DW's 2018 Garden

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by ditch witch, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

2017 kept me much too busy either burying family members or actively plotting their demise to spend any time in the garden. I have vowed to focus my 2018 energies on my garden instead as I'm less likely to kill my plants than my remaining family. Except for my nephews. Coz they're awesome.

Most of my seeds are already started, tho the seed is a bit old and I question what my germination rate will be, particularly on the onions which were dated 2010. I have tons of seed, some still in the original packets and some saved from the plants.
    Feb Seedlings.JPG

Those familiar with my half baked gardening methods already know I turn the back yard into a wild, but mostly edible, jungle. There are no neat rows. It's a jungle. If orderly plots of well tilled earth are your OCD driven thing, don't keep up with this thread unless you want to wind up in the fetal position clutching a bottle of vodka.

So far looks like I'll be spring planting:
    Flowers: Dwarf Sunspot Sunflower, French Marigolds, California Giant Zinnias, Chamomile
    Herbs: Dill, Cilantro, Basil (Green, Holy Kra Pow, Purple), Rosemary, Sage, Thyme, Oregano
    Okra: Emerald Velvet
    Peppers: Red Marconi, Corno di Toro Rosso, Anaheim, Paprika (0% germination last time so IDK about this one) Cayenne, Habanero OR Jalapeno Gigantica (the label fell off the baggie of seeds), Banana
    Pumpkins: Howden, Mammoth Gold, Winter Luxury Pie
    Squash: Spaghetti Squash, Sugaretti, Black Beauty Zucchini, Bush Butternut,
    Tomatillo: Verde
    Tomato: Riesentraube, Amish Paste, Some random red slicer I saved seed for and forgot to label

This is subject to expand as spring gets closer. I'll also grab some cucumber plants from the local greenhouse once they get up and running, and I *think* I ordered some sweet potato slips but now I can't remember.

We are nearly 200 days into zero rainfall. I don't plant directly into the ground because the damn Bermuda grass takes over any patch of dirt that gets water and nothing short of napalm kills it. My existing beds are either traditional raised or IBC tote wicking beds, and I'll be adding another wicking bed and also a hugelkulture bed or two this year to see how those do. Will be taking my currently unused 2'x2'x6' stock tank and turning that into a deep water raft AP setup, nothing fancy, just for herbs and maybe some salad greens. Our main AP setups are dismantled and I have no plans to resurrect them until we have a greenhouse as it's too cold in the winter here to run them year round otherwise. Also planting some giant Indian corn in the old rabbit run just for grins and decoration. It's deep in rotted alfalfa and rabbit crap plus the 10x6x6 dog kennel will provide some support for the grown stalks when the winds pick up.

I'll also be removing some roses from a front flower bed. They died and their wild rose rootstock took over. Nothing like getting out of the truck into a massive thorn bush every time I come home. Will be gutting that bed and replanting with edibles that are pretty since it's in the front yard. A zucchini for sure, some marigolds and zinnias, maybe a cucumber to climb the gas light pole. Thai peppers are always fun, and lemongrass would be great if I can get my hands on some stalks that still have a little root left on them. After that I'm not sure so will post pics as it comes together.

Edit: I forgot to order sweet potatoes. Problem solved. :)
    seed order1.JPG

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Great to be hearing from you again, DW.
    Nice touches of humor in your post.

4. ditch witch

Across the board the old squash seeds have germinated, including some butternut squash from 2010. The tomato and tomatillo seeds are also coming up quickly. The zinnias from 2014, which I pre-sprouted on a wet paper towel in a plastic leftover bowl, had about a 40% germination rate. However the anaheim, corino, cayenne, paprika, red marconi, and are-they-habanero-or-jalapeno peppers are a total failure, with many sprouting mold and others just disintegrating entirely. I have another 3 packets of marconis in a wet towel container that are also batting a zero. Placing an order now for fresh seed. The onion flat reeks of onions and rot, and while I see 3 or 4 that are sprouting it's a safe bet I'll be buying bundles this year.
    20180226_112226. 20180226_112235.

After walking through the "garden" I am wondering if 11:30 AM is too early to start drinking. Generally nothing around here gets done unless I do it myself, and after almost 18 months of total neglect the yard is a disaster.

On the left is 1 wicking bed that's ready to go, and 1 that is just a tote full of crap right now. The tote on the right is the chicken waterer. The pallet deck is a snapped ankle waiting to happen.
    20180226_112423.
    Need to build some raised beds along the left side fence, and then on the right remove the now empty rabbit cages (I got rid of the buns) and build another bed. The pallet fence straight ahead is coming out so I can open up into that section. Normally I don't plant in the ground but I'm going to till that and put some okra and pumpkins in it.
    20180226_112626.

That tree has to get trimmed so I can build a better lid for the chicken yard. Going to arch cattle panels over from the yard fence to the inside pallet fence, then lay the bird netting over that. Least then we can get into the chicken yard without crab walking under the netting.
    20180226_112645.

On to the other side. Against the chicken house is a raised bed that the escapee hens have been using as a dust bath for the last year and a half. The dirt level is down to the deck by now. I drug that busted storm door over and put on top just to keep the hags out until I can get the chicken yard fixed. On the right is a raised bed that grows trash, making it the most productive bed in the yard. That sink was supposed to go in my kitchen 3 years ago.
    20180226_112416.

The now defunct dog run/rabbit yard and the mess that follows. I'll do the Indian corn and little pie pumpkins in the kennel, after I get it cleaned up a bit. The rest I'll be happy if I can just get it cleaned up and cleared out so it can be easily mowed this summer.
    20180226_112716.
    Drag the stock tank around to where the wicking beds are and set it up as a small deep water raft bed for some greens and herbs. Mow the accidental hayfield and get the water tanks hooked back up to the gutter drain... which has mysteriously vanished.
    20180226_112707.
    And the main yard. The yard we entertain in. BBQ in. Have friends over in. FFS. It's like a dog bomb went off back here. The dogs drug some pillows through the dog door and shredded them back there while I was sick, and of course it didn't get picked up. Now it's everywhere. I have no idea how the mat from under my office chair wound up outside either.
    20180226_112805.

I have until April 15 to get this mess overhauled. That's our last frost date. Ordinarily I have stuff in dirt and under plastic outside by April 1st but IDK if I can get everything fixed in a month.

Gator 45/70, Ganado, GOG and 4 others like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

In the last picture, what are those trees you have staked?

chelloveck likes this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

My guess would be grapevines?

DW, I have some chili peppers (2 years ago) and some Tabasco peppers (last year), that I simply allowed to dry. If you're interested in seeds, I'm sure I could slice some open, harvest the seeds, and get them to you. I probably also have some various store bought pepper seed packets, that I'd be willing to send along, as well as a TON of bell pepper seeds (harvested from store bought peppers), if you have any interest in those.

If so, shoot me a PM, and we'll figure out the easiest method to get them headed your way. (y)

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

THAT looks like a lot of work ahead!!!! :eek:

8. ditch witch

@Motomom34 those are all grapevines. :)
    @natshare appreciate the offer but I already got seed en route. More than i can plant probably lol.

Chicken coop is cleaned and chickens are on lockdown so now I can get on the beds without them kicking all the dirt back out. Got the coop bed refilled and starting on the trash bed. Today is fence removal and replacing and if I can find the hacksaw imma start whacking on that Mimosa in the chicken yard. That's if it warms up. If not, today is binge watching Criminal Minds ha

Gator 45/70, natshare, GOG and 2 others like this.
  9. ditch witch

The trash bed is cleaned out and refilled with old litter from the chicken coop. The black barrels will help cook it a bit over the next month and a half. I'll add a few inches of cowcrap n topsoil in a week or so.
    20180228_181731.

Got the stock panels removed and the fence finished out with pallets. Still quite trailer park queen but I'll get it fancied up after everything else is finished
    20180228_181752.

Gator 45/70, GOG, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Any plans for the bathtubs? They make beautiful planters.

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  11. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Gardening here is still in the early planning stage. I'm about to send off an order today, already received one from another source. Wife picked up several seed packets locally. I got some garlic growing in one corner of the garden I planted last fall, some onion set to plant for green eating and a small bag of seed potatoes. I don't grow many potatoes anymore, to hard to dig, just a few for the late summer early fall eating, none for storage.

12. ditch witch

@Motomom34 they used to be planters, until the Dobie decided they were his personal excavation playground and urination target. They are now squatting in the remains of what was once a beautiful herb and rose bed. $(@*!%$ dogs. They also weigh a bazillion pounds so today I'm going to find out if I can drag the empty one into the garden area. If I can I may turn it into another floating raft bed. We're looking at moving in a year or two and the tubs are coming with, so I don't want to fill them with dirt that I'll end up having to dump out when moving day comes.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There's a market for cast iron, if they are entirely too much of a PIA.

Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
  14. ditch witch

I just got it drug into place, looped a dog leash through the drain. Little heavier than the tractor tire I flip at the gym lol, tho now I'm back to couch potatoing for a bit. Still puny from the pneumonia so I'm having to work a little bit and then rest a lot in between. Will get back out later and get old rabbit cages removed and start working on the new bed by the chicken yard. As soon as it's built I can start cutting up the tree limbs I cut down and piling them in the bed.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Damn @ditch witch I'm exhausted just reading this.

But it's awesome. :cool:

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  16. ditch witch

Hugelkulture bed is halfway full... prob the most half assed one ever constructed ha. Pallet walls lined with some old foam board I had lying around. Ill add a top board around the frame tomorrow. I tossed in 50 pounds of used coffee grounds from Starbucks and will throw some more old chicken litter in there when my back stops swearing.
    20180302_131329.
    20180302_153836.

Chicken yard is cleaned out and tree is trimmed up. One branch hung up in the lines. Think i will leave it for the wind to blow loose heh.
    20180302_161056.

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Witchy, please get professional help with clearing the wires. Pretty high risk, getting close to the power lines, tho' I think that branch is over the phone cable.

18. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Electric company would have trimmed it for free here and they take the risk. Well, actually they sub it out to a company that just trims trees.

19. ditch witch

We called the power company several times, those lines are buried in trees along that road. They always say they'll send someone out but no one ever comes. At any rate I'm not touching it. Itll fall out eventually.

Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The lines at the top of the utility pole are power (aka dangerous). It appears in your pic that your branch is caught up in phone/coax utility lines. Either way, stay safe like you said, it will come down eventually.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7