Energy set up help please

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Jaywest, May 20, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

So you have over a kilowatt potential draw with some (as yet undefined) diversity. You have the ability to charge at 100 watts if the sun comes out and hits the panels vertically. Things you need to know to go forward with design:
    -You need to figure the total number of kilowatt hours you will consume in however long the sun fails to look over you. (Recognize, as I think you do, that power and capacity ain't quite the same thing.) CCA is completely meaningless in this application.
    -What sort of diversity factor is there in the total loads?
    -What is the anticipated round the clock loading?
    -How much wind can you count on? (Nothing, methinks, but there might be some supplement when the clouds come in and at night.)

With that you can start design. Battery bank comes first, buy enough kwh at max draw to cover your dark day loading AND so you don't discharge the batteries to about half capacity. Then, size your panel array to charge the batteries on a design day. The rest is a cake walk. Don't forget a backup charging scheme for those days where the design criteria are exceeded.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The nature of animals cannot be legislated . Critters will by nature test to prove their prowess . I have wind mills and none of them have produced one dead bird yet. I have rabbits that run in front of me regularly while driving in my driveway .150 Yards dirt path.
    Regularly I see birds fly in and through traffic, mostly across rarely with traffic, Birds hit bunches and fall , Birds feed on other birds and their eggs . what are you going to do about all that ?
    If your battery system is too small so that they are being over charged , grow it.
    If your batteries are not getting enough charge , grow the solar and other alternatives .
    If your consumption can be improved , do it.
    I lived in a valley in the desert that got shaded by the mountains to the south ,about 6 hours of good exposure . So I built a small engine and automotive alternator to supplement the needed energy. In those days LEDs were not available so we had 12 volt incandescent and automotive lights ,which was better then using an inverter and AC lighting.
    Any time I ran the AC generator I ran a battery charger as well, making use of the fuel spent.
    In those days all I could afford was used trade in boat batteries, working at a marina the boss let me have them .
    Being used I had a switch for every panel and battery so I could track the good from the dying .Dead batteries finally got put on the return pile at work .
    I also maintained chalk board to track each component.
    This program payed off in my shop trailer construction and the solar applied to it, big time.

3. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

One step at a time...."CCA" is cold cranking amps...indicating those are not true deep cycle batteries, most likely marine starting rated. Don't expect them to last long considering that you keep drawing them down excessively (inferred from OP). Start shopping for real deep cycle batteries in your area - shipping batteries gets expensive.

You don't have enough power generation. You mentioned you really don't have enough wind or sun, but do you have access to hydro? A micro hydro station can make a huge impact...

Power storage...yeah. Impossible to know because you haven't given the TIME you run...whatever you are running...

You really need to step up to the plate and carry your part...after all, this is your system, and none of us are psychic.

Maybe psychotic...LOL

Energy set up help please

4. Jaywest

Jaywest Monkey

thanks for all the advice every bit helps especially being a complete novice in all of off grid, electricity and ulternative power. I clearly have some calculations to do thanks again.

5. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I don't know how long you want to run your 1200w but if it is any amount of time at all I would say you need more panels, lots more. If you give us an idea of how long you will be pulling 1200w we could give you an idea of how many panels you need.

6. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

@Jaywest, to calculate your power consumption, take the rated watts of a given appliance, then multiply that by the hours you need the appliance to run, daily. That result will be watt hours.

Example: A fan consumes 50 watts. You need it powered 3 hours per day. That is 150 watt hours.

Add the total watt hours of each appliance you need powered over that time, to calculate the actual number needed.

7. Jaywest

Jaywest Monkey

Great thank you, I will have to work out exactly how many watts is used per hour as I will not use all gadgets all day.

8. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Exactly. That is what the formula is for, to determine just how many hours you will need your various appliances to be powered.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

At some point, it will be imperative to sum up all the watt-hours you are going to consume in your design duration. BTW, so far, the discussion has assumed resistive loads and has not accounted for motors of any kind.

Dunerunner, techsar and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  10. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

YOU are killing your Battery .
    You need to stop & figure out not to kill the battery..
    Under panelled & turbines are a WASTE , till in real wind of 500 feet+ or 125M up.

Dunerunner and Tempstar like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Views

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Dome

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. martha_mill
  4. DKR
  5. SurvivalJester
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. troybillett
  11. Adam_L
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. DKR
  14. Lilikoian