Elessar's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Elessar, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Progress is slow but I like the results. While getting dressed for work this morning my wife whinned at me, "My jeans are sliding off me." I offer to help her with that but she declined....hahaha. Nice by-product of the program because she wasn't all in at the start of this thing but she's eating what I cook and reaping the benefits without having completely eliminating all of the grains from her diet. This has been a huge boost to her mood, which is wonderful, so we keep pushing toward the PB lifestyle.

Lunch: Big salad of greens, cottage cheese, shredded cheese, shredded carrots, and a few drops of hot sauce.
    Dinner: was breakfast because we wanted to, that's why...three eggs cheese omlet with sweet bell pepper and hot sauce along with three slices of bacon on the side.
    Breakfast: 7oz of 2% yogurt and 3oz of country ham that was left over from yesterday

I'm planning on skipping lunch today because I'm only working a half day to take the car to the shop for service/check-up. Dinner will likely be beef stew from venison because it's suppose to be cold this weekend and it's nice to have a pot of stew simmering on the stove so anyone can jump in when the hungry need attacks. No real plans for this weekend so it should be relaxing and maybe working on a crafty project that needs some attention.

Let's get out there and make it a great day!

melbo, Sapper John, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  2. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Good morning, I wasn't able to make it through the afternoon without eating but I did manage to keep my overall intake down to 58 carbs. Driving back home from the car dealership, I saw a Trader Joe's so I pulled in to get a bag of macadamia nuts and a few vegetables for the Vegetable Beef Soup that I had planned for dinner. That worked out very well and the soup was great!

Lunch: 5oz macadamia nuts
    Dinner: 3 servings of Vegetable Beef Soup
    Snack: 3oz Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Weight: 223.8
    Bodyfat: 29.5

Sapper John likes this.
  3. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Going over to the new house today to do a little more painting. Then I'm going to go marketing and supplement our stores. I need to add a little more beef to my diet that will enhance to "good fat."

Lunch: 3 bowls of Vegetable Beef Soup (leftovers from yesterday)
    Dinner: 2 Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts and 2/3 of Acorn Squash
    Breakfast: 8oz Steak fried in bacon grease and 1 1/2 strips of bacon

Weight: 222.8
    Bodyfat: 29.9

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  4. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Completed my morning workout early this morning. Then shoveled the sidewalk at home as well as at work, so I've had a pretty active morning, unlike yesterday and most of the weekend that was pretty lazy.

We lost electricity yesterday evening from 5:00 pm until just after 7:00 pm so I made breakfast for dinner because I could see well enough to complete that by oil lamp. I was shocked by the experience as I flipped eggs that this may have been "the event" although I knew it was not. As soon as the light went out, my wife reacted by calling the power company to report the outage. We live on the "end of the line" and many times, we loose power but no one knows it until we say so. Therefore, we have learned to let them know quickly. It was snowing and the temperature was hovering around 25' so I'm glad I didn't have to switch over to survival mode in those conditions. THAT would have been miserable. Really makes you think and helps to put things into perspective when you get a little "jolt" of reality like that to wake you up.

Lunch: apple with my yogurt
    Dinner: 3 egg ham and cheese omelet
    Snack: quite of few almonds during Downton Abbey
    Breakfast: skipped because I just didn't feel I needed it...

Weight: 222.6
    Bodyfat: 30.6

5. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Late reporting today because I've had a busy morning. Nothing substantial to convey, just another day. I did coordinate a "sit down" dinner at our house last night that felt like a date because we were sitting at the dining room table instead of in front of the television or on the run. It was nice and dinner was good including the Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin.

Lunch: Big Salad - greens, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, a few drops of hot sauce
    Dinner: Spice Rubbed Pork Tenderloin, Mashed Cauliflower w/butter, Fresh Brocolli with butter, a few glasses of red wine
    Snack: generous portion of Almonds during the downhill skiing on the Olympics
    Breakfast: Yogurt

Weight: 223.1
    Bodyfat: 30.3

6. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Another quiet evening, which seems so unusual for us, after such a long time of constant work remodeling. We have finally put our house on the market to sell. However, that means that everything is fixed and all the "to-do" list items have been completed. We've been working so hard for so long that to have a quiet evening seems wrong somehow.

Lunch: Big Salad - greens, left over chicken breast chopped, real mayo, shredded cheese, sunflower seeds, and a few drops of hot sauce.
    Dinner: Spaghetti Squash with meat sauce, left over mashed cauliflower
    Breakfast: three hard boiled eggs, yogurt, 1Tbs Coconut Oil

Weight: 224.2
    Bodyfat: 30.1

Let's get out there and make a great day!

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I feel your pain on the home remodeling. We are in the middle of it, trying to get complete so we can sell also. Though I do take a weeknight here and there and lounge around a bit.... the weekends always seem to be a blur. My garage has turned into the land of sawdust.... that is my project this week, just to clean that area up.

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You are steadily dropping.
    The plus side to all of this is that it's the last time you'll ever have to try to lose weight. I've been stable (+/- 3 lbs) for almost 10 months now.

You're doing a great job keeping your carbs low but remember that those carbs used to be your fuel. I know it's tough but don't worry about your fat intake so long as it's animal fat or stable (solid at room temp) fat like butter or coconut oil. Consuming fat will train your body to use burn it and then it will discover that nice source you've been carrying around with you for a while ;)

You mentioned variety and those 5 go-to foods for dinners. My wife takes care of that (fully on the program) so it's easy for me. She plans out our menus from the PB cookbooks once a week and shops for them. Over time and after learning how to search and create Primal recipes herself, she's come up with about 15-20 dinners that we love. I take a leftover to work the next day for lunch.

I don't know if I've ever mentioned it but I was never a weekday breakfast eater. I now have a Primal Fuel shake each morning (10 grams of sat fat - lol) that started off as a way to take my vitamins and Omega oils. Now I look forward to it. At first glance, $70 a month seemed like a lot but it works out to $2.33 each day which is a pretty cheap breakfast. I like to think that it jump starts my day by giving my empty stomach a nice shot of healthy fat to fuel me.

A couple rules I lived by in my first 3 months were this:
    If it said 'Heart Healthy', stay away
    If it said low fat, stay away

I just remembered something about those leftover heat-ups I have at work for lunch. I add about a 1/4 stick of butter to the container before I heat... Tonight we made burger patties: local, grassfed high fat content and had them with a fried egg (in butter) on top, bacon, avocado, onions, and jalapenos. I fried the frozen (i pat them out 12 at a time and freeze them) patties in butter and drizzle the leftover butter over them while they are resting. I 'stole' the bacon fat from the pan and drizzled it over my 1/2 cooked lunch burger pattie. I live on fat. My wife makes a Bulletproof coffee for breakfast each morning: Cup of coffee, 2 TB butter & 2 TB of coconut oil blended together. Sounds disgusting but its really good and her preferred way of getting her morning fat.

Sorry for the ramble but I wanted to share a few of these things

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  9. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Mel: There's no one I'd rather hear from than you. Thanks for stopping by and offering your advice. I value that a lot...and the coffee idea from your wife sounds very interesting. I may just try that this weekend.

My days have begun to settle down for the most part. I was feeling a little desperate about the slow rate of weight loss but I went back to the PB book and re-read the section from Mark about being committed and realizing that this is a journey that includes some patience. I'm in for the life long change so I can pratice patience and look for the long term results. I really enjoy the exchange with great people here. Thanx

Lunch: left over pork tenderloin and slice of ham
    Dinner: Chicken Stir Fry
    Breakfast: Two egg over easy with cheese shreds and 2 strips of bacon
    Weight: 224.1
    Bodyfat: 29.1

Quigley_Sharps and melbo like this.
  10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I believe weight loss on PB is a byproduct of becoming healthy. Keep doing the right things, your body will begin to undo years of abuse and the weight will come off slowly (or quickly for some) but steadily and stay off.

11. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I had a funny experience tonight while making dinner: my wife decided that she wanted a taste of the old stuff from our SAD menu so I made her some Tyson Popcorn Chicken and Tator Tots. These use to be our goto meal for something fast and I absolutely loved these easy foods and we had them at least once a week and sometimes more if we could justify the need for easy dinner.

While I was putting away the leftovers, I decided to cheat and have one piece of chicken. Hey, it's chicken, so how bad could it be for me? Since I've started PB the first of this year, this is my first slip, and I was shocked at how bad it tasted. Now, I wouldn't criticize anyone for what they choose to eat, but this thing tasted like cardboard and wax, instead of the yummy heaven that I remembered. Suffice it to say, I have no interest in eating that junk food again. BLAH! Real food is sooo much better, it was like a shock of reinforcement to confirm my PB commitment. I cleansed my palate with a piece of dark chocolate! hahaha

Yard Dart and melbo like this.
  12. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Lunch: Big Salad - greens, ham, shredded cheese, cottage cheese, sunflower seeds, and a few drops of hot sauce.
    Dinner: 12oz of pan fried steak
    Breakfast: 3 eggs with ham and shredded cheese

Weight: 223.4
    Bodyfat: 29.3

13. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I've enjoyed and interesting weekend that was pretty broken up by a special date with my wife who managed to keep a secret Valentine's Day dinner arrangement from me and really stage a surprise. I was floored and we had a lot of fun. Dinner with friends on the Kentucky River. Really cool. I had prime rib she pre-ordered for me because of my PB committment. What a wonderful friend and wife. Just another reason why I love her; after 20 years, she can still surprise me.

Lunch: the last two days was almost skipped because we were running around. We did eat light, a few walnuts, but nothing substantial
    Dinner: Friday night was Taco Salad, Saturday was Prime Rib on our date, Sunday was a disaster of oven fried chicken that didn't work out well. (There were a few cocktails mixed in there on Saturday, but heh, it was a party.)
    Breakfast: Both Saturday/Sunday was 3 egg omelet with shredded cheese and bacon

Weight: 225.0
    Bodyfat: 30.1

14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

The supplies at our house are getting low and I realize now that this is a mistake. Normally, I would have gone marketing over the weekend to prevent this situation from becoming a problem. However, after a quick look through the fridge, it seemed that we could last another day or two, so I got lazy. Big Mistake! Dinner last night was really good but included a number of things that I haven't eaten since the first of the year because our supplies are not as complete as I had thought...oops. The mistake I've committed has a direct effect on our potential menu as well as my ability to be creative while cooking. Now we're reaping the error of not having shopped. Warning: make sure you keep things well stocked to prevent dietary failure.

Lunch: 1 medium avocado, 3oz of Beef Jerky, a few handfuls of pumpkin seeds
    Dinner: Chicken Stew: four chicken breasts, five potatoes diced, 16oz frozen vegetables (California blend), 3oz Broccoli shreds, 3oz carrot shreds, 2 medium parsnips, all in about a gallon of water and simmered until the cauliflower was almost melted.
    Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs, 1 6oz cup yogurt, 1 cup black coffee

I had four bowls of the chicken stew because I was really hungry and it turned out real good. There are still some left-overs that are planning to sabotage my menu tonight...

Weight: 226.4
    Bodyfat: 29.6

I'm not too worried about these fluctuations in my weight because I've committed to the PB as a lifestyle change. I intend to do a better job of marketing to ensure my/our success.

15. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The wife had to make the trek to the store Sunday, when she did not want to go out in the weather, because we had made our food supplies low as well. I had purged the pantry and fridge of all things evil for the most part. There was no option but to go hit the store... :) Anything not on the Primal food list was either put into "storage containers" or taken to the Pantry House our area churches created, which serves to provide food and clothing to the needy/homeless.

16. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Dart: I know that I need to make it to the market every weekend or else things come apart...I just need to make the journey. Shopping for the PB takes a little more time and I hate to give up part of my weekend to shopping. Oh well, that's the cost of living right.

Dinner last night was like a breath of summer during this "Winter that will never END" because we were able to grill out on the deck. In fact, our tempertures this morning are two degrees warmer than when we went to bed. Pretty nice, but I'm afraid we'll be paying for this nice weather in a short while. I bet we have ice and snow to go before the real summer begins.

Lunch: Chicken breast, steamed corn w/butter, mashed cauliflower with more butter.
    Dinner: 8oz grilled steak & 8oz of grilled chicken breast, 6oz of Acorn Squash with butter.
    Breakfast: Yogurt

Weight: 223.4

I'm worried about the low level of healthy fat that I'm ingesting. I need to figure a way to find more good stuff in my diet...

Quigley_Sharps and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

We struggled through another evening of leftovers last night. The good thing about that is using up Primal meals that were already prepared, so we didn't have to worry if what was available would fit into the PB. I'll be spending my lunch hour today heading to market to make up for my lack of motivation last weekend.

Lunch: Big Salad - greens, three huge scoops of cottage cheese, a small amount of shredded cheese, a big handful of sunflower seeds, some carrot shreds and some brocolli shreds, topped off with a few drops of hot sauce
    Dinner: last of the taco meat, two chicken breasts, about 3oz of cottage cheese, two slices of ham, two slices of sharp cheddar, and the last of the Braunschweiger (about 2oz)
    Breakfast: two hard boiled eggs and 6oz of yogurt

Weight: 224.3
    Bodyfat: 29.3

18. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I am happy to report that my weight continues to drop, albeit slowly, which is fine with me. My goal is to loose the fat and obtain a healthly lifestyle, so I'm feelin' pretty good about the fit of my clothes as well as my energy level and improved sleep patterns. Still, I feel that I have a long way to go. Used to be, I'd be anxious about that, but I figure I didn't get to this point over night, so I'm ok with loosing what Mark suggests will be 1-2 pounds of fat per week on what I consider "the slow burn." Grok it!

Lunch: yogurt, 3oz macadamia nuts
    Dinner: Chili con Carne (with beans-my 20%)
    Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and a 6oz yogurt

Weight: 221.0
    Bodyfat: 31.5

19. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

This weekend was crazy with lots of time on the road. I was able to remain Primal and feel good about that. Saturday was a dance recital for my niece and Sunday was spent visiting my mother-in-law for a hike in the woods. Friday night I tried a new recipe for Meatza that uses ground beef as the crust for pizza. While I think the finished product was ok, I don't believe that we'll be making that again because it was really missing something when compared to traditional pizza.

Friday
    Lunch: Big Salad
    Dinner: Meatza with cheese and pepperoni (1/2# ground beef, 1oz shredded cheese, 9 slices of pepperoni and a little sauce)
    Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and a yogurt

Saturday
    Breakfast: 3 eggs ham and cheese omelet with two strips of bacon
    Lunch: none, breakfast carried the day
    Dinner: Blackened Steak and brocolli at Bob Evans (very small portion for how hungry I was by 7:00 pm)

Sunday
    Breakfast: 3 egg ham and cheese omelet with three strips of bacon
    Lunch: three Roast Beef and Provolone Cheese sandwiches with lettuce instead of bread
    Dinner: Leftover Vegetable Chicken soup that I thawed out for an easy dinner after a long day on the road (4 bowls)
    Snack: 1oz of Gold/Black dark chocolate & large handful of pumpkin seeds during the season finale of Downton Abbey

20. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Feeling kinda caught in limbo as we wait for our house/farm to sell. Wish this housing market would be more productive, but, it is what it is.

Lunch: Big Salad followed by a half mile walk
    Dinner: Pan fried chicken breast in olive oil with ginger, rose mary, and garlic, asparagus on the side, and mashed cauliflower
    Breakfast: 3oz cottage cheese with some sunflower seeds on top

Weight: 224.4

Let's get out there and make this a great day!

1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand
  12. kckndrgn