Effective weapons other then knives

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Onebereal, Jan 19, 2012.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

No Granny, they can't be a weapon,[fnny] you can take them on Airplanes, NOW....[fnny]

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

No, Granny. But out of your sleeve and in to your hand, it's a handy little weapon! :)

3. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I have pretty good bow-staff and num-chuk skills.

4. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

If you live in an area that has plentiful stones you could get in lots of practice with a sling (think David & Goliath) and a staff sling. Concealable, uses available ammunition, and definitely extends your throwing range. Most old leather boots will provide all the necessary materials for the pocket and laces.

The staff sling is just a sling tied to a stout stick with either a loop over the end that slips off, or a notch for a knot in the end of one string. I like a length of about 5' and can launch stones the size of baseballs out to 75 yards or so with little effort. Lay the sling pocket on the ground to fill it with small gravel. When thrown, this produces a shotgun like blast. I'm surprised more EU rioters hadn't adoped slings.

If you're going to try a sling, start practicing with the slings rotation to your side rather than overhead. That way if a rock gets away from you at the wrong time you'll only hit stuff in front or behind you....or have a rock fall on your head. Once you've perfected the release, you can transition to an overhead rotation.

HD

chelloveck likes this.
  5. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

I once told my daughter that anything could be used as a weapon. Being the smart arse that she is, she picked up a piece of paper and said use this as a weapon. I thought for a second and threw it into her face, of course she flinched and before she could recover I had her in a chock hold. Of course I didn't put any pressure on her neck for anyone that wants to scream child abuse. I can't believe I felt the need to write that last sentence but things being what they are in this country I did. But I do believe she got the point.

BWM

STANGF150 likes this.
  6. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No need to make anything most people have plenty of items laying about in their garage, tool box or shed.

Axe handle, hammer, pipe wrench, crowbar, tire iron, shovel, screwdriver

I witnessed a guy years ago back down a much larger individual with a claw hammer on a job site.

Anything you can get your hands on for an equalizer.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Everyone has kitchen knives. The key to edge play is what type of knife are you playing with.. ;)
    Kitchen knives have 5 types; Cleaver, Bread, Boning, Chef's, Carving and paring. Based on it's shape, length etc, each is used with the same techniques and also quite differently.

The same thoughts apply to other weapons and tools used as a weapon.

8. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

You know I seen a thing the other day a guy took a 3ft stick about 2in round sawed the end off flat and drilled one end 7 to10in deep with a 1in hole. He would take rocks or sharp stakes he made and load the end draw it back and swing it foward. From watching and trying itone can get alot of power behind the projectile and with a little practice you can get on target. Im working on making one now just for fun and to have the ability to do it if need be. Im only using what I carry in my pack to see if it could be done with little or no tools.

Cephus likes this.
  9. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

To get some throwing "range" he gave up some "beating" strength.

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

There's an old retired Marine who runs past my place every day. He's always carried a thin stick, and I figured it was something light weight like a ski pole of a wooden dowel.

Caught him while I was out at the mail box the other day and asked about his stick. It's a not-so-light solid fiberglass antenna mast about 3/8" in diameter. I would not want to get within range of that thing.

HD

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

a roll of quarters... fan belt, car antenna (metal not a dubber duck), use your mind... think out of the box...

oldawg likes this.
  12. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Not so sure I'd want my finger bones between a roll of coins and a jaw bone. Just sayin' ----

(Has to be a better way to deploy a roll --)

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

It actually will help keep your fingers from breaking... not quite as good as brass knuckles... but better than nothing...

14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Do you travel with a laptop computer. a notebook, a table or an e-reader? They all have electrical cords to plug in, right? Garrotte or whip.

Kajun

15. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

3-6 feet of 3/4 rubber hose

VisuTrac likes this.
  16. vegasrandall

vegasrandall Monkey+++

Peas

Visualize whirled peas. Sorry,I had to do it

17. Hey, just give "peas" a chance.

Had to do it too.

18. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

While whirling your sock full of pea....I hope you are telling your assailant..."mind the peas....and....Far queues!"

VisuTrac and Thaddius Bickerton like this.
  19. depending on the buckle you wear on your belt, you might look into how a marine prepared his belt buckle back in the day. (google marine sam browne, or leather belt)

They could take that baby and dig chunks out of things or shave with it.

How do I know, cause I have Been there, done that have the tee shirt. (The old stories / skills get passed on in the corp.)

There are even belt buckle knives if that interests you. Back when we were kids my buddy and I went to the local used clothing store to buy belts and he bought one and when we got home, we discovered it was a buckle knife. He still has that buckle, but has had to make a couple new belts to put it on. :)

simper fi

1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. AndyinEverson
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Ganado
    Resource