Eclipse "Panic" Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Aug 18, 2017.

1. john316

john316 Monkey+++

I AM GOING 300 MILES TO WATCH..........PLAN ON TOPPING OFF MY GAS EVERY 100 MILES..
    1 TOP OFF.............GETS ME 100 MILES TOWARD HOME
    2ND TOP OFF ........GETS ME 2/3 OF THE WAY HOME
    3 TOP OFF ...SUNDAY NIGHT..WILL GET ME hOME
    I WILL HAVE ENOUGH FOOD AND WATER FOR 3 DAYS FOR 3
    WE HAVE A reservation FOR SUNDAY NIGHT BUT IT IS NOT PAID FOR so we will see
    we have another place that we could stay if it falls through

Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Eclipse traffic is slamming gas stations – and delis – as Colorado migration begins

The weekend traffic has extended Colorado’s typical summer travel season by a week

Denver Post w pics
    The great solar eclipse migration has already begun in Colorado

"Love’s Travel Stops spokeswoman Kealey Dorian said the national chain usually sees traffic dropping around this time as the summer travel season ends. But the eclipse is extending that season by a week or two.

Most of the chain’s stores are staffing the eclipse weekend as if it were a holiday weekend, bringing in an extra worker or two, she said. Stores have worked with vendors to make sure they were stocked on items that typically sell well over the summer, such as bottled water and small snacks. "All in all, however, the weekend isn’t fazing the chain too much, she said. “For us, it’ll be more of the same.”

Small boost to a local vendor...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  3. DKR

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Seepalaces like this.
  4. DKR

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    chelloveck, Motomom34 and Seepalaces like this.
  5. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Heh, I hope so, but in all honesty, as much as Portland loves their protesters, Salem hates them. And, I mean HATES them. There are a few vids of our cops taking down Antifa whackjobs and if you watch them you'll see the cops smiling. Very little would make them happier than getting the chance to put a few of those baddies behind bars. You never see those protests going far out of Portland b/c the rest of the state won't tolerate their nonsense.

6. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

And on the radio news today gas prices jacked up and gas stations running out of gas.

Seawolf1090 and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Anyone who has been through a hurricane evac knows what to expect in a situation like this. Saw on the news feed on my favorite weather station the fun is already starting. One short video blurb hinted at a death at a viewing site, but had no real info.

8. RJB

RJB Monkey+++

I thought people quit fearing eclipses in the middle ages. That said, with all the travelers, an EMP would be exponentially worse.

I'm within an hour of the totality. My town will be a ghost town with just about everyone I know going to see it. I've been joking that robber would have it made.

My oldest son (6 years old) is an astronomy fanatic. So we're going to a church camp with a few families we know and make a mini vacation.

The funny thing is, despite me joking about superstitious fears of eclipses, deep inside I hold them. I'm still going down there with enough preps in case we have to walk it back home.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  9. RJB

RJB Monkey+++

My biggest worry is the traffic. It sounds like it will stink.

Seepalaces likes this.
  10. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

@RJB From today's experience, it does. There are warnings of extreme delays South bound !-5 on the Amber Alert highway signs for Monday and Tuesday... Ya Think! o_O

Seepalaces likes this.
  11. RJB

RJB Monkey+++

On rare occasions I do :)
    I'm hoping my rural area doesn't suffer the congestion that some of the more populated area do.

Seepalaces and Dunerunner like this.
  12. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Help me..

I'm not ready for The End of The World yet..

I'm unprepared and still have a million things left to do..

Help me I have no
    BOL to go to
    One bottle of water
    And a couple energy bars

Should I worry and start rationing my supplies...

13. DKR

8:30 A.M. UPDATE: An increase in traffic flow on Idaho highways has been staggered over a few days, according to a solar eclipse traffic count from Idaho Transportation Department at 8 a.m. Monday. That includes a significant uptick in northbound traffic on I-15 toward Pocatello and Idaho Falls.

But “it appears there is a lot of traffic movement this morning as people try to get into place to view the eclipse,” ITD wrote.

More is expected Monday or early Tuesday after the eclipse. “This means that I-15 will most likely experience significant congestion heading south towards Utah,” ITD wrote.

Traffic still moing

Seepalaces likes this.
  14. DKR

Traffic slows Saturday, Aug. 19, 2017, on southbound Interstate 57 near a construction zone by the Curtis Road exit in Champaign as travelers headed to watch Monday's total solar eclipse make their way toward Carbondale.Ill.

Jam is due to the road work - so far

Seepalaces likes this.
  15. DKR

The Oregon State Police shared an image of the traffic jam on Twitter at 2 p.m. on Thursday saying Highway 26 was backed up all the way to Prineville for 15 miles as thousands made their way to the site of the Symbiosis Gathering, an arts and music festival that relocated this year to be in the path of the eclipse.

Reports from local news stations said gas stations in Bend and Prineville were seeing long lines and running out of gas entirely.

In this case, a Festival is likely the cause of the traffic jam. A local ODOT official was flown out and the jam was sorted out in les than an hour.

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/64/62/33/13838020/3/920x920.png

Seepalaces likes this.
  16. DKR

Eclipse explained in one cartoon

[​IMG]

chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  17. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Yea, I understand that... o_O

Some of it is in English... :D

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Nice to see that you're aliveand kicking and prepping still CC. (y)

Now, for a chelloveck pastafarian public service announcement.....
    [​IMG]

Dunerunner and ColtCarbine like this.
  19. john316

john316 Monkey+++

WE WENT...WE SAW....IT WAS GREAT. no problem with gas or eating out .I85 WAS REALLY BACKED UP AFTERWARD...
    WE took back roads back to I75 in middle of georgia ,it went fast and was fun...I75 was fine on south
    on the back roads.............my son told us where to go...if the phone had not worked we would have been LOST..HE took us down some very small roads..........it all worked out great with no backtracking
    BUT
    if the GPS and cell phones had not worked
    we could have been DEAD in the water
    we might still be driving around South Carolina
    TAKEAWAY....I SHOULD HAVE HAD PAPER MAPS OF SOUTH CAROLINA,GEORGIA, and florida as good as the maps on the phone.
    i have a book of maps of florida
    I WILL BE ADDING MAPS OF STATES NEAR ME WHERE I MIGHT DRIVE

driving the back roads was FUN
    WITH OUT MAPS........IT WOULD NOT

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Dunerunner likes this.
  20. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Made for some cool pictures through various filters. The wife decided to go to work at her office in the epicenter of the madness and took 2x longer to get to work and 4x longer to get home in the traffic. I just stayed home as planned, drank some beer, and took some crappy pictures :)

DSC00029.JPG

Dunerunner likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7