DW's primal journal

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by ditch witch, Mar 7, 2014.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

The never-ending dust storms have kept me from going out and walking but the madcap cleaning frenzy seems to have finally broken my scale's resolve, and it grudgingly gave up another pound from its reading. This weekend we'll be going to the Mr.'s sister's house in DFW, but since they never seem to eat when we're there that shouldn't be a problem.

Next week I start martial arts classes. At one time the Mr. was a Kenpo/Tuite Jitsu/Kyusho Jitsu instructor, but he hasn't done anything in a decade and didn't look like he was going to teach me anything now. He wanted me to go to the Kenpo dojo but the Tae Kwan Do place also has kickboxing and traditional boxing as well as a weight room, plus they aren't going to stick me in a class full of twelve year olds.

Made a crustless pizza Monday night that we had again for lunch and dinner yesterday. I didn't do the meat crust this time, just cooked up a pound of ground buffalo and a pound of ground italian pork sauage, mixed it with the Cadia pizza sauce, put on bottom of casserole dish, then layered with black olives, onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, and four kinds of cheese. Into the oven for 30 min, then under the broiler for a minute or two to give the cheese a nice browning. MMMM! Yesterday we did Chinese buffet for lunch. I avoided the fried stuff and stuck with pepper onion beef and cashew chicken, tho I did snag a couple of those little fried chicken wings they always have. Figured two wouldn't kill me. :) Had a hard time figuring that out for my diet tracker tho. Tonight is carne asada with a tomatillo avocado salsa... done it before and it's yummy.

Scale: -1
    Total: -21

Monday.JPG Tuesday.JPG Wednesday.JPG

2. ditch witch

Spending the weekend with his family down south and eating out a lot. Will grab dinner on the drive there this evening. He'll want fast food, but MickeyDs has a bacon ranch grilled chicken salad that's not bad. Toss the croutons and it'll be fine. I'll pop one of my choco fat bombs before we leave so I don't have the munchies the entire trip.

I have discovered a plate covered with mozzerella, pepperoni, and mushrooms, popped in the microwave for 1:30 minutes, is friggin delicious. Suppose I'll have to learn how to make pepperoni now so I'm not eating totally processed stuff. :/

Been taking measurements since the scale thinks it's Silent Bob. Lost one inch off my waist, one inch off my hips, and three inches off my boobs. Wait, what? :mad: Before I went ballistic I measured just the rib cage and found where the three inches vanished from so all is well.

Exercise is mostly massive house cleaning right now, 4-6 hours worth a day. Somehow I managed to pull a muscle in my left hip doing it, really sore on that side now. Needs to heal up fast tho. TKD starts on Monday, and classes are Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri.

Thursday.JPG Friday.JPG

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[winkthumb][rockon]

ditch witch likes this.
  4. ditch witch

Went completely off the reservation this weekend. :D Earned myself heartburn and an angry stomach for it too.

Saturday
    Breakfast: 2 donut holes and 2 kolaches (it was that or starve until dinner)
    Lunch: skipped
    Dinner: Steak fajitas, 2 tortillas
    Snack: little bag of sugar free choco covered pecans

Sunday
    Breakfast: skipped
    Lunch: Fried catfish, fried pickles w ranch dressing, french fries, hush puppies, garden salad
    Dinner: 1/4 pound hamburger patty, 1 hot dog weenie, some melted cheese on both, and a diet dr pepper

Back on the wagon this morning
    Breakfast: coconut milk/cream/strawberry smoothie
    Lunch: 2 pieces bacon, 2 eggs fried in their yummy grease, heh
    Dinner: Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms Paleo Shrimp-Stuffed Mushrooms | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo

Yard Dart and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

:D

6. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Amazing how our bodies get used to eating right and let you know when you feed it something not good.

Glad you are back on the wagon.

7. ditch witch

My left hip had been bothering me last week, nothing major just a sore muscle. Last night at my first taekwondo class it started to sing. Naturally I immediately quit what I was doing and went and sat down.

Yeah right. That would mean admitting I'm old and fat and can't keep up. Instead I kept going, all the way through to the end of the class, including one brief moment where I thought I was going to barf from the shrieking in my hip.

And this morning I took myself to the doctor, who declared it to be bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot in the hip, along with some muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatory. Also orders to avoid jumping about for at least the next 7 days, and to double check the birth date on my driver's license.

I'm already getting crap about being the old lady who threw her hip out in karate class. :mad: On the upside the doctor, who hasn't seen me since last fall I think, immediately commented that I'd lost weight and gave me two thumbs up for going primal. Also the office scale gave me a happy number slightly lower than what mine claims.

Breakfast at 6 am today, 2 bacon 2 fried eggs
    Lunch: nothing
    Dinner: takeout shrimp and snow peas... which I'm thinking right now would go better with some added bacon...

8. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

EVERYTHING is better with bacon :)

ditch witch, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  9. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Great job DW!!
    Sorry about the hip......

ditch witch likes this.
  10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I still haven't managed to incorporate any regular exercise into my routine. Good job trying to get to some workout into your program. Rest up and give 'er another try.

ditch witch likes this.
  11. ditch witch

Went to TKD class last night. I was going to sit on the side and just watch, but changed my mind and got on the mat. Did everything but the kicks. Was informed I'm a very quick learner. :D Then came home and found the Mr. eating mac&cheese. He was trying to hide it but I can sniff that stuff out anywhere. Didn't eat any, but if I find leftovers in the fridge today I can't swear I won't reheat some. :rolleyes:

No idea what I'm eating today. Have another TKD class tonight, and since it's 6-7 it makes fixing dinner a bit awkward. Wed I cooked extra chicken for last night but I don't have anything for tonight. Probably set out steaks for the Mr. to throw on the grill. Rest of today, don't know. It's almost 8 am and I'm really, really hungry.

Scale: -5.8
    Total: -26.8

Wednesday.JPG Thursday.JPG

12. Yard Dart

Breakfast= BACON!!!! [winkthumb]

13. ditch witch

Breakfast: 2 piece bacon, 2 fried eggs
    Lunch: baby spinach, cheddar, flax seed, caesar dressing
    Dinner: steak
    Snack: 1/4 c pepitas

Ignoring the left over macNcheese.... for now.

Yard Dart and Sapper John like this.
  14. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I have found buying Macadamia nuts at Costco is really helpful. 4-5 for a little snack adds fat and protein to the diet and they fast great.

Yard Dart and Sapper John like this.
  15. Yard Dart

I prefer almonds as a snack... they are almost addictive and I have to cut myself off pretty quick....:cool:

16. ditch witch

ATM I have sliced almonds and pepitas. Ran out of macadamias. I have to weigh them or yeah I'll pig out. The sliced almonds seem like I'm eating more than when they're whole. Guess it's the visual.

TKD class last night went an hour and a half. I got to throw some people on the ground, which was fun. Got thrown to the ground, which, not so much fun. Still can't do any kicks that put weight on my left leg or swivel on that hip but it's getting better.

Yesterday my mother called to argue with me over cutting out grains. I knew better than to ever say anything, but I couldn't resist taking a swipe at her nutritional advice last week. Told her I'd cut out all grains and legumes and my acid reflux and asthma practically evaporated within a week and my back pain dropped from a solid 10 to a 3. It took her a week to ready her lecture on why I was 100% in the wrong. Conversations with my mom are pointless and one sided, because whether I actually reply to her or set the phone down and go do dishes, she will never know because she doesn't listen to anything I or anyone else says. Dad turns off his hearing aids. I have no such luxury.
    "Where did you get your information on cutting out whole grains?"
    "What difference does it make if it's working?"
    "Are you following Dr. Oz? I don't like him, he's very extreme."
    "No, I'm following evolutionary logic. We didn't learn to walk upright eating wheat bread and baked beans."
    "Whole grains are very healthy for you."
    "Then you keep eating them."
    "Mercola is way out there as well. I sent him an email explaining why whole grains are healthy. Oh and you know that special whole wheat bread I get from Whole Foods? I'm going to send you some." (yes, my mother actually sends me loaves of bread in the mail, along with clothes 3 sizes too big to remind me that I'm a big fat slob)
    "Don't waste your money. I'm not going to eat it."
    "It's the best bread I've found anywhere. Have you tried it?"
    "I don't eat bread, mom."
    "Brown rice is good for you too. It's good for diabetes."
    "I don't have diabetes, mom, that's your second son. And I'm not eating rice either."
    "Have you considered that maybe you only think your asthma and acid reflux are better because you want them to be?"
    "Right. And the 26 pounds I've lost are all in my head too."
    Wait, pause. Something that she can't argue with or outright dismiss just came up. Time to change topics!
    "Those tea kan de classes you're taking, do you get any exercise from that?"
    "It's taekwondo, and yes. It's like karate."
    "Exercise would probably help your blood pressure."
    "Which is 115 over 73. Thanks for playing."
    After half an hour of this idiocy she finally switched to telling me all about her elderly neighbor's recent haircut, perceived vanity, and bowel movements, at which point I did put the phone down, did the dishes, and came back to find she'd never noticed my absence. When she finally hung up, no doubt to go nag my dad for a few hours, I emailed her some youtube clips of TKD sparring matches and my all time idol, Chloe Bruce. I knew exactly when she got them because my phone blew up. Naturally I ignored her calls. She'll email me sometime today to tell me how dangerous that looks, how I should stick to walking, and likely offer to buy me a treadmill... again.

Breakfast: bacon N eggs.... the black pepper molasses bacon we cured is magnifique!
    Lunch: garlic caesar salad, pepitas
    Dinner: thinking korean beef n peppers, unless the Mr wants to go out.

Friday.JPG

Quigley_Sharps and Motomom34 like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[LMAO] I say we get the "mom's" together. Yours sounds just like mine. We could get them together, both talking at the same time, not listening to the other cause they know they are right.... scary!

ditch witch likes this.
  18. ditch witch

It's been 2 months now since I started Primal. Between March 7 and May 9 I've shed slightly over 26 pounds. My jeans went down 2 sizes, and my t-shirts dropped a size. Acid reflux has gone from a Pepcid every day to none, haven't used my inhaler in a month, and I'm no longer gobbling pain pills like Skittles. I'm not pain free but certainly pain ignorable now, and my energy levels are way up. My sleep schedule has adjusted to where I'm ready to go to bed by 11 and generally awake and on my feet by 8, instead of my previous 3 am to noon sleep pattern. I've managed to incorporate regular yoga and basic stretching into my daily routine, and now with the martial arts classes 4 days a week I'm hoping to see a repeat performance in the scale and jeans departments. :D

Breakfast: 2 bacon 2 eggs
    Lunch: Caesar salad
    Dinner: Paleo Chop & Drop Roasted Veggies & Sausage Recipe | Paleo Newbie
    Snacks: 1/4 c pepitas

19. Quigley_Sharps

Great Job!
    I have too some of the same things alleviated ,I had acid reflux and allergies both are now gone.

ditch witch likes this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Congratulations!

PS- I love those shoes!

ditch witch likes this.
  1. runswithdogs
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Ganado
  4. cschattner
  5. Yard Dart
  6. Dunerunner