E-book Reader

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by Hispeedal2, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Hulka73

Hulka73 Monkey+++

My nook holds a ton of stuff. I think the website says over a 1000 books. I have about 21 books, and 45 various pdf's on it. There's also a slot on the back for an sd expansion card for more memory. I also have the program on my pc at work, uhhhh, no wait nevermind.............LoL.

2. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

It sounds like Nook or Kindle is the fav around here. I haven't bought yet. It seems there is a new one every other day. LOL

3. sweetdixie

sweetdixie Monkey+

Hi ya'll......... I am electronically challenged.... Are ya'll talking about downloading FREE books???????? What website can I go to to get in on this savings..... I need a 3rd job to finance my reading habit. Non-fiction only for me though..

Many thanks from Deep within Dixie!

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Google has a good sized free library that you can get for your computer... Barnes and Nobles has some free books but many are previews or short stories and such... some of the books are full sized from folks hoping to break into writing... many of these are pretty good for the price...

5. jb1023

jb1023 Monkey++

Amazon has a bunch of free books, tons of classics and some newer stuff as well. Never thought of checking Google for free books, good suggestion.

6. Cyblade

Cyblade Monkey+

I've got the Sony PRS-600 Touch and I love it. It will handle a ton of diffrent formats and can take both Sony memory sticks and SD memory cards and it holds a good charge for along time. I like to use it when I'm going to the doctors or when I'm on a trip. Get a solar charger with a mini usb tip and you can charge it when the lights go out for good.

7. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

I love my 3G Kindle. I share books between it and my iPod Touch. That came in handy on my last hike since I had music and reading material on a single (smaller) device. I almost always have my nose buried in the Kindle these days.

8. dreamin'

dreamin' Monkey+

I have downloaded the Kindle app to my Droid and I love it. Even with the smaller screen It is a very easy read. And ultra portable too. I have copies of my entire digital library saved onto the microSD card in the phone. My library is always with me.

9. Hazy Davey

Hazy Davey Monkey+

My first was a Nook Color. It had an SD card slot for more memory but poor battery life. I took it back and got the black and white version. It say's it will hold 1500 books. I use Calibre for file conversion and get free books from Google and Scribd plus all of the files I find on the internet. I have compiled 46GB of information on survival, preparedness and self sufficiency backed up to three different hard drives. It is time to make an EMP proof storage storage container.

10. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Ipad in an otter box case!

11. MasterDuf58

MasterDuf58 Monkey++

Another option perhaps?

I know there haven't been posts in a while, but I just recently purchased a Viewsonic G tablet. I'm still getting used to it, but I like it very much. It is more than an e reader, it has a good processor and can do many things beside being used as just an E reader. Take a look!

12. Dubs Chops

Dubs Chops Monkey+

I ended up with the B&W nook. I actually have 2 of them. one for my wife and one for me. They are great I love them!

13. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Just picked up a Color NOOK last night. So far, I'm pretty impressed with it. I had planned on rooting it, to make it 'more like a tablet', but I may not as i am happy with the way it's working now.

14. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I don't think I ever posted my decision.

I went with Nook. I ended up getting a near new B&W Nook from a buddy at my work for $75. His daughter needed to upgrade to color for use with text books and so I got a great deal.

I really enjoy it. Been using it now for about 3-4 months now.

15. Bumbury

Bumbury Monkey+

i have a an older kindale 2 got on ebay cheap 35. dont need wifi and or an account with amazon.. their is enough free ebooks online i have most everything on it.. but i will start a paper binder soon

16. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got a Kindle 3 days ago and am reading my 3rd book having finished the first 2. I read Dean Koontz's "What The Night Knows" and then "Frankenstein" which was free. Now I'm reading "Border Crossing" which is also free. There's also games like Poker, Blackjack and Minesweeper - I love this thing!

17. Bumbury

Bumbury Monkey+

Google free pdf ebooks and yu'll find a bunch of neat sites to download ebooks.... Also try the calibar ebook sync for yur elibrary

18. Deadcenter

Deadcenter Monkey+

After owning/using an iPhone for a bit more than 2 years, I developed an intense disklike for itunes ... so I'd never own an iPad.

I have an Android phone now, and have the free kindle app, I see B&N has a free app too, I'll have to check that out :D

19. Buckskin

Buckskin Monkey+

I have a KOBO reader. It works. Reading pdf's is a bit rough. E-books are fine.

20. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Find an online (or downloadable) converter for the PDF's to your E-Books format.
    I've been doing that with my PDF's for my nook, makes them much easier to read.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7