Electrical component wish list

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by sdr, Jul 15, 2019.

1. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Not sure where to post this. Figured here would be good.

So, last week I stopped by our local "Sanford and Sons" electrical supply house. Imagine a drug store size building filled with everything electrical you could imagine. Like a junkyard with electrical stuff. New and used. Its been my go to place for years. Rows upon rows of stuff. I was looking to make a 12vdc to 4.5vdc converter to power some of those free Harbor Freight strip led lights for the camper.

Anyway, the place is going out of business at the end of this month. Huge sadness! The guy who runs the place is selling everything at a big markdown. Most of the smaller stuff is 7 bucks per pound. You can buy a ridiculous amount of resistors, caps, diodes, ic chips ect at 7$ per pound.

I'm figuring now is the time to fill my wish list. I have already stocked up on caps, resistors, 2 types of common diodes, some 555 timers, a few thermistors, some pots, perf boards, circuit board sheets, and a few other items.

Anybody have any suggestions on other things I should be considering?

Most of my needs are strictly hobby/minor repair. I'm just thinking now is the time to grab stuff I might possibly want/need in the future.

At those prices I can afford alot of crap. Nice bonus is the stuff doesn't take up alot of room in my shop.

Thoughts?

And... I know buck converters are pretty cheap but I like the learning/hands on aspect of building my own things when I can. Any efficient way of dropping 12vdc to power some of those free lights? Couple resistors will draw to much power due to heat.

SB21 likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Look for Switch Mode Buck & Boost Converter Chips... At $7US per pound, you will be set for life....

3M-TA3, Altoidfishfins and SB21 like this.
  3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Op amps. There are a number of common types that might be handy for home build widgets. I'm not of that type of experimenter, but I have a sneaking suspicion that you might be.

3M-TA3 and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I wish I knew more about that stuff , but I don't . But at those prices , you should be able to stay busy for quite a while .

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Get some heat sinks and project boxes.

3M-TA3 and Altoidfishfins like this.
  6. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

voltage regulators 78XX 5volt 12 volt 9 volt maybe 10 volt to replace the Baofeng charger transformer.
    Also if they have them get some arduino uno boards and shields its amazing what can be done with a few electronic components and a little programing.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

5 Volt and 12 Volt relays..

damoc likes this.
  8. Buy the store! Go into business! 'course you won't have time for your hobbies.

9. Alf60

Alf60 Monkey+++

I did that once with a hobby shop. Lots of RC airplane kits, engines, boats, radios, and even a bunch of completed airplanes. We sold most all of it on Ebay an Craigs List. It took several years but It was a lot of fun. Made some money and I ended up with a pretty nice engine collection.

3M-TA3 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  10. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Shoot, just buy a pound of everything he has!

3M-TA3 likes this.
  11. BTPost

Just so you know, the 78XX Fixed voltage regulators can be adjusted UP in the voltage that they regulate, by adding a resistor or diode in the ground connection... A diode increases the regulated voltage by .7 volts, and you can stack the diodes in series to get what you need... or add a Zener Diode of the appropriate voltage, that you want to increase the regulated voltage by... That works just spiffy, as well....

3M-TA3 and damoc like this.
  12. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Was hoping to stop by today. I have a list of chips I will look for.

13. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

Very handy thank you I bet I can use that. Heat sink will need to be electrically insulated from ground for this to work Im guessing?

14. BTPost

Yea, that is true... It was discovered after the first 3Pin fixed regulators were brought to market... Then the OEMs brought out the Variable Regulators with a modified Package, so the old ground Pin could be used as a variable adjustable setup...

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  15. sdr

sdr Monkey++

d8324bd4-faed-4df1-b12c-18e7b8cf70be. Pics from the store
    65ccdbad-fee5-4e4c-8aab-90338eb68caa.
    The chip isle.

View attachment 72453 ea390354-d209-48a3-8daf-4c6a685a3d6b.
    Lots of tubes

5b1e9c2f-f7a2-4790-8253-93e4243e5edc.

Sorry for the poor image quality.

That's only a small portion of the place

oldawg and Seawolf1090 like this.
  16. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Many of us would be like kids in a toystore in there!
    My local electronics store is the size of a 7-11 store in comparison.

17. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

If anyone needs me I'll be in my bunk.

18. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

If those LED strips take 4.3 volts, consider putting three in series.

William Warren

19. sdr

sdr Monkey++

One strip is almost to bright. Placing it in the existing light fixtures should diffuse the light nicely. 3 in series would be great for an exterior floodlight on the side of the camper.

20. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Vacume pumps caught my eye.. Have to think a bit for what the IV pump would be good for..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7