Eggs: Keeping Fresh & Storage

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Motomom34, May 9, 2016.

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I noticed that some methods said the taste would change over time and others stated the taste would stay the same. Could be a dumb question but does the nutritional value diminish over time? A stored egg as healthy as a fresh one?

Ganado likes this.
  3. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

Some good sites and insights shared in this thread!

Raw eggs can be stored for more than a year without refrigeration, some say up to two years. I have kept both farm fresh and store bought eggs for up to eight months many times with an extremely low spoilage rate. Yes, you read that correctly! Store bought eggs that were washed and refrigerated were then coated and stored without refrigeration for eight months with very few having spoiled. I submerged the raw eggs in canola oil or coated with canola oil or coated with food grade mineral oil, then kept them in a cool dry place (approximately 50-60F).

There are dozens of substances that can be used, including submersing in lime water or covering with wood ashes. We flip eggs so the yolk does not settle against the shell. Yolks are far more likely to spoil than whites, so this may help in some cases. American eggs are so likely to have been contaminated with salmonella due to intensive farming practices, that washing and refrigerating have become the norm. As others have noted, the natural air barrier is most commonly called the "bloom".

We can take a hint from the hens of those species that are prolific layers: they do not sit on the nest until they have achieved the clutch size they desire. This may take weeks during any weather, yet the hen does not sit on the nest. Yet most, if not all, hatch.

Jas. Townsend and Son, Inc.

How to Store Fresh Eggs

Dont and Ganado like this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Media

New_digs

I think they approved of their new digs.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Everyone loves a room with a good view!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
  6. Alanaana
    These quail egg clippers are a game changer!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Media

First_eggs

I was so thrilled to find that first set of eggs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. JrOrtiz
  12. Magdala_Buckley
  13. TnAndy
  14. Hillbilly549
  15. Ganado
  16. Ganado
  17. Asia-Off-Grid
  18. oldman11
  19. Asia-Off-Grid
  20. Asia-Off-Grid
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary