Easy Camp Cooking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tracy, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

While readying for a recent camping trip, my co-camper mentioned that she was precooking. Precooking? We had already determined the daily menus, but I had never done (or ever even thought of) precooking before.

Sausage, bacon, taco meat - all done. Heat lightly over the fire (or stove) and voila! We didn't precook anything like burgers or dogs (but they're done quickly anyway).

Non-cooking time savers: Eggs were pre-scrambled and zip-locked. Cheese, lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes were pre-shredded, chopped and/or sliced.

If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it. Full, hot breakfasts were ready before the coffee was. Lunches and dinners were whipped up before anyone could complain about how they were starving.

Clean up was much easier than it's ever been. It eliminated the need for some of my camp cookware and utensils, which equaled a streamlined kitchen area. From a camp cook's perspective; it was awesome!

2. fortunateson

fortunateson I hate Illinois Nazis!

Kept in a cooler?
    Wonder how pre-cooked keeps compared to fresh.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Yes. Kept in the cooler. We were gone 5 days and were still munchin' on the bacon. Sealed and cold are key.

I can't say that I'd eat 5th-day bacon (even freshly heated) without worrying - I'd certainly not feed it to the kids.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Lots of folks on the Camping forums like the camp cooking - it's part of the fun!

Me though, I am good with a few pouches of Mountain House and some boiling water....... ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7