1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Elements Of Survival.

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by lonewolf89, Jun 22, 2015.

1. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

i have seen all kinds of lists all over the internet about what to carry in a 72 hr bag or even an EDC, but can anyone tell me what would be considered the absolute most necessary items to carry? dave canternury has his 10 c's of survival, which can be broken down to just five, but i'm thinking a person can go just a little leaner than that. i'm thinking maybe three items: knife, cord, combust. what do you all think?
    sarawolf and vonslob like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

Why would you want to go so lean? The three you listed are very useful and would be vary valuable but why limit? Are you thinking these three are an absolute necessity?
    Bear and Yard Dart like this.
  3. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

my thought was that an individual could build off just these three items. i also thought i heard or read someplace that a special forces member could in fact survive with just these three items.
  4. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja Jedi Bipolar WINNING M.L.F.

Try it.
    Go camping for a weekend with just those 3 items.
    Ganado, Bear, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  5. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

i am wadering if anyone else in here has heard of this or even tried it.
  6. john316

john316 Monkey+

no..........i carry more that i use....flashlight...combo screwdriver....Bandanas

i carry more that i hope to not need.....gun and spare mags
    Mindgrinder likes this.
  7. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep Site Supporter++

My BOB weighs 40 Lbs and you would never believe how much Crap I have in there! That's only 20% of my total Body weight.
    I don't think If I have to abandon my home I will only be gone for 72 hours. It may take as long as a month or I might never get to return. My first thought would be to retake whats mine but that may not be possible!
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Ganado and Mindgrinder like this.
  8. lonewolf89

lonewolf89 Monkey

i guess my ultimate goal is to be able to do as much as possible with as little as possible. minimalist mentality.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

A 72 Hour Kit is designed to Keep you, and your Family, Health, ALIVE, and Going, at a normal Rate of Calories. for 72 Hours....

It is NOT a Carry Item, BOB, or GetHome Bag..... It is exactly what it sounds like.... Your asking about a Personal Survival Kit, that is designed to ALLOW YOU to Survive, until you can get Home, or to your BOB, or your 72 Hour Kit. Personal Survival Kit, Minimum is what your looking for in the three, or four, Items... Knife, FireStarter Kit, Paracord, and Water.... are as simple as it gets....
    sarawolf and Mindgrinder like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Moderator Moderator Site Supporter++

I think that is basically what he had in his post but instead of water, I think a mylar blanket if you wanted to go light. If you were really just to have the bare minimum the mylar could be used for multiple purposes and could be used in assisting to obtain water. That's my opinion.

They maybe able to but civilians may need a few more things.
    Mindgrinder likes this.
  11. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey..... Moderator Site Supporter++

A man or woman, can survive with just their brains and the tenacity to live. Can you survive and prosper with a knife, fire-starter and a life-straw.... absolutely. Survival like most things in life, is mostly about training, knowledge, experience and conditioning.....
    It is one thing to train with the minimalist mind-set... but to plan for survival that way invites many mistakes that can cost you your life in my opinion....

The bigger question is, why would you want to plan that way when you have the time now to properly prepare? You have the time to learn and obtain the right gear; tools for the basics of survival such as water purification, fire starting; training in various skills such as first aid, land navigation, hunting/trapping/fishing techniques, shelter construction, weapons proficiency, physical conditioning.....; and so many other ways to ensure your survival. Be it post-SHTF or during another dangerous situation, having the right stuff and the knowledge to use it allows you to be best situated to ride out most emergencies.

Now after all that, you find yourself separated from your gear and the only thing you have on you is those three minimalist items.... you make the best with what you have.... your brain, the rest of the stuff is just tools in the tool box....
    Bear, Mindgrinder and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

In my AO? Knife and Firestarter. And preferably a Stainless Steel Canteen/Waterbottle/Something I can collect and Boil Water in. Do I WANT to get stuck with just that? HELL no. But I have done it on a limited basis. Heck, for years I thought a survival kit was a roll of bank line, a wool blanket, matches, a water container, a sword, a rifle, ammo, and three knives with a whetrock. Not so much these days, but I plan for I.N.C.H., and Living History has taught me a lot. Namely, to bring my Living History kit with a few modern items to round it out. It expands the kit a lot, but I plan on immediately dumping most of what I am carrying to replace it with what I am carrying...
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Gadgets, take the place of skills you may not have, or time you don't want to waste.
    I can tell the compass or time by watching shadows and sticks. But who wants to wait around for hours for what a compass will tell me at a glance?
    I could build and light torches and bake pots for water and food, but why bother? Bring a flashlight and a hydration pack, or water bottle. Save those life or death skills for when you HAVE no other choice. Learn 'em, but use them for backups, not mainline tools.
    Why burn all your calories building a hut by hand, when you can string up a hammock and tarp in a few minutes, and no fuss? Why spend the full day building shelter when you may be moving on in the morning? And have to do it all again after a couple hours of walking? Save your energy for the things that matter.
  14. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I eat vegetables. My friends are not vegetables.

The three most important things about Minimalistic Survival are location, location, and location.

In the Arctic, a hammock won't do you much good. In the Namib, an axe is a useless weight.

In a nice temperate climate like Central Florida the three things you absolutely MUST carry to survive in the bush are nothing, nothing, and nothing.

A person with a modicum of knowledge and a hint of skill could walk into the Everglades stark naked and make out just fine.

Day One would be fire by friction and turtle soup in the half shell while wearing a comfy coat of mud and fire-hardening a spear.

And life could only get better from there.

By the end of the week a person could be eating poachers and dressing like a gentleman.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Yep you probably could but the skeeters might fly off with you...;)
    Ganado, Yard Dart and Bear like this.
  16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey++

Do y'all have rocks in Florida? There is a reason I said a knife. No rocks here.
    Bear likes this.
  17. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey++

I what to be able to carry as much as possible as easily as possible. One may not get to return home. Our backpacks are always ready to go.
    Yard Dart and Bear like this.
  18. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

As "Survival" means different things to different people, survival kits are extremely personal items.
    Everyone has differing needs so it would be best to include what works best for you.
    Ganado, Yard Dart and Bear like this.
  1. Thunder5Ranch
  2. lonewolf89
  3. Motomom34
  4. melbo
  5. Tango3
  6. monkeyman
  7. survivalmonkey
  8. monkeyman
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary