Emergency food: honey

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Sharpie44, Oct 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Srbenda

Srbenda Monkey++

Sorry! Typed too fast!

2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Apiary, aviary...who cares...it's all good chow!... :D

3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Foxfire 11 has a good chapter on beekeeping and honey. The old folk interviewed seem to think that the decrease in honey is primarily from a mite. That's the reason why swarms are disappearing but bees in general are not. When they swarm, the mite is spread and kills them off.

I love honey. Most don't realized that honey is the #1 faked food. So commonly faked that the stuff you get at the super market isn't likely to be honey at all.

Honey does crystallize over time. All you have to do is heat it up a bit and it will melt back out.

4. Ytka

Ytka Monkey+

I can't personally attest to this, but I've heard eating a spoonful of honey from your area can also help with allergies. The fair is coming up, so I'm going to stock up and give it a shot.

5. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I've heard that, too - make sure it's raw and unpasteurized local honey. At the fair; ask a local farmer (or some old-timer spectating at the livestock show ring) where to get local honey.

We eat raw honey and no one in the family has allergies. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but I'm not changing to the national, bottled stuff - it's not nearly as tasty.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I have two 5 gallon buckets of honey that I bought in 1999. Both are crystallized and I think that just adds to the longevity. I've had pure/raw/organic honey from a local farm crystallize in 3 months. Just a heat and eat remedy!

I think I paid $50 a piece for them then.

7. flavapor

flavapor Monkey+

If you mix raw honey with unfiltered organic cidar vinegar (bragg) in equal parts and take a tbsp per day, it makes your body alkaline, and bacteria and virus dont live in an alkaline atmosphere. If you start to come down with something you take several doses per day and it wipes it out. It takes a few weeks for your system to build it up, but supposedly will keep cancer away too, if taken daily.

The taste really isnt that bad, I have the whole family on it for a few months now. It also acts as an anti inflammatory

8. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

What he said!...all very true!

9. thursday

thursday Monkey+

Bees wax is also a nice bi-product. It has a bunch of uses.

10. Joseph Thomas

Joseph Thomas Monkey+

In a survival situation I would definitely eat beeswax.

11. Drumbo

Drumbo Monkey+

I've been hosting a topic on honey at my own forum and came across this depressing example of our gub'ment at work: Wik-Bee Leaks: EPA Document Shows It Knowingly Allowed Pesticide That Kills Honey Bees

12. SoCal09

SoCal09 Monkey++

You'll also learn that the kidneys will suffer

13. sayety

sayety Monkey+

I too keep at least a gallon of honey around. I try to buy the most local i can find. The guy i had been getting it from recently moved. I'll try to track him down in the spring.

Another fellow he was telling me about makes a living traveling the eastern sea board with his bees. In FL this time of year and works his way north to Maine. then reset and repeat. Been doing it 20 years or so...sounds like an interesting life.

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

My wife has an apiary with 4 hives... we do our own honey making.... she is thinking about increasing the number of hives this spring...

15. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

Do the kidneys suffer because of the vinegar? I have some elderly friends that have been taking cider for quite a while.

16. gennegan

gennegan Monkey+

Honey and a teaspoon of cinnamon in hot water is a natural cure for arthritis, and a lot of other things

17. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

I have read and heard that they are doing studies on ph and cancer... how the high the acidity in your blood the more prone to cancer you are??? This will be interesting research for sure...

18. franks71vw

franks71vw Monkey+++

Can you elaborate please!!![dunno]

19. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Please elaborate, a quick google found nothing.

Thanks

20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have been doing cider vinegar and honey for many years and have never heard anything about kidney damage, in fact, the best home remedy for urinary infections I have ever found is a big-gulp glass of cider vinegar, honey, and water. Pisses you clean in no time at all.
    I would challange anyone to show it different and document it.

1. Motomom34
  2. Motomom34
  3. Motomom34
  4. melbo
  5. Bishop
  6. Motomom34
  7. RightHand
  8. Motomom34
  9. stg58
  10. CATO
  11. permacamo
  12. dragonfly