Economy blades: (even made in china)

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Thaddius Bickerton, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2015
  2. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

This was eye opening on chinese knives.

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Look for an older Western Bowie, trim down to your size and need.

CACK, cheap ass china knives

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

@stg58 Oh no, not Youtube Winchester knife testing...this can become a rabbit hole very quickly. ;) I would like to add that the Winchester knives, although economical, are very low quality in most cases. Some of the Winchester knives look good and the smaller knives may even perform some tasks well enough under ordinary circumstances, but all of them are only useful for barter in my opinion, and even then, only if they were gifted to you (which happens a lot I can attest). It amazes me how so many people continue to buy Winchester knives.

My suggestion to anybody looking for a budget stainless knife would be to buy BUCK knives, they are heat treated to perfection and will serve you well -and won't cost a great deal, either.

stg58 likes this.
  5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Boom!

China NO! Post Falls, ID and Buck...YES!!
    How Buck Knives are Heat Treated - Buck® Knives OFFICIAL SITE

PAUL BOS HEAT TREATING
    Heat treating is the process used to impart special qualities to metals and alloys (hardness, strength, ductility, etc.). When heat and subsequent cooling are applied to metals in their solid state, the physical and structural properties (but not the chemical composition) of these metals are changed. Different metals respond to treatment at different temperatures. Each metal has a specific chemical composition, so changes in physical and structural properties take place at different, critical temperatures. Depending on the temperature used, these changes can represent a change in grain size, increase in toughness, removal of internal stresses, or formation of a hard surface on a ductile core. In addition to changes induced by heat, the rate and method of cooling have an effect on the structural properties. For example, in carbon steels, a rapid cooling will produce a metal with a hard structure, while a slow cooling will produce the opposite effect. Even small percentages of elements in the metal composition, such as carbon, will greatly determine the temperature, time, method and rate of cooling that needs to be used in the heat treating process. To achieve the desired heat treating results, it is crucial for us to know the type of metal being submitted for treatment and the desired results (Rockwell Hardness).

We give credit where credit is due. Without this man, we would not have the patented heat treating system that has made our blades so legendary.

[​IMG]
    Paul Bos, a nationally known heat-treat authority has been heat-treating since 1956. Before his retirement from Buck Knives in 2010, he served 70% of America's custom knifemakers as well as overseeing all of the heat-treating in Buck Knives factory, where he was able to consulthttp://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/JNieporte/005-43.jpg with Buck's engineers. Paul's link to Buck Knives goes back to his early years when he worked on custom knives for Al Buck in the late 1950s. Buck Knives continues to operate Paul's heat treating business out of our factory, led now by Paul Farner who worked under Bos for many years.

The process Bos developed, which involves heating, freezing and then reheating of the steel is like none other in the business, and is why Buck knives are famous for being sharper out of the box and staying sharp longer.

In 2007 Bos was the recipient of the "Blade Magazine Industry Achievement Award" for the contributions and advances he made in heat treating technology. Furthermore, in 2010 he was inducted into the "Blade Magazine Cutlery Hall of Fame©" in recognition of nearly 50 years as the foremost authority on the heat treatment of steel for knife blades.

"No one could match Paul's dedication to the art of heat treating knife blades or his unwavering commitment to supporting custom knifemakers world-wide. He is living proof to the conviction that it takes more than just using good steel for making a fine blade; it's what you do with the steel that makes the difference," said Chuck Buck, Chairman of Buck Knives.

Even in his retirement, Bos continues in an advisory role for Buck Knives, and makes trips to the Idaho plant as needed. For more information on heat treating, or our heat treating services, see our Heat Treating page under About Buck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I didn't know much about Paul Bos and Buck's outstanding heat treat process until I bought a knife from a fellow Monkey, years ago. Of course, I am talking about @Valkman who no longer makes knives, unfortunately. But my Dad always carried a Buck knife, and I spent many hours sharpening his knives for him like any good son would when he would come home after a long day at work and his only chance to bond was knife talk. Good memories.

NVBeav likes this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Hanzo
  3. arleigh
  4. Taylor90
  5. Hanzo
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Zimmy
  8. Motomom34
  9. Brokor
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. itsmedave