Dual purpose...wood fired heat/cooking stove

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Hillbilly549, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

I've found several with "large" burn boxes. 95000 but output, 76-80% efficiency. I think a dual purpose stove would have it's place in the right floor plan and if you have an outdoor option for summer cooking.

Another question I have is how well do these newer high eff technologies hold up over time, which are easiest to maintain and/or service. Lots of considerations for a lifelong (not to mention pricey) investment! Also a lot of fun learning about all these things.

2. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The catalytic converter models need new catalytic converters every few years or so, I don't think the re-burn tube type have been out long enough to know about their longevity but they are pretty simple and I can't imagine a whole lot that can go wrong with them other than the tubes rusting. I would try to find one with a lifetime warranty if you can.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  3. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

Think of it as an investment :D:D:D... youd never have to replace it, theres ones over here that are 70+ years old and running strong. Shame so many people replace them with “modern” cookers. Used to be very common in this country. And the Esse one are supposed to be a lot more efficient than the older versions.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  4. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I have 3 of the gasifier stoves, (one in living rm, one in basement, one in greenhouse) all 3 different manufacturers, and all 3 have stainless steel for the tubes....so I don't think rust will be a problem.

BenP likes this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As always, "it depends." Some SS alloys will rust. If yours are 300 series, you should be good to go.

BenP likes this.
  6. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

That one picture reminds me as a kid, how we'd line up for our toast, made right on top of the wood stove. My Mom kept the stove very clean and one spot was for frying toast right on the stove.

oldawg and BenP like this.
  7. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

Oh I am! If I can invest 4k instead of 6k for equal (or very close) performance and aesthetic, then I'd like to do that obviously. I guess another way of looking at it is the money saved in propane/gas over 5-10 years. Same as off grid solar.....or any of the other stuff discussed on here. I like their Ironheart stove...simple and with a good size firebox.

BenP likes this.
  8. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Want to test the quality of your SS, use a magnet. High quality SS is non magnetic.

9. ghrit

Distinctly not reliably true. 400 series stainless, for example, manufactured correctly, is pretty good stuff AND is magnetic and rusts readily. Poorly alloyed 300 series materials are not magnetic, and as with all things, can be good stuff or poor, depending on quality control; does not rust, but can burn thru depending on alloy.

Then there are others ----

3cyl likes this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Best to contact the OEM, and inquire, about their materials... then consult a person with metalurgy experience....

Merkun likes this.
  11. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Yes, catalytics need to be replaced occasionally, but with proper care last many years. I'm still using the used one that came with our stove, and have a spare...but also have a cast iron plate that performs a similar duty with coal. Probably would have to run a hotter wood fire to get much benefit from it though...

BTW, the spare cat ran about $100...the difference in efficiency from the old Vogelzang boxwood stove has nearly paid for the stove and cat in two years.

12. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

By "insert" do you mean fireplace insert?

Planning to build in the next couple years on remote BOL property. I want a woodstove, wife wants a fireplace. Fireplaces are notoriously inefficient, which is why woodstoves were originally invented.

However, if they make fireplace inserts that are catalytic and that actually work, it just may be the ticket that keeps everyone happy.

13. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Well if ss will attract a magnet it means it has carbon content. When welding ss you are not even supposed to use a carbon steel wire wheel for cleaning only a ss wheel or brass. Depends on the purpose of the material food grade etc is usually 316

14. ghrit

I am not going to go too much further with this, after all, it is off topic. But you need to explain why magnets attract pure iron with zero carbon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  15. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

It is common practice in trades such as welding to identify ss with a magnet. The proper way to identify material is with the Mill Certs for the material. As we were merely discussing a woodstove I provided a trade tip. It is common practice to use a magnet to distinguish carbon steel from ss or other material with out going into a full lab analysis. The standard practice in a machine shop when I would buy material is the Mill Certs come with the Bill of Lading for the material. It is the metallurgy of the material including full analysis of all material, date of mfg. where mfg. country of origin mill of origin etc etc. Sorry I ruffled a few feathers there by offering a common trade tip to someone about a woodstove. I did not realize it was actually a space shuttle. I managed a fairly large machine shop at one time and all material whether pipe for the fabricating shop, plate for the fabricating shop, Titanium for the machine shop, all material had Mill Certs and had to be checked off against the material shipped and the Mill Certs Kept on file. It it was pipe being used for high pressure steam piping or plate to repair a vessel, or ss piping for chemical lines etc. I rec'd the material checked against the Mill Certs, then it was entered into the Engineering file for what ever was being fabricated or produced. But it was common practice in trades to use a magnet on ss, because low quality ss has cs alloyed in it. cs steel attracts a magnet. I am talking about a piece of unlabeled shop material lying around. If the job had to do with pressure piping or certain chemical process's we would never use it if we could not tie it back to a Mill Cert. It would be illegal.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  16. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

This one went off the rails a bit....thanks for the informative posts though.

deMolay and oldman11 like this.
  17. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The Monkey Train doesn’t really run on Rails, as such, but we usually try and stay between the Shoulder Road “Wake Up” Bumps, most of the time...[lolol]

oldawg, Bandit99, deMolay and 2 others like this.
  18. Hillbilly549

Hillbilly549 Monkey

That's any message board. Figured I'd lay down a subtle rumble strip....;)

BenP and oldman11 like this.
  19. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Way out in the weeds.

Hillbilly549 likes this.
  20. jukk0u

jukk0u Monkey+++

Oh boy, does this bring back memories. Yes, they are excellent dual purpose stoves. Everything above is accurate. But they aren't as efficient as the gassifiers mentioned and many municipalities wouldn 't allow them as new installations (if they become aware of it)

1. JC Refuge
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Gator 45/70
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. ColtCarbine
  7. Motomom34
  8. DKR
  9. DKR
  10. VisuTrac
  11. Hillbilly549
  12. deMolay