Elk hunter survives grizzly encounter

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Quigley_Sharps, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Elk hunter survives grizzly encounter
    By JOHN MORGAN
    Star-Tribune staff writer

Staring almost certain death in the face, an elk hunter from Buffalo narrowly avoided becoming prey to an aggressive grizzly bear in the Tetons recently.

Gary Kramer, 47, was hunting elk on Pacific Creek in the Teton Range late last month when he heard an "explosion of noise" from the trees and saw a huge grizzly charging straight at him.

"I can't fully describe the feeling I had," Kramer told the Buffalo Bulletin. "I raised my rifle and yelled at the top of my lungs."

The bear stopped its charge 15 feet from him and moved to the side, but kept staring intently. Kramer backed away down an incline and out of sight.

The bear suddenly gave a loud roar and charged at Kramer again, stopping less than 10 feet from him.

"It came over the incline so fast I couldn't believe it," he said. "It was absolutely terrifying. I was so close I could almost reach out and touch it."

The bear changed its mind and went back over the bank, and Kramer was able to return to camp without further incident.

If the bear was trying to scare Kramer away from its territory, it worked. Kramer doubts he will ever return to the area and now will probably hunt in the Big Horns, which is not a part of grizzly habitat.

2. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sorry, I think especialy once it stoped if not sonner I would have dumped a mag into its skull!!!

3. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

They forgot about one small incident - He had to change his drawers :lol:

4. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Just in case you ever encounter a bear in the woods you might want to try a different shot placement so you might have a chance at living a longer life. I've never hunted bear and have yet to have a close encounter with one. I'm not criticizing just trying to help with useful info.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3775/is_200309/ai_n9286930

Shot Placement

Even the heaviest gun won't get the job done, though, without proper shot placement. Wayne Wiebe has probably guided more clients on successful bear hunts than any person alive. For many years he controlled the hunting rights on the northern two-thirds of Vancouver Island, pursuing both the ubiquitous black bears and a limited quota of grizzlies.

"Most hunters shoot too high on bears," Wiebe says. "Aim below the center line of the animal's body. That's where the heart and lungs lie."

Avoid neck shots. It's too easy to miss or hit a nonvital area. Also pass on frontal chest shots unless it's the only opportunity you are presented with. If you do try that angle, be sure to place the cross hairs lower than your instincts from deer and elk hunting tell you to.

Shoulder shots are favored by some to "break down" the bear. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. One of the few shoulder shots I've taken was accidental (I was aiming just behind the shoulder), and it resulted in a near-nightmare situation where the bear had to be tracked and finished off as it lunged for a member of my hunting party. Make no mistake: A large, wounded black bear in thick cover can pose just as much risk as a grizzly-particularly when that bear happens to be four to five hundred pounds and more than seven feet long, as this one was.

http://www.huntingmag.com/big_game/fiercest_game/

GRIZZLY GUNS & LOADS

Many pages have been published over the years on what cartridges are appropriate for grizzly hunting, but they haven't always been written by people who've been there and done that. Guides and outfitters who have spent many years in grizzly country are really the best source of information pertaining to what loads are better than others. In determining the suitability of a cartridge/bullet combination, you should first look at the quarry. You are dealing with a large, muscular animal that will probably weigh in the vicinity of 450 to 600 pounds but may weigh as much as 800. You are also dealing with a creature that can and will punish you if you botch things up. Consequently, the objective is to put the bear down quickly so that it can't charge or escape into heavy cover. A solid lung hit will put the biggest grizzly down fairly quickly, but the best shot placement is one that will break at least one and preferably both of the bear's shoulders. This type of shot placement will quickly anchor the bear and give you time for a follow-up shot if required. With this size of animal, a prudent minimum should be the .30-06 with stoutly constructed 180-grain bullets. The various .300 and .338 magnums with premium-quality, controlled-expansion bullets are an even better choice, and the .375 H&H is not out of place. There is no such thing as overkill on these big bears. Nosler Partition, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, Barnes X, Swift and a number of other proven bullets are the ones you should use for grizzly. I have seen lesser bullets blow up on the near shoulder of a bear and cause some very exciting moments until my .375 H&H calmed things down. Over the years, I have personally taken, or seen grizzlies taken, with everything from the .270 Win. on up. The .270 will do it if things are not too hairy and you put the bullet in the right spot. But remember that if things don't go so well, you'd do well to be carrying a rifle/cartridge that will end the problem in short order. It's hardly any coincidence that you'll find a lot of .338s and .375s in the hands of grizzly guides. If you simply can't handle such big guns, use your .30-06 or 7mm magnum loaded with heavy, stoutly constructed bullets--and make your shot count.

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I dont live in bear country and have never hunted in bear country but figure if I was I would be sure to be overpowered for the deer and elk and such so as to be more than adequate for the bear. Main reason I mention head shots is just that short of breakinf the spine its the only way I know of to stop a critter up close, a heart shot on a deer I know will generaly have the deer down 50 to 100 yards away and just figured if a bear is at 25 yards or so then he would be likely to get to you with anything but a brain shot and I may be a big fella but dont think I would fair to well even against one half hearted slap from a bear, basicly ideal is to IMHO is not to be that close to them in the first place, the head shot is just the best I could come up with to remidee it. :shock:

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7