Recipe Eggless Pioneer Cake

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Sgt Nambu, Aug 1, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Ingredients:
    1.5 C. AP Flour
    1 C. Sugar
    3 T. Cocoa
    1 T. Vinegar
    1 t. Soda
    6 T. Oil
    1/2 t. Salt
    1 t. Vanilla
    1 C. Cold Water
    1 Handful Chopped Walnuts (Why We Call It "Crazy Cake;))

Instructions:
    350* Oven
    Single 8X8" Pan, Ungreased
    Put Dry Ingredients Into Pan
    Pour Liquid Into Mixture
    Stir With A Fork
    Add Walnuts
    Stir With Fork
    Bake For 25 Minutes

BTW: We frost with a simple vanilla icing.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Ingredients:

Instructions:

Image:

it would seem the pioneers went hungry.... (everything is blank after the headers)

marlas1too likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

What keeps it together? Doesn't the egg keep it from crumbling? It seems too easy.

marlas1too likes this.
  4. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

The oil helps bind it! It is seriously moist, almost no crumble.
    When I was assigned desserts, in our fancy restaurant, in culinary school I baked two of them! They were very well received, two cakes were not enough. They aren't surviving!
    They are really living!!! :D

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you are still having troubles let us know and we'll see what we can do about it.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Great recipe! thanks! and what is AP flour?

Sgt Nambu and marlas1too like this.
  7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

All purpose.

Sgt Nambu, chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Another binder that can be used instead of oil or eggs is ground nut! Peanuts offer the most oil's but walnuts or hazelnuts offer the same benefits and a nice change of taste! You could also use acorns too, but you want to boil them first! For an exotic treat, you can add juniper to this ( a little goes a LONG way) follow Sgt's recip and you cant go wrong!

Sgt Nambu, Ganado, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  9. Withak

Withak Monkey

I'm marking this one down, sounds like a great recipe. I'm also a fan of flourless chocolate cake as well - dense, moist and very heavy on the chocolate flavor.

To the above ingredient list, I would be tempted to heat about 1/4 cup of the water and mix in a TSP or so of espresso powder and add that to the cake. I find coffee/espresso really enhances the flavor of chocolate. It's rare I bake anything chocolate without using espresso powder as part of the ingredients.

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yum,Yum! That's a great treat! I love doing this for hunting trips, makes a really nice coffee cake in the mornings, as well as a nice end of day treat! I also do Dutch Babies, but those take lots of eggs as one of the main ingredients, same as German pancakes!!!

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I do not have espresso powder, actually had never heard of it. Could I use a 1/4 cup brewed coffee and 3/4 water for a sub?

I love this recipe. It is simple and easy. Nice not to have to use eggs.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Withak

Withak Monkey

Yes, you can. I prefer the espresso powder for the flavor. You can find little jars of it at the supermarket in the coffee area. It's instant espresso powder (better than other instant coffees). I keep it around for baking purposes only.

BTW, here is the product I buy:

[​IMG]

13. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Sgt Nambu
    This recipe has been in my family for years! The rumor is it came over from Ireland. And, you are right the cake is super moist due to the oil. Super moist! BTW I like it with walnuts also! But, here is what really caught my eye... Do you know what we call it? Crazy Cake. LOL!!!!! I have made this cake and carried this recipe all over the world, first-world and third-world countries alike, into war zones, even through a revolution now that I think about. Crazy cake...damn, my mouth is watering now! LOL!

Motomom34, Ganado, Withak and 2 others like this.
  14. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Any coffee will work but the espresso IS best, Try a small amount first and work your way up! Heck, even raw coffee beans smashed with a rock will add a nice flavor!

Withak and Sgt Nambu like this.
  15. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Yes indeed! This cake is pretty much as good as any cake on earth! It does sound humble, but it's the bomb!:D

Motomom34, Bandit99, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Hey Sgt, how bout Ranger Pudding, or AF bread pudding? i'm betting you have perfected those two! LOL How bout Good NAVY coffee ( I.E. destroyer fuel) gotta have the good stuff! Besides, a trip down memory lane is always good. nothing like Gourmet field eats to boost moral.

Sgt Nambu and Ganado like this.
  17. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Not really, Ranger pudding is just carb stacking, given that you are working with MRE's. Same caloric content as eating them separately. The best improvement would be to add dried fruit. Small boxes of raisins comes to mind. They would add both calories and very useful fiber! As you know, the MRE's will plug you're azz up and raisins pack a lot of Poo power!:D Same with Ranger cookies, slip a few raisins into the packet, for the same reasons. Don't know about AF bread pudding. Navy coffee? Put too much coffee in the pot and add diesel to taste! :D LOL!!!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  18. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

HAHA, just teasing a little. We hated the MRE's. plugged ya up something awful. No matter what you tried to combine, you got the same thing, just a different color. LOL Destroyer Fuel Coffee, That's an art, Good Italian blend, with a cup of sea water, 190 proof, chickoree bark, a cracked egg shell and all, and a pinch of pepper. Toss all in the pot and let brew. Fill a cup and add "BuckShot" and/or "battleship grey" to taste!

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  19. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

LOL!!! I always get a kick out of more recent troops!
    I lived on 1943 dated "C" rations! Trust me, MRE's are yummy!:D

Ura-Ki likes this.
  20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

LOL. I did my first 10 years on Vietnam left overs! YumYum! LOL I actually miss the Mystery Meat that we think might have been pork!

Ganado and Sgt Nambu like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes
  4. DKR
  5. DKR
  6. Ganado
  7. Homunculi