EMPStorm- trademark

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Jan 26, 2019.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Ever break the circuit on high voltage ?
    Do you really understand what you get when it happens. ?
    I can tell you with absolute fact and it is something you can prove your self.
    while your engine is running pull a spark plug wire . if you dare . this is a process that has been operating since the engine was invented.
    I have seen arcs over a foot long trying to disconnect from the source on high voltage lines ,it is frightening if you are very close to it. metal is melting and snapping like a grease fire ablaze.
    Do you know what lightening is , an arc of electricity .
    I worked for a major ski area ,ad they had tried every thing in the word to protect their communications and electrical system from the effects of lightening strike and NOTHING CAN SWITCH OFF FAST ENOUGH . If there is the possibility of lightening, the system is shut down manually till the danger is past, with a switch that not only opens the circuit but puts a block in the way .
    Any ground will attract an electrical surge, other wise nothing electric would work .
    one wire supplies the energy one wire is the ground and the work is what is between be it a light bulb or a motor .Break that circuit in motion and you will get an arc, the higher the voltage the greater the arc.
    Unlike when the first CME hit, our homes are covered in wire, regardless of the wire and steel surrounding us now days .like a giant antenna . all grounded like a lightening rod. Lightening rods ATTRACT lightening in an effort to distract lightening from the structures near it .
    Now we are looking at a very small switch , that has a circuit smaller than the distance of a spark plug gap.

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

You get a large release of energy to the maximum allowed by the source.

AKA an explosion.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

MOVs just short circuit the over voltage they are very fast acting because they are always on.
    Just not made to take the energy of a lightning hit.

There's also lightning arrestors like are used on electric fences.

I have considered adding lightning arrestors to the service drop, MOVs inside the panels and MOVs inside most devices.
    I already have MOVs inside the panels and in large devices.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

thanks , technology is just speeding on past me.

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Lightning arrestors merely give a false sense of security from a direct strike. Stop and think for a second...lightning just jumped over twenty miles, a half-inch semiconductor is not going to stop it. They are designed to bleed off induced voltage from nearby strikes.

Merkun likes this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Hopefully that's all it is not much survives a direct hit.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. HK_User

As far as Lightning I read a white paper on an even worse event that relates to my area.

If you live where the power line dead ends on the stretch you draw power from then in the event of a strike the charge will travel to the end of the line and fold back on its self and hit you twice!

I found this write up while researching a false surge that knocked out some equipment with a properly wired system and conduit grounds This affected our cooling tower fans in Houston. The Allen Bradly drive controllers would sense an over current with the right type lighting even if it did not hit our building.

We Solved the problem with independent ground leads to all cooling towers and associated equipment even though we had full building (10 story building) ground system and of course ground leads in the wiring and conduit.

EMP will be much worse so just kiss anything hooked up good bye.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

For post EMP comm these might be a better investment. One is limited only by your runners endurance, the other I've talked on (well, talked LOUDLY without external power) over two miles of slash wire.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and HK_User like this.
  9. HK_User

A Haze Gray phone, must be Navy.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Never under estimate the resourcefulness of a USMC supply clerk. :)...and ask no questions.

Gator 45/70, oldawg and HK_User like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

[​IMG]
    Semaphore. Not an LSO.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. HK_User

14. HK_User

FWIW, the insulation on the wires looks to be a max 1000v.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  16. snake6264

I do like his books

Gator 45/70, oldman11 and Motomom34 like this.
  17. snake6264

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If there is a bad solar storm remove your power meter and drop it on ground until it passes.

Gator 45/70 and Zimmy like this.
  19. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

why remove teh power meter? can you elaborate on this @oil pan 4

HK_User likes this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

For a few reasons.
    We know well in advance when a solar storm is headed our way.
    Solar storms induce fractions of a volt per mile onto conductors so the power grid will absorb huge amounts of energy from the energized atmosphere.
    Your house has maybe a mile of wire in it so when you disconnect from the power grid you might build up a half volt, which can't do anything.
    When appliances are subjected to over voltage and transient line voltages they tend to fry. Then they can start a fire and burn your house down.
    Removing the power meter disconnects you from the power grid.
    Some people say just turn off the brrakers. Well that's fine but if the power meter it's self catches on fire you are screwed.

Ganado, HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7