Elk hunting

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Bishop, May 8, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Hey anyone here on the monkey have elk on there land that maybe you don't hunt or need a hunting partner or two I don't care if it's a bull or cow would be willing to do all the work if if you hunt or share half and half if you don't hunt.

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heck, holer if you need a 3rd. Haha.

3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

LOL, I have a YUGE herd that frequents my Property, but we do not hunt them. My two neighbors and I practice game management in order to preserve these animals for the future when we may need to rely on them for sustenance PSHTF Sorry, no hunting, but if you need Beef, or Reindeer, or buffalo, or pork, we got ya covered!

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Yard Dart like this.
  4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like food!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

what's reindeer taste like

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Migit Caribou.... Mmmm, Good...

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@BTPost how do you cook Caribou, the last time i had it it was very gamey, is there a way to cook it that tones that down? I tried soaking in milk like i do with an older deer but that didnt work. Any suggestions?

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The gaminess comes from the way it was processed after it was killed... One of my neighbors, brings home a "Bou" every fall, and hands out Steaks, to his neighbors... We cook those, just like Beef...

Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

oh idk that, thanks

Ura-Ki likes this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

The trick with any game or fish is to get the blood and the guts out of the animal as soon as possible, let it chill before skinning and butchering! For people more sensitive to the gamy flavors, the milk trick usually works, but some times letting the meat cure for several days wrapped in cheese cloth in the fridge, and then let warm up to room temp before any seasoning/marinading, and then cook in what ever way is desired. Reindeer, Swamp Donkey, and Bear can get pretty gamy, I like to bleed them and gut them as quickly as I can, skin as soon as I can get them to camp, and then quarter and let them cool in a empty cooler ( no ice) until I get them home and then I butcher and package every thing in cheese cloth and butcher paper, and freeze what ever I am not going to eat in the next several days! Try double wrapping fine mesh cheese cloth next time, I think you will find it draws a lot more blood out of the tissue and takes away much of the game flavor!

Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

What I do is put it on ice let it melt down drain more ice drain more ice drain more ice for about a week that works very well

Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thanks @Bishop I never tried cheese cloth.

What is a 'swamp donkey'?

Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That is a good trick. When you want us to be up there for a hunting trip?

Ganado and Ura-Ki like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Ha!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Plenty of elk around north Idaho, West Montana, and Eastern Washington..

Ura-Ki likes this.
  17. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We refer to Roosevelt Elk, and Moose as Swamp Donkeys due to the terrain they inhabit, which is usually swamp like. For me, it's a carry over from when I lived on the wet coast! I know Alaskans refer to both elk and moose this way.

18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

We had elk, you could have shot them off the back deck. Nasty animals, destructive and smelly. They eat everything you plant. If they do not eat it, they will take a bite, pull the plant up and spit it on the lawn. They poo all over the place and destroy small trees. After years of battle, I do not see them as beautiful creatures.

Bishop and Ganado like this.
  19. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Elk hunting party at motos house

Tully Mars, AxesAreBetter and Ganado like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7