DW's primal journal

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by ditch witch, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@ditch witch [LMAO] the spurs on those cute pumps!!![biggrouphug] yeee haaaaa!!! you go girl!

Coffee - try half coconut cream and half butter .... its creamer and @Hanzo posted something on this a while back. I think his was half coconut oil and half butter. I add coconut oil to my coffee every morning... sounds gross tastes wonderful, great for your brain.

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I know that bulletproof coffee is coffee and coconut oil, I tried it but didn't like it. Just tasted like greasy black coffee to me. But I'll give the cococream/butter mix a try tomorrow. Honestly I never even liked coffee until this year and even then I only like it iced with cream and sweetner and preferably some flavoring like chocolate or hazlenut or Irish Cream, heh. I should just quit drinking it.

AD1, Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Those shoes!!! :ROFLMAO: love them. @AD1 looks like Christmas for you!

Tracy and AD1 like this.
  4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Those spurs look like Wartenberg pin wheels. Gives me the giggle fits just thinking about it! [LMAO]

AD1, Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Add Irish butter!

6. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

SHIT SHIT SHIT. Why cant you like more than once????

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Look closer, guys. My daughter has a pair of spurs just like those. It looks good, but it ain't part of the shoe.;)

8. ditch witch

I started drinking coffee in the morning in order to skip breakfast. In the past when I've eaten breakfast I've been freaking hungry all day long, but looking back I realize my breakfast was usually something processed and sugar laden like yogurt and orange juice so maybe that was the problem. I'm gonna try a different tack starting tomorrow by eating a big honking breakfast and see how that works. Picked up blueberries and blackberries at the store so thinking eggs and bacon wrapped in romaine leaves (straight protein/fat gives me heartburn) and a couple handfuls of blueberries.

The venison meatballs turned out great, if a bit on the dry side. I told the Mr he was getting deer balls for dinner. Sadly my adolescent wit failed to elicit even the faintest of smiles. Clearly the endless buffet of cauliflower has sapped his will to go on living. If I die of mysterious causes I have little doubt they will find a chunk of the stuff crammed down my throat like a Death's Head Hawkmoth chrysalis.

Elessar, Tully Mars, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  9. hot diggity

You've been at this since March 7 2014 and you're just now reading The Primal Blueprint? Wow! Might make you appreciate the book more.

Ganado likes this.
  10. ditch witch

I read almost his entire website back when I started. Not sure the book has anything new in it, but nice to have something to read that doesn't give me eyestrain from staring at the screen.

Ganado likes this.
  11. hot diggity

I wish I'd marked the pages when I had come across statements that Mark made that made me either jump up and cheer, laugh uproariously, or beam with pride in things that I had already experienced. I may have to read the book again, just for the sheer enjoyment. It's a very pleasant read, with lots of positive reinforcement to keep you on track.

12. ditch witch

The Grok/Korg thing... I was going to say it made me laugh but mostly it just makes me sad. I don't know how many women I've known over the years who really DID try extra hard to eat healthy and maintain a healthy weight according to the standard thinking of meat is bad, fat is bad, celery is king, eat less move more, but who were always exhausted and 20+ pounds over where they wanted to be. And I'm sorry if anyone wants to argue with me on this (though probably not now since I finally made use of the ignore feature) but it's worse for women because most of us had it drilled into us at an early age to be thin and pretty and ALWAYS watch what we eat. My dad was a preacher and so we got invited to LOTS of get togethers and potlucks and over to people's homes for dinner, and every time before we went Mom would remind me not to eat this or that and that my mouth was for talking, not eating, and that she'd be watching. Honestly I was afraid to eat when we ate out in public for fear someone would see me and think Wow what a little pig she is. Christmas dinner parties were the worst... I'd eat 1 sausage cheeseball, maybe 1 cube of cheese, and then nothing but celery while staring at all the food piled all around. Or rice cakes, yay, I could have all of those I wanted because those were "healthy" for me. Probably why I started taking books to those things, go hide in some back room and read so I didn't have to deal with all the food ... that got me into a different kind of trouble but that's another story. By the time I was 12 I was obsessed with counting calories and weighing food. THAT little addiction still has hooks in me to this day. It's funny because everyone used to tease that my belt buckles were bigger than me when I started showing calves and I look at those old pictures and I was totally normal sized. I was also living on around 600 calories a day worth of diet TV dinners too, and drinking diet cokes as meal replacements. I wasn't anorexic, but oh I wanted to be. Tried to be. I considered it a terrible failure on my part that I couldn't do it. If you'd told me back then that I could eat like this and not only be healthy but probably dump that extra pound I carried that had mom in such a twist, I'd have thought were you high. Or else a pedo with a windowless van parked just around the corner. :D

The point of my self absorbed stroll down unpleasant memory lane is to explain why I'm looking at my breakfast now and feeling 90 kinds of conflict over it. I tend to seesaw between a burning desire to "eat like a skinny girl would" and a manic need to self destruct over a bowl of macNcheese. I spent the last few months on the self destruct button and now it would seem I'm back on the path of the straight carrot and narrow celery. I got the devil on my shoulder screaming to put it all back except for the lettuce and celery (and for god's sake wipe that almond butter and homemade mayo off them first) and maybe a quarter of those blueberries. She's run the numbers (she's like a dietary bookie, always making Vegas odds as to what size jeans I will be in this week), is pretty sure that's almost 500 calories on that plate, and if I eat all of it I might as well just go buy stock in Lane Bryant and be done with it.
    ThursdayB.

And the Mr, last night again he whips out a damn piece of frozen pie. He doesn't want to go primal and I am not, NOT going to be the nagging wife who forces him to do it. Besides, he'd just rebel when he's not home and start binging on Sonic to regain control. I really can't handle fixing my own food issues and his at the same time. That's what cracked me back in the spring. Ain't like he's all healthy either. He was 165-170 in his late teens, early 20s, best shape of his life. Now he's 210-215, all in his gut, and all the "normal" health issues a 50 year old man is "supposed to have", like aches and pains, trouble sleeping, waking up with a pillow pressed over his face, that sort of thing.

Anyhoo enough whining. Today's plan includes a little housecleaning this morning, then outside to move one of the rabbit colonies, then out front to clear out the flowerbeds for the winter. I have Xmas lights to hang on the roof but no shingle tabs to attach them with so will have to run to town for those. Trying to stay active and off my ass today. Not getting on the scale, it'll only add to my current brand of crazy.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

DW you make me laugh at how normal you are! Most people have food issues, too much, too little blah blah blah

When I gave up sugar and refined carbs I thought I was going to go crazy, who knew the body and mind could put up such a strong fight! And my eating patterns changed. I eat a large breakfast (30 grams of protein within 30 min of getting out of bed) and I dont crave food all day. Who knew that would fix my carb cravings. Duh.

Everyone has a different metabolism... my theory.... and we all have to find what works for us.

I laughed one day when in the chat @melbo said "I love standing here reading the site and eating a big fist full of meat" That image just make me smile. So thanks for sharing your struggles and wins =)

Tully Mars and ditch witch like this.
  14. ditch witch

While making dinner last night I was struck by the huge difference between the chicken breasts I buy at the store, and the ones off of our own chickens. I know broiler strains and the average dual purpose breed can't really be compared but it was still kind of shocking to look at. The ones I buy average around 6 oz or more for each half. The entire breast off of a 4 month old Barred Rock roo (that's double the age of your average broiler) came in just a hair under 4 oz. This was a big, healthy boy who got plenty of exercise and sunshine and bugs to chase, and there wasn't a bit of fat on him come butcher time.

20151203_182022.
    So after salt n peppering both sides I dredged the breasts in egg and then dipped in coconut flour. These went into the skillet in a little bit of coconut oil. They were thin so it didn't take long, which is good coz coconut flour burns fast. Then I sliced up an entire giant leek and about 6 criemini mushrooms and lightly sauteed them in some butter and coconut cream that needed to be used up. I also tossed the egg wash in the skillet, figured why throw it out when I could eat it.

The big breakfast worked pretty well, wasn't hungry until 3 so I made a bone broth veg soup to get me through until dinner. Had basically the same thing for breakfast this morning. Thinking tonight I'll do sausage and cabbage.

My ass is killing me from all the up and down on the ladder yesterday while hanging xmas lights and all the squatting to pull weeds. Like I can barely walk now. This is my punishment for not doing squats for the last 3 months, tho to be fair I couldn't bend one knee for 2 of those. Today I'm supposed to dig up 6 rose bushes that died above the graft but happily sprouted from the rootstocks, which seem to be from some sort of demon rose with canes that grow 2 ft per day. Then clear out the other beds and run more xmas lights to outdo the guy across the street. Because it's a competition now, and one I must win.

But first, a nap is in order. :D

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

DW are you buying organic free range chickens or the one like Tysons using growth hormones?

Using hormones they can grow a chick to slaughter size/weight in 45 days instead of 90 for now homorned chickens.

Ganado likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@ditch witch, I usually put what I would guesstimate to be about two tablespoons each of Irish butter and coconut oil into my coffee to make the bulletproof coffee. I blend it all for 15-20 seconds and drink it down. Tastes pretty good, especially if you use strong coffee.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ditch witch and Ganado like this.
  17. ditch witch

I've grown broilers out to butcher weight in 8 weeks but they were Cornish/Rock crosses on a mad high protein feed. No hormones needed. A friend of mine is a contract grower for Sanderson farms, which eh I don't like, think it's gross raising them like that, but they're not given hormones. Right genetics, confined bird, they'll get that big. All they do is sit around in the dark and eat. But your standard dual purpose (or if you wanna be trendy, "heritage breed) bird won't grow that fast, and certainly not when they're running amok. I knew this, but this is the first time I've butchered birds that weren't bred for the rapid growth or kept penned like caged rats, and it kinda shocked me.

Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in chicken. Tyson did get busted using a coccidiostat that's classified as an antibiotic in their feed and claiming they didn't, and you can consider that a growth promoter since a cocci outbreak in your CAFO would def put a crimp on their production.

Meat Producing Chickens - Cornish Rock Cross Fast Growing Chicks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    AD1 likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Christamighty I love reading yer posts:lol::lol:

19. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

DW and all, if you have not watched Food Inc, please do

I will post a link shortly

This is the best I could fins now. Ignore the subtitles
    Its available on Amazon Prime Video free
    And
    NetFlix

Pay attention to the chicken rancher around 9:18

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Ganado likes this.
  20. ditch witch

I watched that when it first came out. All I'm saying is, federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones in chicken feed, and you don't need it anyway to take the Cornish hybrids to butcher weight by 8 weeks. Well, that and I actually know in real life one of the growers, and they don't use hormones.

Tully Mars and Ganado like this.
  1. runswithdogs
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Ganado
  4. cschattner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Ganado
  8. DarkLight
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Ura-Ki
  11. GrayGhost