1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Emergency backpack shelter kit

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Hanzo, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Under 1 1/2 pounds. 1 pound 4.5 ounces to be more accurate for you gram weenies out there. ;) Take out the knife (4.4 ounces) and the kit is, for all intents and purposes, one pound. Granted, it is not a hotel. I would just fit under it. But it could keep me dry and warm. It will easily fit in a backpack or shoulder bag. Heck even in a large cargo pocket.

The base of the kit is the GoLite poncho tarp. The moisture barrier/blanket is the heat sheet. The knife, which is redundant, may or may not travel depending. But it gives a pretty good tool to fashion stakes, brush cover, etc. And I have more cordage than really necessary, but I like string. I have a short length of paracord to use as a belt to cinch the poncho down, about 25 feet of paracord for a ridge line or to suspend the poncho for a pyramid type shelter, and four lengths of accessory cord of about 15 feet each. Oh and the mesh bag and a bandana.

Should do the job in a pinch, even though it may not be the most spacious and comfortable.
  2. Gopherman

Gopherman Sometimes I Wish I Could Go Back to Sleep Site Supporter++

Hanzo likes this.
  3. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

One can never have too much string.
    Hanzo and VisuTrac like this.
  4. KAS

KAS Monkey++

no ice cream????
    no sushi ???

u feeling ok hanzo ???

also ill be in your neck of the woods tommor so if i get stuck i would love to meet up ....
    Hanzo likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just not in my poncho, @KAS.

You in Hawaii? Or just making me look gullible?
  6. KAS

KAS Monkey++

I was passing threw from guam and have missed my connecting flight there before but i made it this time ...
    But next time i will be sure to miss it !
    Hanzo likes this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hafa Adai, @KAS!
    KAS likes this.
  8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Those military rip stop ponchos are great for all sorts of things. Have used them for tents, lean tos, and of course a poncho. Have used them simply to lay on and pull over a sleeping bag to keep the dew off/or rain. Just wish they were a bit longer-lol. Poncho and paracord make a fine tool for camping.
    Hanzo likes this.
  1. H.I.S Survival
  2. Velit_Survival
  3. _abelvin
  4. bmysliwiec
  5. winston
  6. Tyler Danann
  7. sec_monkey
  8. off grid survival
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. hollisticprepper
  11. hillbill