Enough ammo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arleigh, Jul 25, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Currently I'm looking at ammo , no matter what caliber, as an investment .
    Recalling the death of .22 a few years ago ,though I've only been storing it not shooting it , the price was going up like silver stock . Problem of course gun shops don't buy back ammo, so it's value is only among private sales. I don't even know of any one that sells privately ,and there are laws that make it illegal in some places.
    What would justify using ammo as a trade media ?

2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Trying to think of one good reason...

Only thing I can come up with is to pay your undertaker.

Personally, I don't want that big of a wake ;)

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I would trade ammo for another firearm, but only to a dealer.

I'm assuming you are talking about a long term SHTF event and in that case odds are you would get the shorter end of that stick. Trade ammo with someone in your group for some of their ammo that you need, but not outside your group.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

The only problem with selling ammo after shtf is knowing who to sell to. The wrong person buying and you are dead. I keep about 10,000 rds .22,500 rds 45-70,2000 9mm,1000 .22tcm,2000 .45 acp, 500rds .44 mag,500 12ga,500rds .22 hornet,500 .45 colt,1000 .38 special,1000 .357, also a good many .32 swl and .32-20. I also have a 410 with a few rds. My 12 gauge is mostly 00 buck. I almost forgot my .41. Mag that I just bought 500 rds I had to order for it. The more different caliber guns you have the easier it will be to find ammo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

At the peak of hillery Obama mania in 2015 and 2016 when it appeared obvious that hillery was going to get the dem nomination and that the election was rigged for her and that she was going to win I actually tried to sell some ammo and didn't have much luck. To my surprise.
    So don't bet on being able to sell ammo "when you need money".
    I was trying to sell off my oldest stock which is pushing 20 years old now, I didn't volunteer that information.

If you are planning to trade ammo post shtf my only advice is make sure all your affairs are in order, have your coffin ready and your grave already dug.
    I would advise only trading stuff like 300win mag and 50bmg so at least it will be quick.

I think lithium AA batteries and full 1lb propane tanks would be better to trade with.

Just remember we all have nearly a 100% chance of personal shtf where we will need money and there is about a 10% chance of shtf in the next 10 years where the situation will devolve into paper money having no value and everything is barter based.
    Prioritize accordingly.

arleigh, Gator 45/70 and ghrit like this.
  6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

My preps really ain't for me (unless I need them) .. it's for the kids and grand kids because god only knows if they'll even be able to obtain it retail in future.

oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I just thought of something that happened last week. So the other day I needed AA batteries. I normally only use NiMH batteries for everything.
    But my rechargeables are getting old and they never did real well in high drain devices.
    So I buy primary cells for my door lock and the clock which uses a single AA.
    I went to walmart, bought a 48 pack of AA primary cell batteries for $20.
    Buying that 48 cell pack I took probably about 1/4 to 1/5 of my local walmarts AA inventory.
    What do you think is going to happen in any scenario that involves the power being off for more than 24 hours?
    I bet they will run out of batteries before ammo.

For batteries you are going to store and not use I say get the lithium ones, they are supposed to have a 20 year shelf life and they pack around 2 to 3 times the power of standard batteries.
    I think I can use up this 48 pack which has a 10 year shelf life in 3 to 6 years.
    I had some lithium packs for emergency but I ended up using them in my electric door locks. I need to buy some more.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    arleigh and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I've been dealing with Class VI commercial reloaders and gun show sellers for many years. I trade with them at their location, or at an arranged meeting place that's convenient for me.

Somebody that's flipping 30k rounds of 9mm at shows across State lines now in a weekend is likely to be more helpful in building an investment than a whole bunch of Wal-Mart's.

I see it as an investment in the uncertain future. Not as something I can trade, so much as something I never have to trade for.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    Witch Doctor 01 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

There are only two occasions when you have too much ammo, swimming or your on fire! I still don't have enough. But I make the Fire Marshall very nervous with what I have.LOL

STANGF150, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Rocks and sticks are free. :D

VisuTrac likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

and so is the knowledge of how to mix chemicals in just the right proportions

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I buy bulk ammo as a hedge against non-availability and price swings. Better to use the ammo yourself and trade or sell the meat, which will be much more in demand.

Alf60 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Knowing I may have to train new shooters, much more ammo is required than for defensive purposes .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Sticks and stone may break your bones... but hollow points expand on impact....

GrayGhost, Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  15. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I'd invest in barter items which aren't explosive, personally.

Knives
    Tools (think carpentry-blacksmithing-clothing repair)
    Toilet paper
    Matches/lighters/fuel
    Bourbon/Whiskey
    Hygiene items
    Cigars
    First aid
    Freeze dried foods

My bullets and reloading components are for me. When or if it comes time for people to be actively seeking ammo, I wouldn't want to be the clerk at the counter or the guy offering a trade. The things that make people feel human again are going to be most sought after. I wouldn't trade ammo and guns outside my immediate group and close neighbors. Even then, friends can turn to enemies rather quickly when pure survival is the game.

The best investment outside prepping would be to acquire a skill set. Knowledge weighs nothing, you can take it with you wherever you go and trade your skills for anything you may need, including being part of a well protected village amidst all the chaos. You could become the resident carpenter or blacksmith, maybe the local inventor and problem solver, the nurse/EMT.

Homer Simpson and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

In redding California people had minutes to grab what they could and get out before everything burnt.
    A real life shtf situation that actually just happened where a bunch of ammo would have absolutely 0 use.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I think that where and how, and how much we store will have a big impact.
    Ideally any thing worth being stored for an indefinite period of time ,needs to be water tight and kept in a stable temperature . i.e. in the ground .
    Though it may flood , if it's water proof there's nothing to worry about , if there's a fire there stills other to worry about .
    If you are pretty sure you can come back to the same spot ,what is in the ground might just have the best chance , with the only exception of volcanic eruption.
    Preparations of any sort can be lost through a myriad of means never considered that's just life ,but that 's why we are here to learn and gather ideas to improve our survival ,ahead of those that have done "less".
    Problem is , hiding something in the ground that has public access means "it's not yours". It belongs to whom ever finds it.
    All of life is a gamble ,even wild animals know this and burry food only to be found by some one else but there is a chance ,slim as it is ,that what has been squirreled away will still be there when the time comes.
    So I guess the answer is , keep up the prep of ammo or food or what ever it is that you need in the future , theres chance you'll find it again and life can resume. but doing nothing represents no hope for the future.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

A lessor disaster than TEOTWAWKI might make sense to have things in a trailer that could be hitched to your vehicle in a couple of minutes and you're gone. I've mentioned this before SURVIVAL MODEL , but at this point in my live it's not for me simply because I don't have a place to put it that my wife would tolerate. However thinking about fire or pending flood etc, it might make sense for some IF the roads would be clear for you to move, and it holds a lot of gear including guns and bullets.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Fire, flood, volcano, alien invasion.

All good reasons not to have all your eggs in one basket.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

a trailer like this ?
    DSCN4148.JPG It is my shop and power house.
    It only takes a few minuets to hook and haul , Might even take a bit longer to mount the camper on the truck.
    This summer , Lord willing , I'll get new rubber all around and prep it for the road for a test run .

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Thunder5Ranch
  5. duane
  6. OldDude49
  7. oil pan 4
  8. Oddcaliber
  9. Dunerunner
  10. john316
  11. deMolay