Elessar's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Elessar, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I've had a terrible weekend of blowing my entire program that included flour tortillas and Lora bars and just a mess. We have been running around because we have received a purchase contract on the farm so we're busy moving things from the barn like hay, etc.

I can't even begin to remember what my weekend food intake was like but I'm going to try and recreate what I can:

Friday
    Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and a cup of coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: 1.5 cups chicken vegetable soup
    Dinner: 3 beef burritos with shredded cheese and lettuce on flour tortillas
    Snacks: several cocktails, almonds

Saturday
    Breakfast: none
    Lunch: 8 chicken strips from Burger King with buffalo sauce
    Dinner: 12 oz grilled chicken breast with hot sauce
    Snacks: several cocktails, 3 oz liverwurst, 2 oz almonds, 2 Lora bars

Sunday
    Breakfast: Big Breakfast from McDonald's (swap the biscut for an extra sausage)
    Lunch:big salad
    Dinner: four eggs scrambled topped with shredded cheese and four strips of bacon
    Snacks: three cocktails, two Sweet-n-Salty breakfast bar, 4 oz baby carrots

Some people just shouldn't drink but when they do, they should plan their menu more responsibly to ensure satiety.

Exercise:
    30 pushups
    50 crunches

Weight: 205.2
    Bodyfat: 24.7

Let's get out there and make this a great day!

2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Congrats, hope it works out for you..

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Mind if I borrow this? Sounds yummy.

* Hope your poison Ivy is getting better- how miserable.

4. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Motomom; it's very mild and tastes great! It's all yours!

Because of the scrambled schedule over this last weekend, I failed to get to the market for resupply like I would prefer. This puts a strain on my primal menu because we are out of many of the my regular supplies. I'll be heading to the market this evening after work to restock.

Lunch: big salad from Pizza Hut ( problem with adding too much dressing, because it's there)
    Dinner: 6 oz chicken breast, 4 oz sliced ham, 3 oz liverwurst (eaten standing over the kitchen sink because my partner was not home for dinner so I didn't bother cooking)

Exercise: 30 pushups

Weight: 208.2
    Bodyfat: 26.7

Motomom34 and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  5. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I made it to the market last night and was, again, shocked at the price we pay for groceries for two people. I know I bought a few extra things and the price of nuts has skyrocketed, but the general price for food has really increased.

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and a cup of black coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: left over pan fried pork chop with 1.5 cups of Zatarain's rice
    Dinner: 4 pieces of DiGiorno sausage and pepperoni pizza
    Snacks: a second cup of coffee with coconut oil, 6 oz almonds, 3 oz liverwurst

Weight: 205.6
    Bodyfat: 26.0

ditch witch and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  6. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The price for food really has shot up, just as we had expected it to this year. I doubt we will see the cost go back down either. The price for two people to eat a nutritious diet on a daily basis can be tough to do for some. It is almost like they are trying to push normal folks towards eating nothing but prepackaged cheap garbage food. Filled with GMO's, chemicals and mass produced meats pumped up with steroids....ECT. Does not bode well in the long run for the masses, does it?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
    Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

All that cheap nasty food affects your brain. Make it so only the rich can afford fresh produce and meat and the rest will be zombie sheep.

Yard Dart likes this.
  8. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Mowed the grass at the farm last night. It was a strange feeling, knowing that we have an offer and are waiting for the appraisal and home inspections, that made it seem like I was mowing someone else's grass...memories flooded my mind of events of the last 18 years; pets we've had, horses ridden, and projects completed...

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and 1/2 cup coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: 6 oz almonds
    Dinner: 5.3 oz yogurt, 1 oz dark chocolate, 3 oz liverwurst
    Snacks: 2 cocktails, 4 oz pistachios, 1 ruby red grapefruit

Weight: 202.7
    Bodyfat: 26.4

9. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

We attended the Gordon Lightfoot concert last night in Lexington. Pretty cool for a guy that is 75 years old and still singing some great songs. Of course, we had dinner out before the concert...

Lunch: none
    Dinner: 5 oz steamed cod, 8 oz grilled steak, medium salad
    Snacks: 1 ruby red grapefruit, 5.3 oz yogurt, a second cup of coffee with coconut oil

Weight: 204.0
    Bodyfat: 27.0

10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I've decided to stop posting daily to this thread. I feel like I've settled into the primal routine and have achieved the change to the primal lifestyle that I've desired and my weight is settled into a place where I'm comfortable, hovering around 200#s. I intend to work on adding muscle mass while reducing my waist measurement. So far I've reduced my waist from 40 to 36/35 as measured by my pants that I can "slip" into without any tightness.

My primary goal was to document what I ate when I began my primal journey and I feel like I've achieved that objective with clear data. I continue to see a pattern of repeated menu items and don't think that maintaining this level of posting activity is adding anything new the data.

I will be posting updates as I continue on my Primal Blueprint lifestyle change just to maintain general tracking. It's great being here and I have really enjoyed the exchange with everyone. Grok on!

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Great Job !

12. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

@Elessar , while i have not posted with the same zest you have, I have enjoyed your sharing your journey. Your daily posts will be missed. Now I guess I should step and get back on this horse and document my journey, as pitiful as it is.

Motomom34 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Elessar while I will miss your daily posts, I understand why you are stopping. I learned so much from your menus and always loved your parting motivation, "Let's get out there and make this a great day!" Maybe I will make that into a sign and tape it to the bathroom mirror.

Congratulations on your Primal success.

Sapper John and kellory like this.
  14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I appreciate the comments from everyone here. I will still be here almost every day, but the redundancy of my posts have illustrated to me that I have settled into a routine for both my menu and my journey. That's not necessarily bad, but it could get pretty boring. I enjoy reading around this forum much more than most and look forward to continuing my Primal journey. Now, let's get out there and make this a great day!

Sapper John, Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  15. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Hey everyone! I climbed on the scale again this morning to find a pleasant surprise: my program continues to work effectively. Last night I made a Bacon Frittata from a recipe provided by the Primal Blueprint cookbook. It was eggs and bacon and turned out pretty good. It's a lot more work than I'm used to completing but it was easy and good. I can see how this recipe can be extremely flexible allowing the cook to added ingredients to flavor the results to many different styles; i.e. Spanish, Chinese, etc.

Weight: 202.8
    Bodyfat: 26.2

ditch witch likes this.
  16. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Frittatas are awesome! I do one with chorizo, roasted tomatillos and chilis, and queso blanco.

Elessar likes this.
  17. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

yum!

18. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Feelin' great and continuing on my program. I've been a little remiss in shopping and that has resulted in a few foibles as has been seen in the past. I missed my weekly visit to the market this last Sunday so the stores are low right now but we have to make a trip to my daughter's for her birthday so I still won't get supplies today; unless we stop on the way home late this evening which I don't see happening.

My weight has been bouncing between 202 and 205 and I'm happy with that. I've not been doing any more exercising than I had been posting about and I continue to beat myself up about that while failing to actually get any real motivation. I have good intentions though...

19. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

We sold the Farm! Completed closing last Friday and the check is in the bank. It's hard to know how to feel after such a long process that included renovations that took more than a year. We've been working on that place for so long that it seems out of place to not have home repairs to complete now that we are in the new house completely. And it is completely in too; we have down sized by almost 40% so we have waaaaay more stuff than will fit in the new place. Needless to say, we'rie planning a yard sale to get rid of unneeded furniture and other stuff. I still feel kinda' "funny" going home now, since home is only 1/2 mile from work and I can walk there in 14 minutes. My car/motorcycle won't even come up to full operating temperature in the time that it takes me to drive to work. Hummmm...

Primal-wise: I feel great. I enjoyed a major celebration after closing that included hamburgers, hotdogs, bratwurst, etc. It was good and my temporary weight jumped up a little, but I returned to my normal diet and my weight has returned to the previous 204#s. I'm still anxious to get below 200 because of the amount of fat I'm still carrying around my waist and torso so I'm still working towards reducing my carbs, etc.

I've been watching the happenings here and enjoy seeing everyone else. Grok on!

20. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Congrats!!:)

1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John