Egg Recall

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

There has been a recall on eggs. Twenty-two people have been reported sick.

• The FDA is advising consumers not to eat recalled eggs produced by Rose Acre Farms’ Hyde County farm. According to Rose Acre Farms’ recent recall notice, these eggs are sold under multiple brand names, including Coburn Farms, Country Daybreak, Food Lion, Glenview, Great Value, Nelms, and Sunshine Farms. Recalled eggs were also sold to restaurants.
    • FDA testing has determined that these eggs are connected to 22 cases of Salmonella Braenderup infections. CDC is confirming the release of information about these illnesses with state health departments..
    • After learning that all of the people who became ill ate eggs or egg dishes, the FDA was able to trace back the source of some of the eggs to the Rose Acre Farms’ Hyde County farm. FDA investigators then inspected the farm and collected samples for testing. FDA analysis of the samples revealed that the same strain of Salmonella Braenderup that caused the illnesses was present at the Hyde County Egg facility, tying the facility to the illnesses.
    • As a result of these findings and discussions between the FDA and the firm, Rose Acre Farms has voluntarily recalled eggs from the farm in Hyde County, North Carolina. If anyone has the recalled eggs in their home, they should not eat them.
    Please follow link for more information. They have the lot codes that have been recalled.
    FDA Investigates Salmonella Braenderup Infections Linked to Shell Eggs from Rose Acre Farms

2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Rose Acre apparently produces 2,000,000 eggs a day, and about 203 million are on recall. So that's the last 100 days or so of production.

Rose Acre apparently got in trouble once in the past, selling eggs they knew to be unsafe and trying to bribe an FDA Inspector to allow them to sell eggs that had been red-tagged. The two top hats got a few months in jail, and they had to pay a $7 million dollar fine.

Since then, I guess, they have decided it's best to play nice.

3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Sadly - most people eat the eggs they buy in the first week for so.

March 5 to 14 April, the time cycle on the 'investigation'.
    5 weeks.

I feel real safe now.....

4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Although I'm not likely to be affected, i appreciate your giving monkeys who are at risk of being affected, a heads up.

It is a timely cautionary that even home produced eggs can be susceptible to Salmonella and other bacterial contamination. The risk can be reduced by good animal hygiene practices, particularly maintaining a hygienic stock raising environment.

Eggs should not be eaten raw, but should be cooked at temperatures that will kill any bacterial contaminants. This cautionary applies even more so in austere environments where anti-biotics and advanced medical treatment and care are unavailable.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    Motomom34, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  5. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Mines good

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

no chicken eggs here.. just duck...duck.... & goose:D

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You got it wrong. That was a firm called Quality Egg, owned by folks named DeCoster. Rose Acre Farms is owned by the Rust Family. Rose Acres has had their issues with FDA but with FDA overstepping authority to which RAF sued and won.

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

In the list of eggs, "Great Value" is WalMart brand so it could be anywhere in the US.
    My Organic eggs are safe, typically less than a week from hen to consumer.

Rancher

9. ochit

ochit Monkey+

Heat destroys Salmonella, in fact heat and cooking well done saves more people than we could possibly know because they survive and not get sick.

I had a instructor tell me no one ever died from eating ashes, of course we drank fresh goats blood not too long after :sick:

chelloveck likes this.
  10. DKR

Since it is an ill wind indeed, that blows no good - sounds like a wonderful marketing opportunity.

Provided the buyers don't think they now own the hens...

11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Same here Rancher except for the ones that ask for some a bit older. They say the older ones peel better when hard boiled. I have no idea as I use mine however I decide to as I need 'em.

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Old eggs do hard boil better, I use a rule of thumb of 30 days in the fridge.

Rancher

Tully Mars likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I usually have 3 dozen in the fridge and sometimes they sit there untouched for a few weeks. And after I read the article I linked, it made me wonder exactly how long these eggs are for sale. From day they are laid till best if sold by date. Seems like a long time and allegedly, the life of an egg is shortened if it is refrigerated.

14. Tully Mars

Don't quote me Moto, but I think they are allowed something upwards of 90days from hen to toss date.
    I keep mine in the same manner they do in Europe. They are kept on the counter and the ones that need it are washed in warn water ONLY most are not. That way the bloom is kept in tact. We haven't had any issues at all with the eggs. Once you refrigerate them they should be kept that way. Our birds are fed natural food and are allowed to "free range" outside the pen/coop area when I clean.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. DKR

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  16. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

Egg Ranches have 30 days to put them in cartons, i.e. they are stored on flats and refrigerated until they are sold to a distributor in cartons (different names on the cartons), then I believe the best buy date is added which can be 6-8 weeks out (3 months total, FDA rules). Refrigerated eggs last longer, on average 5-6 months is OK, they do dehydrate in the fridge. Eggs kept on the counter should not be washed at all, the ones I sell are only washed in cold water, and refrigerated, I have only had one person in 9 months ask for unwashed eggs.
    However... By State Law... for Farmers Markets:
    They must be labeled "Nest Run" and not washed or graded by size, I also may not claim that they are fresh, or local eggs.
    Most of my customers would not buy them if they saw the crap that is sometimes left on the eggs, and I have roll out nesting boxes with no straw, just astro turf, so I wash them, tell them where they are laid (20 miles away in one case and 4 miles away in another case), and I tell them that they were laid within the last week. And tell them that they must be refrigerated unless they special order them. There is nothing gained by not washing them and refrigerating them, this is not the 1800's.

Rancher

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I take that to mean that grocery store eggs that are in the cooler cases should be kept in the reefer rather than set out on the counter. T or F?

18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

True. Store eggs have also been thoroughly washed, so chances are the bloom is gone too. Either way, refrigeration is advised.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    ghrit and Motomom34 like this.
  19. Tully Mars

True

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

by the time we get grocery store eggs, they are over 14 days old most of the time

Tully Mars and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. TnAndy
  12. techsar
  13. techsar
  14. techsar
  15. DKR
  16. OldDude49
  17. BTPost
  18. Motomom34
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7