enabling anyone to communicate safely and covertly

Discussion in 'Technical' started by melbo, May 16, 2012.

Tags:
  1. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Sorry RR but the results of your search are based on Google's "personalized search" which returns results to individual users based on their web browsing history and clicks. Search results are tailored for you. In a search of Liberte Linux on a virgin computer, the SM link was deeper than the first 30 pages of results - that's where I stopped looking.

Sorry to hijack the thread but people really should understand personalized searches and how to opt out.

2. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Opps, yep forgot I was logged into my google account.
    Logged out and with a fresh copy of Firefox (set to erase everything on exit) it comes up as you stated.

3. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Anywho Guit, where did you hang up?
    Mine hung up while initializing encrypted storage.

4. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I didn't get that far...didn't make it past boot.....

Liberte vers 1234....(hang)

5. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Second attempt went smoothly and fairly quickly.
    Now posting with Liberte and it's safe browser.

Brokor likes this.
  6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

If anybody wants to get my Claws Mail address for Liberte, just PM me and you can send a test message. Remember, it does take a few minutes for the mail to propagate. Once you add me to your addressbook, it will save in your encrypted persist file, so even after you reboot it will be there.

I also run ICQ, my info should be on every post I make or in my user profile. Anyway it's 110488750 if you want to actively chat in Liberte for help.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Did a download of the LINUX LIBERTE distro for VirtualBox, and had an error on importing that VMDISK. It says the Imported File is corrupt. so now I am sucking the .iso up my narrow IP Pipe, and will burn that to a Thumb drive and then use that as the Booted Drive, in VirtualBox, and see if I can get it running. Hope fully I will be up and running here in an hour or to. I plan on loading the Linux version of GPG into that VM, and if I can figure out how to do it getting OnePad.app and Stego.app, running in some form on there as well. Hey Melbo, do you have a PreMicroSquach version of skype, for Linux somewhere? I would like to get that on their as well. I will be checking out that skype replacement as well..... Just Ask'en

8. Brokor

I used the .zip download for thumb drives, not the .iso

Let me know if the .iso even works. Mine never did. And there is no Skype for Linux.

9. BTPost

Well I have tried everything I can think of, to make this load and execute in a VM, and it is NO Go.... so I eMailed the Swiss Guy who put the package together, and outlined my issues.....

His response was "Well, we never designed this system to work inside a VM, only on REAL Hardware." The .ova does work in the Linux,, and Windows, version of VIrtual Box, so it must be a Mac Issue." and finally "To Bad, so Sad."

Well so much for that, after 24 hours of messing with it, I have come to the conclusion, "It will NOT work for "Me"....".... YMMV......

10. scpn

scpn Monkey+++

I d/l'ed the zip, but haven't attempted to install to USB yet. How much space does it take up when installed? Do I need to remove my files from the USB and reformat it first? It's FAT right now ( 16,384 bytes in each allocation unit; 1,006,338,048 bytes total disk space, 448,266,240 bytes available on disk.).

11. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Looks to be taking up about 1.2GB of my 16GB flash drive. Can't answer the other questions as I decided to play it safe and reformat (FAT32) before installing. When viewed in Windows it shows the total capacity as 14.8GB and lists it as completely empty.

12. Brokor

Yup, the files remain hidden once activated. And I used this on a 1GB USB stick and a 4GB USB and they both work great.

13. kfaulk

kfaulk Monkey

With the possible judgement day-esque thing going, it would be interesting to actually see how things are going to pan out. And with communication being something that is really important, it would be vital to have a safe way of communication established between people. Though expensive, it would be vital to have one that will certainly work on the most dire of moments. That should be something we should bank on.

Brokor likes this.
  14. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

Brokor, I am running PCLinuxOS 2012 Gnome and I have Skype 2.2 beta running OK. Maybe Liberte' has one in their repositories?

15. BTPost

Georgia Boy... Give me a call on Skype, sometime.....< btpostak >

Georgia_Boy likes this.
  16. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

For all of you guys who use Skype, here's something to think about:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...itecture-of-skype-to-make-it-easier-to-snoop/

Between Skype and Facebook, the .gov has a large chunk of the population (of age) under surveillance.

17. BTPost

That is EXACTLY why I am still using the LAST Program Release Version, BEFORE MicroSquash bought Skype.....
    and will NOT upgrade it further....
    it works just fine... for Type Chats, Audio Chats and Video Chats.... and has limited Snoop Factors... in the software....

18. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

I found out at the skype website that you can do a direct download of skype for Linux and other OSes.
    Bruce, I am fumbling with my Skype (almost zero experience). I tried an SMS. Didn't place a call (another zero, $$$$). Hope you are well!
    GB

19. BTPost

Goto the "Contacts" menu and select "Add a Contact" and enter "BTPOSTAK" and ask for it to be added to your Contacts List...
    I will confirm on my end.... then we can chat with Type, Audio, or Video.....

20. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

I guess I'm in the "no $h!7 Sherlock" category.

Check this out: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-ne...lly-every-u-s-citizen-in-the-country_07192012

I would be interested in hearing what tulianr comments are.

Basically, if this is true, the ability of anyone to communicate safely and covertly is a pipe dream.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. aardbewoner
  3. aardbewoner
  4. Brokor
  5. 3M-TA3
  6. Brokor
  7. DarkLight
  8. Brokor
  9. kckndrgn
  10. survivalmonkey
  11. survivalmonkey
  12. survivalmonkey