EASY FISHING

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by pizzamonkey, Dec 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Fist handgun squirrel I got was taken with a ruger T512 bull barrel 5" auto. . Big old gray shot at him sent him up the tree.took better aim shot him on a branch , he fell but caught the branch with one paw and hung onwhere he died. I had to shimmy up the tree until it got too whippy, shake the branch until he finally slipped off. shimmied down, 6 hours in a crock pot/carrots celery and what all . You could not chew through the tough wirey grampa.

but I still like to hunt'em...Luckily my shooting has improved.

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

This thread got kinda hijacked, eh? I'll ask my wife about posting her recipe, but I did find one on the net in the meantime.

cut squirrel into pieces
    boil in pot till meat falls off bone
    add salt/pepper to taste when boiling
    put oil or bacon grease into skillet
    add meat and brown- -keep enough oil to absorb flour, about two table spoons, stir as you add the broth from the cook pot and remove from when it reaches the way you like your gravy- -use homemade biscuits or store bought- -what ever is your favorite.

3. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Homemade biscuits. Store bought is a blasphemy. Though I couldn't cook 'em to save my life. Haha. Love the squirrel and gravy. Good eatin' that.

Reminds me of a story I have.

I lived across the road from an old abandoned house when I was younger. Trees grew up all around it and it looked like a mini-forest that was seperated from the neighboring houses by a stretch of tracks. Me and my younger brother used to go hunting in those woods. He had a .410 and I had a .20 gauge. My mom wanted us to be safe so she bought us both these bright orange hunting vests that had a game pocket on the back of them. They didn't look bad and the pocket was good for putting your squirrels in.

Me and my brother headed out and we were doing okay, only two squirrels between us, though it was good. A couple more and we'd have a nice little supper. He spies this one reddish looking squirrel just running around the treetops and barking it's head off to beat the band. We both know that as long as it's doing that, we'll not have other furry company.

He takes aim with his shotgun and lets loose. My brother being about 14 at the time. He still gets a kick out of firing that shotgun. He's all excited and everything and the squirrel falls down on the ground. I commend him on his shot and he puts the squirrel in his game bag. Now we know that that is the end of that squirrel and his buddies will soon make themselves available for the stewpot.

So we start looking around for more targets of opportunity when all of a sudden I hear this high-pitched wailing scream. Nearly gave me a friggin' heart attack. The source, my brother. He is hollering uninteligible words and dancing around like a madman waving his shotgun everywhere while doing a strip show. I'm thinking he's done gone bonkers or something. I'm really starting to wonder as I rush over to see what the heck is happening.

About that time he removes his vest and commences to shoot holes into it. I didn't know what to think. I'm thinking maybe some kind of snake had fallen on him or something. Well, when he calms down he tells me the story.

When we had started again to search for more squirrel, he says he felt something scratch him like something was behind him. He says he reached back and felt where it had 'touched' him and then he felt this bouncing around in his vest. Seems that our little furry friend that made all the racket, was not dead, just merely unconcious. The thing had awakened and started trying to get out of that vest using all the strength that it had.

So a clawing and squirming squirrel didn't seem like fun to my brother, as it had startled him something fierce, and he did the only thing he could think to do and that was to get out of the vest. Doing so and being scared that it had come alive in his bag, he commenced to make sure it was dead.

Funny things happen to your mother's eyes when you tell a tale like that. They get real small like she thinks you are lying, though when you show her the mess of squirrel and the vest with the holes in it, they tend to get real big.

That's my most memorable hunting experience and my brother still will never use a built-in game pouch.

[LMAO]

4. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[LMAO] Great story!

5. TailorMadeHell

I remember it like it was yesterday. It's one of the ones I hold tight to. Maybe we could make a funny hunting stories thread. Would definitely give us a laugh or two. I'm sure my brother wouldn't mind. Hahaha.

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Around our house which biscuits depends on who is makeing them and for what purpose. If Tina makes them they make great skeet targets but if they are for eating then eitherI make them from scratch or she makes them from the can.

The last time she made biscuits from scratch it took her a while to see the humor in it after I took them out side, set up the skeet thrower, and started launching them into the air and shooting them. lol

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

[LMAO]

You didn't seriously do that did you?

[LMAO]

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup. At the time she failed to see the humor in it but even she has to chuckle about it now. The first few I just tossed to see how farr they would fly then decided they did well enouph to shoot at. We still keep wondering if they would be enviromentaly friendly or if the birds would try to eat them and chip their beaks. lol

9. TailorMadeHell

[fnny] Chip a beak. [LMAO]

10. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

And then there's the other reason why I don't start fishing threads. hehehe

11. Screaming Eagle

Screaming Eagle Monkey+++

There's also a contraption for fishing known as a 'yo-yo'. White's auto-fisher is the official name but there are some other brands also. Basically, it's an active limb line with cord around a spool. Pull the cord out the desired depth, a little hook sets one side of the spool with a spring inside. Fishy takes the minnow, sets the hook and waits until you come get him. They cost about $2 each and I've got some that I've had for 25 years or so.

About the squirrel in the bag story. I shot a wood duck one time. Knocked him down, put him down on the ground and waited for some more. I'm here to tell you that duck woke up, took off with me chasing him on foot at first. I emptied my shotgun out of embarrassment and missed him all 3 times. I swore I'd never tell anybody that story. He's probably still alive out there to this day. NO!!

12. KCwelder

KCwelder Monkey+++

An older gent that I work with told me his method for harvesting turkeys when he was younger and money not so plentiful.

Take an old queen size box spring matress into the woods and set it on fire. After it has cooled drag, it about 100 yards farther into your trapping grounds and scatter about 1 lb. of whole or cracked corn into the springs. Check the trap (from a distance) every 4-6 hours.

He told me that at one time, he had 4 dead in the trap and 3 getting ready to die.

For SHTF use only. :sneaky:

13. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Anyone ever try this?
    Banging on boat and using a bright light.

<object height="350" width="425">
    Off to a family reunion
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lmbmNdk7ozc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="350" width="425"></object>

14. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

For trapping post SHTF box traps are great. If you use a conibear in 90+ degree weather you may not what to eat it if it's been dead very long. But in a box trap it will still be alive when you go to get it so no meat spoilage. A catch pole made out of some cable and a 3-4 foot peice of conduit will get the animal out of the trap. Then you can dispatch it with a club or hammer which is very quite, and uses no ammo.

OGM

15. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Great video Melbo!

1. chelloveck
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Bishop
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]