Egg mobiles.... or....coops de ville ; )

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Feb 7, 2013.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Gator 45/70 and NotSoSneaky like this.
  2. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Nice. An associate of mine is planning on starting some chickens this year.
    Forwarding now. Good find.[coo]

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How heavy do you think these are?

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Some are heavy enough to require a tractor or vehicle to pull them around...at least one (the one mounted on bicycle wheels) is probably pull-able by human power....or a flock of harnessed chickens. ;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have bad critters in the area so I have been thinking about how to keep the chickens safe.

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

We have coyotes, raccoons, skunks, owls, and rarely a mountain lion/cougar. I plan to reinforce the chicken coop this year.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@VHestin have you had critter issues in the past? Do you heat your coop?

8. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

No the coop is not heated, and we had an owl kill one of our hens, but that was when we let the chickens 'free range'. Not anymore, but the coop is pretty big for 7 chickens. Has two parts, the roost for them to sleep at night, and the yard for them to play in. Once not too long after we moved here, I heard the chickens making a fuss, and a skunk was heading towards the chicken coop. I scared them off without having issues. And then last year our dogs alerted to me a coyote going near the coop from the vacant lot behind us. We never had problems with our chickens getting attacked(except for the owl incident), but we did have some critter, we presume a raccoon, kill 2 of our geese 2 winters in a row. It got in the fenced dog run area the 2nd time so it must have dug under. The fencing was the horse fencing stuff. That was the 2nd time though, the first time our male goose was in a corner and it just reached in and bit his head off(so I put chicken wire all around so nothing could reach in again, but then the critter just dug under. 2nd male goose was killed because they had a limp and couldn't get away fast enough. We no longer keep geese, not safe for them or us.

9. permacamo

permacamo Monkey

As far as protecting animals Live stock guardian dogs are the best way to do that!

especially if you have two or three of them they will work as a pack and then problems like raccons and coyotes become solutions as far as dog food goes!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 12, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Media

KFC

Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
  7. Alanaana
    This is Lavinia!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 14, 2023, 4 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    Media

Free_range

It was a dream come true to have a free-range flock!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 2 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
  17. Yard Dart
  18. TnAndy
  19. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7