EMPStorm- trademark

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you pull the meter, you'll need to break a seal. Be aware that is illegal. Saying that, yanking it is possibly a safety move, but it WILL be questioned. Do NOT replace the meter until the power company checks the upstream lines for damage, and DO open all the breakers before pulling OR stabbing the meter back in. (You might draw an arc if you don't, and it could be right bright.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
    Zimmy, Cruisin Sloth and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

When I built my House back in '82, I had a 200Amp Transfer/Disconnect installed between the PowerMeter and the Main Breaker.... This allowed for a Generator to power the House, as well as Disconnecting from the Grid, if needed... Cast was just the price of the Disconnect, as this was all New Construction.. Cheap when you do it right the First time...

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Most people don't have a service disconnect. I have the 200 amp breaker service disconnect on the main panel. But not everyone is required to have a disconnect.

I cut the seal on my meter back around 2012 to do a panel upgrade. They didn't put another seal on it till 2016 or 2017 when they went around and installed a smart meters.

When the next big solar storm hits stay connected to the power grid if you want the power grid may fail spectacularly and your house may go up in smoke too. It does not matter to me.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Yup, have a service disconnect on the pole after the meter and a MBT in the garage for the Gen.

oldawg likes this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Thank you @oil pan 4 I really appreciate the explanation

HK_User likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Snake oil for the 500 unit Post .
    300 clams is over priced !!
    I run 7 SPD's at the ranch .
    Warrantied and if one get,s hit , Im sure Robin would replace it if you paid to ship (both ways) it in for repair and seeing why and what.
    I have seen this gent look after his products ..
    SO Im a Midnite boy for life.
    Im on solar Grid tie and off grid with battery BU and not . separate systems ..All have them :
    http://www.midnitesolar.com/pages/spd/index.php

I hope it starts at 2m22sec.

Pricing : MidNite Solar Surge Protection Device MNSPD-300-AC

Sloth

Ryan is no longer at MN , but were working on getting him back and repaired ;)
    Nice gent

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
    Motomom34 likes this.
  7. duane

duane Monkey+++

How effective are the old carbon block lightening protectors? The phone company used them by the thousands in the 1960's and I was always replacing them. 2 closely spaced pieces of carbon with a earth ground to one carbon, one used on each leg, and when they arced it would offer a low resistance to ground. Seen the dam*** things vaporized. I have measured 500 volts on a long distance copper telephone wire to local ground often. You grounded the line before your line man worked on the line or he could get a good shock and that isn't nice when he is 35 feet up a pole in the middle of the night.

HK_User and Dunerunner like this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

@duane
    They were one shot units , after a few hits it took more to overcome to make them work as installed.
    I haven;t had a hit as of yet it didn't have a SPD have seen the ones that Midnight have in there RMA area ,that were replaced ..
    I had a Wizbang JR go left ,,It didn't have a SPD on it (Solar Powered Golf cart 48V with 220Vac inverter on the back ) no spd unit till the WBjr died .. Sheet lighting got it I think ?????
    Sloth

9. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

From what I understand in the 1970's a solar flare knocked out allot of Canada's eastern sea board. And
    it didnt come thru the wires it was a wave thru space. How does something hooked to a panel save from a EMP or solar flare,

11. Cruisin Sloth

Canada's 1970 problem was Quebec and the eastern Nova power fighting .
    BC,Quebec ,Nova all are HUGE HYDRO ..It's a pricing war to sell to USA , internal fights are here as well.
    In 1970 we didn't have micro chips , OCB's to All manual or controlled switches ..
    Im a ex CO for Hydro in those years ,, I did turbines APU's ,Dams to diesels ,Posted from .MIL in a .GOV owned company ..
    So I never heard of the Solar flare causing any problem . Problems were holding water back over too much and dumping without flooding , and the time difference to open gates must be timed .
    Sloth

12. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Update

Motomom34 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7