Emergency radios, what kind are the best?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by soraya7777, Sep 10, 2015.

1. soraya7777

soraya7777 Monkey

What are the best emergency radios to purchase? Where do I get them?

Brokor and hitchcock4 like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Hi soraya777, and welcome to the forum. I suggest snooping around in the Communications Sub-Forum: Survival Communications | Survival Forums

We have some outstanding and helpful contributors there. When you have familiarized yourself a bit, think about what your needs/specifications are. You will likely find your answer there. If not, open a thread in that sub-forum.

3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Hello @soraya7777, if you could be a bit more specific that could help us point you to the info you are looking for.What are you wanting your emergency radio to do? What will it be used for?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Tree, if you can provide a bit more information, we can get you the answers you are looking for, for sure.... We have wealth of Comms information available here on the Monkey... We can HELP....

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. duane

duane Monkey+++

My personal bias is to define your needs, how much distance, who you wish to communicate with,how to power the units and how much you can afford. There is a lot of advice in this group on filling those needs. Then get something and practice with it. All to often it seems that we spend so much time looking for the "best" radio, weapon, food supply, water purification system, add your choice, and end up with nothing or with something that we do not know how to use.
    Once you have the most basic needs filled, then look into the "best" solution and make improvements. Just my opinion and your needs may vary.

Ganado likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I assume you mean AM/FM emergency radio possibly with SW (short wave) and emergency weather alerts? Possibly with features such as solar, crank, or phone charging? I could recommend a couple I have come to trust and have tested them myself.

This is the Grundig M400, (FM/AM/SW) small and portable, fits in the palm of your hand and won't weigh you down:
    DSC00060.JPG

Overall performance: Very useful for backpacking and hiking, and runs on two AAA batteries. The tuning leaves a bit to be desired, but it works well enough for the money.

Grundig: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4PJ524/?tag=survivalmonke-20
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Kaito KA500 with AM/FM/SW NOAA Weather Alert, Solar,Wind Up, Dynamo Crank, Flashlight, Cellphone Charger
    kv.
    Overall performance: It's decent, and I would say better than most out there. The solar isn't the best, but it does work, only not as well as some will expect. The crank function does work, but it isn't built like a military radio, so don't abuse it. The tuning is pretty decent, and there's ample reception. If you are buying this radio strictly to charge a cellphone, I wouldn't recommend it. For a fairly light radio which picks up SW, it's a solid buy. You can also use standard batteries in this if you prefer not to use the rechargeable battery pack, or you can use your own rechargeable batteries to replace the pack it comes with. It is rugged enough to work when you need it and is far better than many gimmick radios I have tried.

KAITO: Amazon.com: Kaito KA500 5-way Powered Emergency AM/FM/SW NOAA Weather Alert Radio with Solar,Wind Up,Dynamo Crank,Flashlight and Reading Lamp, Cellphone Charger,Color Black: Electronics

----------------------------------------------------------

I also recommend an external antenna to increase reception: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00066Z9XG/?tag=survivalmonke-20

I would not skip the SW function, it's highly useful since AM/FM frequencies can be compromised in an emergency with Federal Emergency guidelines in place, making them pretty much useless. But, it's your decision to make. The most pertinent related threads I will link, and there are more related threads on this subject at the bottom of the page:

Solar/crank powered radio | Page 2 | Survival Forums
    Crank Radio - Recommendations? | Survival Forums
    AM/FM radio plans? | Survival Forums

Yard Dart, kellory, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

Excellent post! As a newbe I really appreciate the references to the previous posts that discussed this in detail. There has been so many good posts made over the years and it kind of overwhelms you when you try to find something out.

Brokor, kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. JA40
  4. ED GEiN
  5. Southbound
  6. bumpshadow
  7. hitchcock4
  8. DKR
  9. Bandit99
  10. Bandit99
  11. DKR
  12. DKR