EDC keychain or pocket flashlights

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Ever since the 90's when I had my first high rise office, I started caring a little flashlight with me. It is pitch black in a tall building when the power goes out. Fortunately, I had a window office, but navigating inside to get out, or even go to the bathroom was a challenge without a light.

So like the always carry a knife rule, which I adopted since I was a kid, I started to always carry a light. And still do. Back then, it was either a mini maglite or the AAA version. That was before LEDs were very prevalent.

When LEDs came about, I had an ARC AAA-P, which I still have to this day. One of the advantages of it is you can feed it dead batteries from something else and it will light up. Not very bright (by today's standards), but bombproof. Then, early FENIX lights in AAA that were brighter and had a couple of brightness modes. And on and on.

If I carry a bag, I may have a headlamp in there too. Started with Petzl. Now FENIX or Nitecore.

So what lights to you EDC? And how have you used them? Just got a new keychain light I am playing with... Rovyvon Aurora A8 G4. So far, I like everything about it except it is not waterproof. Just weatherproof.

2. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

IMG_20230902_063037.
    These three are almost always in my left shirt pocket. The stylus used to be enough, but old eyes need more light. If I was making my way out of a suddenly darkened Walmart the stylus would be enough. When you've twisted yourself into an unnatural position under a dashboard it's nice to be able to really light things up. The Streamlight rechargeable lights are tough.

duane, Alanaana, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  3. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

upload_2023-9-2_7-58-21.
    I like these. They are super cheap (15-18 FRNs), and they have that super-useful clip for attaching to a ballcap.

4. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I picked up a 3 pack of these at Harbor Freight like 10-12 years ago Black, Silver and Blue colors. The Black one had rode in my pocket with the Sharpy and Box Knife pretty much every day since. The other two found homes in truck consoles. Pretty rugged little lights for a 3 for $2 bargain bin special.
    DSC00628.JPG

Last edited: Sep 2, 2023
    beemerphill, duane, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  5. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

This is my every day keychain light. Little Fenix AAA fits on my keychain and is quite bright. Lots of wear over the last 8 years of extensive use. Love it. upload_2023-9-2_8-28-24. upload_2023-9-2_8-28-24.

duane, Kamp Krap, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

7. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I like the light on my cell phone. The calendar and calculator make my phone handy. I'm not into actually using my phone as a phone. the ringer is always off. It is also handy that I can charge the battery instead of buying batteries that don't last. I consider getting rid of it or at least putting it away in a bag or box that stops any signal when I am not using it. I admit I am bad about losing small flashlights and knives. Or they don't work when needed of course. A small knife for my keychain is a good idea. I lost the last one I had,

duane, Hanzo, Kamp Krap and 1 other person like this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Simplest light I've found, is one that you can attach to a keychain. In a pinch, I've used my phone's flashlight feature.....but if you don't have your phone, this is perfect, since you can attach it to your keychain. It won't accidentally turn on in your pocket, because you physically have to push the button with a little bit of force to turn it on.....and once you remove the pressure from the switch, it turns off again (momentary contact switch). Puts out a more than adequate amount of light, and they're cheap.

Available everywhere from Walmart, to dollar stores, I'd imagine. keychain light.

duane, Hanzo and Kamp Krap like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I actually carry a pair of pocket flashlights! One is a small single cell AAA size LED, it's super bright and super easy to reach and use, really handy for getting into small spaces to look around, and in the other pocket I have a 3 cell AA size LED which is super bright, like 650 Lumins worth that I keep for general uses!

duane, Hanzo and Kamp Krap like this.
  10. hot diggity

IMG_20230902_235701.
    I guess this is Plan B, c, d, e and f.

Top to bottom. Maratac AAA stainless mini light, unmarked USGI swivel clip LED light, Streamlight Microstream USB, Maratac stainless peanut lighter, and Photon II micro light.

They've all been forgotten in my car for years. All but the peanut lighter lit right up. The lighter just needed fuel. I noticed it had three spare flints in the bottom. The Photon has a cracked case but still lights up if you squeeze it. This is a light that you can squeeze with your teeth if you need both hands free. It's probably 15 years old. I'll be ordering a few more. Made in USA.

IMG_20230903_000344.
    Great thread Hanzo. Made me take a look at some of my back-up lights that live in extreme conditions in my car. Verified that they have pretty amazing battery life and made me think about lights that I could carry to hand off to others who may need them.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    duane, sourdough145 and Hanzo like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Night view

Close up use

duane and hot diggity like this.
  12. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I carry a AA Fenix. Yes the AAA size lights are much smaller but there are AA batteries in about everything thing: computer mouse, most TV and stereo remote controls, various radios, toys, whatever. You can retrieve AAs about everywhere.

Edit. More places I found/remembered:
    My bathroom scales
    Wife’s kitchen scales
    Garage door opener
    Weather station sender unit
    Bedroom clock
    Laser tape measure
    Laser plumb bob
    Red dot sight
    Sensor for intruder alarm
    Flash units for cameras
    Motor drive for cameras
    AA battery pack for HT ham radios

Places to buy:
    Every big box store
    Every building supply/home store
    Every farm store
    Every drug store
    Every dollar store
    Every gas station convenience store
    Every camera store
    Most campground stores
    Every chain food store

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    duane, Hanzo and hot diggity like this.
  13. hot diggity

Excellent point on battery availability. I've used the six AAAA batteries in my Streamlight Stylus.
    They don't have what's called a consumer tip, so you have to stretch the spring just a bit, but they work great and are in about half the nine volt batteries I've cut apart.
    KIMG1161.
    The little Proton Micro Light uses the same battery as a car remote and some optics.

Good to know about battery scrounging before I have to use raccoon fat Betty lamps for light.

duane and Hanzo like this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I keep a AA Eagletac in my bag. But I also have a power bank in my bag too.

15. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

I built an ammo box light. 60watt offroad light with four 8ah pouch batteries. Bright enough to make people see spots when I turn it on facing them. hard to lose and goes a long time before needing a charge.

duane and Hanzo like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Show picture of use in the dark!

duane likes this.
  17. TOPSCUSTOMKYDEX

TOPSCUSTOMKYDEX Neophyte Monkey

I served in the US ARMY in Europe during the Cold War when light discipline was still a concern. I bought a tiny Tekna red LED that ran on 4 hearing aid batteries. It gave off just enough light to read a topographical map etc. I came across it not long ago after decades of non use and it still worked like a charm.

Today I still carry an LED that runs on 2032s. They are tiny and come with a piece of plastic that keeps the batteries from making contact. Carrying the lights like this allows me to carry a light with new/fresh batteries. IMG_1673.

I replace the key rings with short pieces of Kevlar cord and put Velcro dots on either side of the light. This gives me the ability to stick the light on the brim of my ball cap or in the can of my truck… anywhere I need a little extra light.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I am liking the Rovyvon. Very light. Very versatile. Bright enough. My gate is 50-60 feet away and I can see it clearly even though the video is not great. Light are bright enough to read and navigate by. It charges really fast via USB C and I actually don't mind that charging method for my EDC purpose. Light is sooooo light weight.

My only gripe is I wish they would take away the red strobe and make is red moon light mode. The red light is really bright and if you want to be discreetly looking at something, it is too bright for discreet. You'd be better off with the white moon mode.

duane likes this.
  19. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Years ago I had a pen light that I loved. I could keep it in my pocket and not worry about it accidently getting turned on because the switch on the back was recessed. Somehow I lost the light and in trying to replace it every light I've found has, what I call, an exposed switch. Quite frequently I would see the light shining through my pants after getting bumped on or have a dead battery after a short time. So I finally decided to fix one of my lights!
    I 3d printed an open ended cap so that the switch is now recessed, no more accidental turning on of the light.
    PenCap2. PenCap1.

Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Dorcy AA is both simple on/off beam-focus as well.
    I have had this one for several years with no issues except outstanding service.
    I have found that those with a chip providing several light modes don't last long. You must replace batteries before they die or the low voltage kills the electronics. LEDs can handle it but the CPU can't.

duane, Hanzo and CraftyMofo like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Coyote Ridge
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. Ganado
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Motomom34
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. The_Prepared
  9. Shinzo
  10. Southbound
  11. Fatum1965