East Bay high school nixes plan to honor black history with fried chicken, watermelon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Feb 6, 2014.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

If they wanted to honor White history month (which does not exist) with White bread, cheese burgers, French fries and micro brew so be it I am up for seconds and thirds and fifths on the beer...
    ...............................................................................
    East Bay high school nixes plan to honor black history with fried chicken, watermelon - SFGate Blog

Plans to celebrate Black History Month with a lunch of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon did not go over well at a private high school in Concord.

Administrators at Carondelet High School, an all-girl Catholic school, are apologizing to students and parents this week for proposing a menu that some complained perpetuated racial stereotypes, NBC Bay Area reported.

In a letter sent to the homes of students, Principal Nancy Libby wrote, “I’d like to apologize for the announcement and any hurt this caused students, parents or community members. Please know that at no time at Carondelet do we wish to perpetuate racial stereotypes.

“Please know also that I have looked into this matter, determined how this happened and have already taken steps to ensure this does not occur again,” Libby wrote.

Administrators agreed to remove watermelon from the celebration, scheduled for Friday. They were expected to remove the chicken and cornbread, too.

swampbilly likes this.
  2. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'll take all their fried chicken and watermelon! LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE fried chicken!!!

swampbilly, oldawg, tulianr and 2 others like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

In for Popeye's and red bean's n' rice !

tulianr likes this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Stereotypes exist for a reason. Don't want to perpetuate them, then don't perpetuate them YOURSELF but don't get all bent out of shape if someone else, based on their experience, classifies you using stereotypes.

Stereotypes are simply compression algorithms for people.

And for the record, I know a LOT of black people (who call themselves black) who LOVE them some fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Oprah's most memorable meal was cornbread and black-eyed peas.

BTPost likes this.
  5. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

I don't see what the problem is... Throw in some grape drank for the beverage and I'm all in.. Sounds like a damn good lunch to me !

6. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

People just got mad becouse they left out the BBQ rib's.
    Matt

7. -06

-06 Monkey+++

People are just too PC, apologetic, and pansy a---- to stick to their "guns". Serve it and if some do not like it then stay the hell at home. I would love to come as I like all three and more "soul food". My favorite evening meal is cornbread, milk, and onions. Give me pintos instead of steak any day.

8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

Wait if I like those foods, does that mean I'm black?!

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7