Earth Bermed / Sunken Greenhouse

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Jan 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

This website has some ideas about building an earth bermed / sunken greenhouse. It may help extend the growing season for some folk whose location experiences shorter growing seasons than milder climates.

[​IMG]
    Via: Build a $300 underground greenhouse for year-round gardening (Video)

An excellent reference for earth sheltered solar greenhouses is Mike Oehler's book:-

upload_2016-1-4_21-18-43.

Via:The Earth Sheltered Solar Greenhouse Book: Mike Oehler, Ross, Anita Bedard, Katie Purviance, Cassie Eisenhower, Chandel Oyharsabal, Sarah Tye, David Fairall: 8601400860021: Amazon.com: Books

[​IMG]
    Via:File:Oehler greenhouse.jpg - Open Source Ecology

Greenhouses - Open Source Ecology

2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Wonder how that will work in places with a lot of rain.

pearlselby and Motomom34 like this.
  3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Bermed, rather than sunken below grade...though, if you look at Oehler's set up. because he has built it into a fairly steepish slope, the lowest point of the set up is close enough to grade to drain the cold sink with agricultural pipe reasonably easily. Otherwise, a sump and sump pump may be a work around.

Hanzo and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Good idea to have a sump pump or drain set up because you don't want to drown your rabbits. jk

Seriously- this is a really cool idea. Thanks for posting. Need to read more on this concept

pearlselby likes this.
  6. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

I really want that.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

There is an area on my place that might be just right for this kind of arrangement .
    I don't get enough rain to be a problem , as a matter of fact creating a reservoir might be the ticket just below the green house.
    If the rain water is gathered into a settling pond then filtered into the fish pond that water can be cycled into the garden.
    I get just enough wind that could drive a mill for circulating the water from the pond to the garden .

kellory and chelloveck like this.
  1. natshare
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. TnAndy
  4. runswithdogs
  5. Thunder5Ranch
  6. Oltymer
  7. kateTV
  8. duane
  9. greathomesteader
  10. Motomom34
  11. Gopherman