initialized. Had it follow a RR track for the TV station for 15 minutes while they shot footage of it, and it landed beside the tracks and shut down.
    They are also great for grabbing video and or stills of an AO. I found some things I never knew was 150 yards away. The have their uses, and I really doubt anyone would be able to hijack it. Or really follow it down because the flight times are too short. I plan on having mine available for pop up sneak and peaks should I ever need to. Add to that they are just a helluva lot of fun to fly.

8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Been thinking of gettin 1 myself. Been lookin at them for a while. Don't want to waste money on cheap junk , but don't want to lose a grand on a lost drone. I am not a computer game player , so getting the buttons wrong worries me. Also , if it's a grid down situation , there will be no automatic return home button , because there will be no GPS , or Internet ,,,,, Right ???

sec_monkey and Ura-Ki like this.
  9. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

OK, these things transmit back to your cell phone... do they work when the cell network is down?

Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yes, they use WiFi to send Video back to the Cellphone... Not the Cellular Network...

azrancher and sec_monkey like this.
  11. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Thanks BT, much like the i355? Same distance, frequency or 2.4/5 GHz? I hope the distance is better than my WiFi router....

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. BTPost

@azrancher Not that much .... WiFi Consumer Routers are usually in the 500mw Tx Power Output, except for some of the more Industrial Ones... The Highest Power ones are 1 watt... Which is the Maximum allowed under CFR 47Part15 rules... The issue in the Drone RF Downlink is Tx Power, as it takes some Battery Power to TX the Video, cutting the available Flight time some... What mitigates that some, is usually the Drone is Line of Sight back to the Display Device, and at 2.4 Ghz that helps a LOT...

sec_monkey likes this.
  13. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Crop dusting on the way out....

14. DKR

SAR by drone

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. DKR

Not quite an air ambulance - and NOT Scifi, real stuff.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. DKR

Firefighting? Yeah, they got a drone for that

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. DKR

Finally - if you are lost in the woods...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Most folks around here would shoot down any drone as trespassing at best, a peeping Tom at worst.

I certainly would. Possibly also any mouthy ass owner that showed up bitching and threatening as well.

Ura-Ki, Seawolf1090 and Tully Mars like this.
  19. BTPost

You do NOT own the Airspace over your Property... Shooting at Drones is likely Illegal in State and Federal Statutes, especially if it is one of the bigger drones which are registered as Aircraft, and the Pilot is also Registered.... Not the brightest move to b e making...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. DKR
  3. HK_User
  4. Big Ron
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. BelBol
  8. Bishop
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Yard Dart