Edible Grasses

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Mortimer Adler Moose, Sep 17, 2012.

1. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Bud grows them all the time and they taste great.

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Gopherman @Ganado edible grasses. Have you two thought of growing these. I think some of these will be on my to be planted list next year.

3. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep

I bought lemon grass at Whole foods about a month ago and let them soak for 2 weeks, then planted them in the green house, they have new shoots already. The grow extremely fast and develop into a bush. You can just tear a chunk and replant it once it gets big. It would look beautiful lining my driveway!
    LEMONGRASS: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD
    [​IMG]
    LEMONGRASS OVERVIEW INFORMATION
    Lemongrass is a plant. The leaves and the oil are used to make medicine.

Lemongrass is used for treating digestive tract spasms, stomachache, high blood pressure, convulsions, pain, vomiting, cough, achy joints (rheumatism), fever, thecommon cold, and exhaustion. It is also used to kill germs and as a mild astringent.

Some people apply lemongrass and its essential oil directly to the skin for headache, stomachache, abdominal pain, and muscle pain.

By inhalation, the essential oil of lemongrass is used as aromatherapy for muscle pain.

In food and beverages, lemongrass is used as a flavoring. For example, lemongrass leaves are commonly used as “lemon” flavoring in herbal teas.

In manufacturing, lemongrass is used as a fragrance in soaps and cosmetics. Lemongrass is also used in making vitamin A and natural citral.

How does it work?
    Lemongrass might help prevent the growth of some bacteria and yeast. Lemongrass also contains substances that are thought to relieve pain, reduce fever, stimulate the uterus and menstrual flow, and have antioxidant properties.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
    Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I planted lemon grass late in the season. I noticed that the elk left it alone. I am hoping it will winter over. I mulched it real good before the snow so hopefully it will come back. I am a big supporter on aroma therapy.

I would like to try wheat grass and sprout again.

Gopherman likes this.
  5. Gopherman

I have grown wheat grass for my son to juice with. Its pretty easy to grow. 1" of soil soak seeds for 12 hours rinse and and spread them evenly over the top of the soil. Soak a couple pages of newspaper and lay it on top. place in a dark cupboard for about 5 days then remove the paper and place in the sun if they haven't sprouted yet leave in the dark for a couple more days.

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I put seeds that are soaking on the top of the fridge. I read the warmth helps them to sprout. When trying to sprout the seeds you sent, I tried a batch on the dryer hoping the extra warmth would help. I got a few seedlings.

Gopherman likes this.
  7. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Quite possibly because the blades of lemon grass are quite sharp. I have cut my finger with lemon grass, by pulling at the blades without gloves....makes a cut like a paper cut, but worse.

Beware: Can cause cut fingers – Lemongrass | Suburban Tomato

Although the lemon grass root may be eaten, the grass blades should be cut and infused as a tea.

Ganado and Gopherman like this.
  8. Gopherman

I put some in my Passion T with the spearmint and it taste great. I made a gallon of Ice T out of it, put me to sleep!~LOL
    Can't drink it like my other Ice T.

Ganado and chelloveck like this.
  9. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Lemon grass tea is a diuretic....good for flushing the waterworks.

pearlselby, Gopherman and Ganado like this.
  1. runswithdogs
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. marlas1too
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. H.I.S Survival
  9. Ganado
  10. Bishop
    Swamp cabbage: [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 17, 2016, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft