DW Garden 2020

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ditch witch, Jul 1, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

For a home flock you really can't go wrong with any of the dual purpose breeds and they all come in a zillion colors. Orpingtons, Rocks, Americaunas (I can never spell it right), Wyandottes, Rhode Islands, Australorps, there's a lot to choose from. People never list them as the top layers but 15 hens will give me a dozen plus eggs a day so I can't complain about that. If you're going to keep them cooped all the time I'd avoid the Mediterranean class because they're small, lightweight, and love to fly. Awesome for foragers but in a small coop and enclosed run they're always flying about and banging into things. This class includes Leghorns, Minorcas, Anconas, and of course the Andalusians that I just had to have and are now flying all over the coop and banging into things. I like a lot of different egg colors and hadn't had white egg layers in years... mebbe the other ladies will settle them down a bit.

Aww thanks! I joke that I'm actually a terrible gardener but I'm a damn lucky one so my messes turn out well despite my nonsense. But as far as using the space, I've never really tapped into what can be done on small plots. This family here is what got me thinking years ago, about everything I learned about gardening from my grandmother (neat rows, lots of space used) and what was being done on small lots and plots and even rooftops by the hippies and urbanites.

And this guy in Vietnam has made me really rethink what I grow in, particularly for starting seeds. Working in a greenhouse for a few years got me hooked on buying trays and pots and taking the commercial way out. But now I realize, I throw away perfect seedling trays and salad green plots every week, and I've started putting those empty containers to work.

My 2021 plan is to take nearly everything vertical. I've dabbled with it in the past, enough to learn how to screw it up, so this year I'm pretty sure I've got it all figured out. (a girl can dream) I'm also doing something different with the aquaponics, which I've frankly gotten disgusted with. There's some aspects of it I like, most that just don't work in our climate, and one total disaster that actually might become a stroke of genius but I won't know for sure until I get it moved and reassembled to recreate the disaster.

2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Allow me to thank you for the time and effort to post the goings on and photos of your garden.

Thank you!

I hope you will continue for this next year....

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I also thank you Ms Ditch Witch , well done .
    Ms Sloth and i watched and read your posts
    I have now a second roll of the TP lists to do !!
    Sloth

Gator 45/70, ghrit and Yard Dart like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7