Emails From Survivalmonkey.com - Poll

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, Jul 17, 2012.

?
  1. I think the're fine and like seeing the forum activity while I'm offline.

22 vote(s)
    68.8%
  2. I like seeing some activity but this is too much.

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I don't want to see anything about the forum when I'm offline.

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  4. I've added Survival Monkey Forums to my SPAM email rules.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

So with this new software comes an 'Alert' system that lets you know anytime somebody has done almost anything that might be of interest to you: Replied to a thread you created, replied in a thread you replied to, sent you a Conversation, etc.

I know that most 'forums' don't do this but sites like Facebook and others do - I see a constant stream of emails come through from FB on my wife's various devices...

What do you think of this system? This poll is anonymous.

I'll post some tips on how to tune you alert settings later.

edit: i just heard that one (or more) members were having trouble changing their email via their control panel. Clyde, how did you recently change yours?
    While we track this down, if anyone needs an email addy updated, please start a conversation with melbo

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

I have yet to receive any alert emails, but given all of the options to pick and choose which alerts to receive, I think it's a good idea. There is certainly value in being able to get a timely response in some instances.

3. melbo

And were any of your alert options checked?

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have cast my vote...

5. melbo

And true to the 'anonymous' claim, I cannot see users associated with any of them.

Thanks

6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I have still voted...I don't care whom see's it...

After all ..This is the best site for prepper's...!!!

7. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

Given that we can change our alerting preferences, I don't think that the available poll choices are complete because you can choose to have as much or as little to no alerts.

So, my choice would #1, but I uncheck all alerts except for tags (the @usernametag) so, I'm effectively not receiving anything.

The amount of control is just right, IMO.

To add SM to your spam filters would necessarily mean you are not adjusting your alerting preferences accordingly.

Brokor likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

+1

9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

I'm fine with them....................guess I need a hobby or get started on Oldawg's womans to do list.

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I chose not to recieve in my alerts.... but can see the alerts when i sign on.... so i have no issues with the system

11. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Monkey++

After receiving the first one I turned them off.

12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Just all of them :)

No threads followed at this time, but notification of quoted msgs and likes should still come through, right?

melbo likes this.
  13. melbo

Let's try it. Liked and quoted although I don't think likes trigger an email.
    You could also try 'watching' this thread to see if you receive notifications.

Some of the new settings are not set as default for users who joined on the old board.

14. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

...came through as a "new reply to a watched thread" notification, nothing about quotes or likes. But it did come thru.

As far as default, I did check before my "all of them" post to verify that they were, indeed, all checked.

Thanks...we'll get the hang of this critter yet ;)

15. melbo

Thanks for testing.

16. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

No problem...we all need to communicate issues when and if they arise if we expect to correct or understand them.

17. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

I changed it under settings, contact details. Top line is email. Change it then save.

18. melbo

If you would like to turn off Automatic Thread Watching, go to http://www.survivalmonkey.com/account/preferences or by finding Preferences by hovering over your username at the top right of any page:
    Screenshot-17.

Uncheck 'Automatically watch..." and/or "and receive emails..."
    Screenshot-16.

You can change the rest of your alerts by finding Alert Preferences and ticking or unticking the options:

Screenshot-18.

Brokor likes this.
  19. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

I received one and I was wondering what was happening till I checked in today. I think it is a nice touch especially after finding out that you can choose which ones to receive or not receive.

20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Unless I missed something, unchecking the box didn't hold --. Don't take that to the bank yet, needs another cycle of observations.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7