E-book Reader

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

This seems like the appropriate place to ask...

Anyone here using an E-book reader? What type and why?

I am interested in getting one with maximum format capability. Everything from PDF to word documents. What should I look for?

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

iPad.

Does all you list above +plus.

The kindle folks are making an advert campaign out of the fact that the screen glare in the sunlight is bad. My answer would be to just not take it to the beach.

I do not have one (yet) but Craftymofo does-- maybe he'll chime in.

3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I've been using the iPad for a few months now. I have to say that it does everything I need it for, and does it very well. I haven't turned my pc on a single time since bringing the iPad home.

Over the fourth of July, I downloaded 4 books on the kindle app. I buzzed right thru them, and really enjoyed them. Most of my time reading was inside my cabin at night and on the porch during the day. I didn't have any issues with glare, but I wasn't sitting on the beach either. To me, each of these devices has strengths and weaknesses. For some, the kindle has superior readability. I happen to like the ability to surf the net easily, and the applications the iPad has to offer.

You can also try a netbook instead, if you want to save a few bucks. I think the iPad screen is superior to any netbook I have seen. Like most things from Apple, the engineering and interface is top shelf.

4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have 2 co-workers with E-Book readers, one has a Kindle the other a Nook. Both like them.

I'm looking at the Nook myself. It does not work with .doc & .txt but I don't see that as a problem. It does work with .pdf files and I have a product called "PrimoPDF" (it's free). PrimoPDF is a "printer" for your PC that will print just about anything to a PDF file.

I think it's going to come down to what do you really want to do with it? read books & files only or do you want to do more with it?

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

HighSpeed,
    You make any decision on what e-book reader your gettin'?

6. drthtater

drthtater Monkey+

I use the Kindle, and I love it. If I want to go to websites, or watch movies, I have a laptop for that. The kindle does what it does well, because that's all it does.

7. enough

enough Monkey++

I have a second gen kindle. It was a gift. I would never spend that much on a reader. I started using Kindle for Mac a little while ago and loved it, then tried Kindle for Droid on my cell phone. Now, that was the ticket. I love the droid since I can use word documents, google apps, pdfs, kindle files, and anything from the Guggenheim project.

I have not used the droid to read long pdfs though, just office documents. I can imagine that image based files could get a little hard on the eyes.

I have put all kinds of free books on the kindle though. I have a virtual history of early American Presidents' speeches, correspondence, biographies, etc.

Considering my new love for Macs, I would seriously consider the iPad if I was in the market for something new. Or, one of the new Droid based devices....

8. Bear4570

Bear4570 Monkey+++

Bought my wife a Nook for Christmas, would never buy another one. Been sent back twice for replacement, had to go to B&N 5 times to have the software deleted and updated with newer software before we could get it to work. Never Again would I buy a Nook.

9. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

iPad,I really like the features

10. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

I bought a Kindle 3 in November. I love that thing! It goes almost everywhere with me. I also looked at the Nook, and liked it as well.

I went with the Kindle because it is from Amazon. I use Amazon regularly, and like their selection of books. No slam against B & N, I visit their stores quite often.

I'm interested in the iPad, but I bought a great laptop last year and it does all the iPad can do and much more. Maybe if they drop the price some, I'd bite. Not sure.

The Kindle and Nook are much easier on the eyes than either laptops or the iPad from what I understand. Less eyestrain.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

We have 3 nooks ... love them... 2 color and 1 b/w.. I use a pdf writer to print .txt & .doc files and it works well... some minor issues with scalability on pictures within pdfs but i haven't tried tofind a work around...

12. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Bought my wife a Nook for Christmas. She has been bed-ridden with pneumonia so this has been much welcomed.

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I hope she get's better soon Sea.

14. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I have been thinking of buying a E reader, which ones work well with down loads from a lap top?

15. Gray Bear

Gray Bear Monkey+++

If by downloads from a laptop you mean PDFs, both the Kindle and the Nook can handle them. Just not very well in some cases.

I try to convert any pdf books I have to mobi format for my Kindle. For the Nook it would be Epub format.

In either case, the free program Calibre will take care of it for you, as long as there is no DRM in what you want to convert.

Hulka73 likes this.
  16. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I have the 6" Kindle...works great and lets me take pretty much my whole library with me.

I am one of those who may be reading 3-4 books at a time depending on my mood, so it is great to have them all in one small package.

It is the only one I tried, so I really can't compare it to the others....but I haven't found anything to make me wish for another.

17. ikean

ikean Monkey++

i use kindle for pc, ive not paid for a book yet, yes i read a lot of old stuff, but i found some cool survival stuff here and there. i put a bunch of pdfs of mauals and stuff too.

18. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If they could make a Kindle EMP proof, that would rule.

Hrm...I wonder.

19. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

one of the first books I read on my e-reader was One Second After, followed closely by Lights Out.

20. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I loaded barnes and nobles nook software onto my 500 gig hp laptop, I havnt downloaded anything onto it yet, but am looking at several hundred books to do that very thing to. A friend of mine actually got a kindle for christmas...I've played with it a little bit and its not to aweful bad, I just really don't care for the size.......but it does hold alot of material?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7