Elessar's Primal Journey

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Elessar, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I love this. I find it uplifting and motivating.

PS- I have been adding coconut oil to my coffee. Just coffee & the oil. It really helps cut the harsh black coffee taste. I am glad you shared that tip.

2. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Motomom: Thanks for stopping by. Glad to know that you're enjoying your visit here and that the coconut oil works for you, although I can't claim it because I heard about it from someone else and I can't remember who right now.

Years ago, I discovered that my individual happiness, in most cases, was up to me. So, I simply decided to make the best of every situation and that has changed my life life as much as being primal. I remember what I recall as my "dark period" where I went around like a black cloud raining on everyone's parade. It was horrible and really made me feel terrible all the time. So, I decided to "make" my days better by deciding to reflect Jimmy Stewart's character, Elwood P. Dowd, in the 1950 movie "Harvey." In one scene, Elwood commented on the "success in life" advice he recieved from his mother;

Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.

I simply decided to be more pleasant, and make it a great day. Oh, yah, "you may quote me." hahahaha

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and a cup of coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: big salad
    Dinner: 4 cups Zatarain's Black Beans & Rice with ground beef, 1.5 cups peas
    Snack: 2 oz dark chocolate, one cocktail

Exercise:
    I move a bunch of gates around the barn that each weighed 50 pounds. Not much, but it's something.

Weight: 210.8
    Bodyfat: 27.1

Let's get out there and make this a great day!

3. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Looking for rain to fall on my new tomato plants. And, I keep forgetting to bring my next jar of coconut oil to work with me so I've been missing that in my coffee. Actually, I skipped the coffee yesterday because I didn't have the coconut oil for dressing.

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled egg
    Lunch: 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 cups cole slaw
    Dinner: big salad
    Snacks: 1 avocado, 2 oz walnuts, 2 oz pistacios, 1 oz dark chocolate

Exercise: none

Weight: 210.6
    Bodyfat: 27.7

Let's get out there and make it a great day!

4. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

This was a crazy weekend that we started on Thursday with a trip to the new house to move some extra things out from the farm. While we were in transit, we received a text to schedule a showing of the farm that is for sale so we planned to be away from home in anxious anticipation. As yet, we haven't received any feedback from the potential buyers, so we're still waiting.

Friday
    Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and one cup of black coffee
    Dinner: left over chicken breast and 2 oz of liverwurst
    Snacks: one cocktail and 1 oz of dark chocolate

Saturday
    Breakfast: none
    Lunch: @ Cheddars, 11 oz sirloin with steamed broccoli and broccoli casserole, dinner salad with ranch dressing
    Dinner: Major breakdown-10 shortbread Girl Scout Cookies and one cocktail
    Snacks: 1 oz dark chocolate and a lot of pistachios

Sunday - Mother's Day
    Breakfast: McDonald's Big Breakfast with an extra sausage patty (I fed the hotcakes to the chickens)
    Lunch: 4 oz of thin sliced roast beef and 2 oz of cheese
    Dinner: 5 oz chicken breast in Cambells Cream of Chicken soup with 3 oz rice and 4 oz of mixed vegetables steamed
    Snack: 6 oz of pistachios and 2 cocktails

It was nice to see the grandchildren from Cincinnati and have a lunch date at a nice place with that half of our family. Really proud of my son for remembering to call on Mother's Day from his Reserve Training Exercises in Wisconsin; he's my hero! We'll see our other daughter this coming weekend to celebrate Mother's Day a second time; it's tough coordinating visits when everyone lives so far away.

Weight: 210.0
    Bodyfat: 27.5

5. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Major news flash: I ordered a new pair of pants from amazon.com last week and they arrived today. I was able to find a pair of 5.11 Taclite Jean-Cut TDU pants with a 35" waist; that's a pretty obscure size so I thought I'd try it. I've been wearing 40" waist for almost two years and last week my wife called my pants "pucker pants" because I have lost so much weight that my pants size has seriously shrunk. I haven't been able to get into a 34" waist size pants since I was a junior in high school so I thought that trying a 35" size might be optimistic, but I figured that I could keep them if they were still too tight and savor the goal of being able to wear them some time in the future. Well, I was able to simply "slip" them on and snap the button without any trouble at all! I can see that I will ultimately end up in a 34" waist size because I still have a spare tire to get rid of, but this is some fantastic pay back for going Primal!

6. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Very cool Elessar! :)

7. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Great job. Yes that is my greatest reward since I started and the yardstick I judge mt progress by. The size smaller jeans I am now in are starting to get looser everyday. I'm hoping to drop another waist size by the end of the month.

8. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

LOL
    Thats how i mostly know I'm on track when my skinny jeans get loose.

9. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Great job!

10. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Well, I found the manufacturer of my favorite work pants having a sale so I was able to get seven pairs of pants for more than 50% off. I don't expent to loose very much more in size, but that'd be a bonus if I had to buy new pants again. This program is crazy effective and it's hard to believe that when the solution so VERY obvious, why more people don't jump on the band wagon. Oh well, success for us!

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs
    Dinner: 8 oz grilled steak, 4 oz grilled chicken, 4 cups buttered squash
    Snacks: 1 oz dark chocolate, 1 cup black coffee

Weight: 210.6
    Bodyfat: 28.3

11. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

[bestpost][beer]

Minuteman and Yard Dart like this.
  12. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

Yesterday, after work, my wife and I went to the new house to work on refinishing the kitchen floor, which is oak parquet. We have waited until the last minute unable to decide if we should replace or refinish the floor. I say the last minute because the electrician is waiting to install the new ceiling light and exhaust hood service. My issue with the replace/refinish question was one of style, because I fell in love with this little house because of it's charm and 70's feel. So, we're going to keep the parquet, dispite the fact that most would opt to replace it because it presents a dated feel to the look. That's precisely why I choose to keep it and relish the retro look.

However, hand sanding parquet flooring is an "kick-your-ass" physical job and I can clearly understand why it would cost so much to hire someone to do this for you. My body feels like I've been in a wrestling match and I'm not sure who won. I feel pretty confident in the results of our sanding party, but the true measure of success will be when we finish the final coat of Polyurethane and see the warm glow. Until then, I just feel like I've finish an extreme workout. Whew!

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs, 1 cup coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: 6 oz yogurt
    Dinner: 1 cup Zatarain's chicken and rice, 1 BLT sandwich without the bread
    Snacks: 4 oz almonds, 4 oz pistachios, 1 cocktail, 1/2 oz dark chocolate

Weight: 208.4
    Bodyfat: 27.1

13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why not use a vibrating pad sander?o_O

14. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I thought about using a buffer/sander type machine, but the parquet was quite old and we worried that the sander might upset some of the tiles. Besides, I'm cheap and all the sanding supplies fit inside my car and were cheaper than the rent of the sander.

15. kellory

You can own a pad sander or a profile sander for $50-$100. Keep you grit fine and try one in an in obvious spot. You will like it. I have profile, vibrating pad. And belt sanders.

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

O/T, but I have to ask why sanding before the bulb snatcher is done with his step ladder and dropped tools. Seems like holding off on sanding 'till after he's done might have made sense.

+1 on the pad sander. Belts are way too aggressive. This, I KNOW. (But they are WAY faster --)

Motomom34 and kellory like this.
  17. kellory

Use the right tool for the right job.

18. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

We used a pole sander that was originally intended for dry wall. We didn't have to get down on our knees and it took about two hours to sand the entire floor ( 13 x 15) four times in two different grits. The finished product looks good and is ready for sealant.

19. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

First coat of polyurethane went on fast and easy. Second coat scheduled for tonight. Looks good so far.

Breakfast: 2 hard boiled eggs and one cup coffee with coconut oil
    Lunch: left over grilled chicken breast
    Dinner: 6 cups chicken stir fry with chinese noodles and soy sauce
    Snacks: two cocktails, 1 oz dark chocolate, 3 oz almonds

Exercise
    50 Pushups
    50 Situps

Weight: 210.0
    Bodyfat: 29.0

Sapper John and ditch witch like this.
  20. kellory

Have you done floors before? Be very careful not to cause bubbles in the finish, they will NEVER go away. Are you using a brush or pad applicator?

1. Ganado
  2. 3M-TA3
  3. GrayGhost
  4. hot diggity
  5. kckndrgn
  6. Minuteman
  7. ditch witch
  8. DarkLight
  9. Sapper John
  10. Yard Dart
  11. RightHand
  12. kckndrgn