Enough ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by oldman11, Sep 18, 2020.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

People probably said that in 1968 too.
    I'm going to risk it, take the money and run.
    Selling AR uppers, barrels, old Walmart ammo, brass, maybe some guns. People are going full retard right now.
    If I don't take advantage of them someone will. Might as well be me.

hot diggity and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. reloader762

reloader762 Boolit Master

I haven't had an ammo problem in forty years, I made it a point that I would put back a stash of factory ammo for all the handguns and rifles that I shoot as well as set up to handload for each caliber regardless of how cheap factor ammo was at the time. A few years later I started casting and now have accumulated several bullet molds for every caliber of handgun and rifle I shoot.

I've always been able to shoot what I wanted when I wanted, although sometime life gets in the way of those plans but I've never found myself wanting for ammo. Just recently about a month ago I purchased my first new reloading press since I bought my first original Lyman Orange Crusher press kit when I started reloading, which I still have most all of it and will continue to use it as needed. I purchased the Lee Classic Cast Turret press and have loaded about 500 rds. of 9 mm and 45 ACP the past few weeks, and it worked perfectly, cranking out lots of ammo.

[​IMG]

NOE 130 gr. HTC 9 mm HP
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  3. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

VisuTrac, mysterymet and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When you buy ammo on gun broker it should come with a rape test kit.
    Boring 45 acp fmj ammo is going for nearly a dollar per round.
    I have a ridiculous crap ton of 45 reloads. I have had it the longest, shot it the most, reloaded it the most. I could sell every factory round I have and only put a nice dent in the pile.
    On top of that I only have 1 gun that shoots 45acp so if shit did hit fan I would be able to shoot it all.

gunbunny and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

All those new gun owners are getting hosed and don't even know it - well maybe some do but I bet not many

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. sourdough145

sourdough145 Holder of the M1 thumb award...

Had a newbie at the range today... Got himself a nice 6.5 bolt action Grendle with a laminated stock. Good start for a first time gun owner. Fired about 40rnds and with help got zeroed in pretty good. Asked him about how he picked that gun and he said that talking to more experienced shooters got him what he wanted. Nice guy, not a hot head, carefull and willing to learn. Also the dificulty in getting any kind of ammo came up.
    Everything 50% additional markup, when you can find it in stock. Gives you some hope when you get a young guy like that... Now he is concidering learning to reload. Like I said, smart guy...

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I just listed 5.7 ammo for 14 days and it's already going alla ackbar. I haven't even listed the "good stuff" yet.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. sourdough145

Had senior moment.... don't where I got grendle, meant to say Creedmore... Sorry about that. Blame it on a long day of too many things going sideways. Picked up a few hundred Lake City .223 brass, now trimmed and reformed to 300blk. Small pistol magnum primers, Lilgun powder and Hornady 150gr FMJ added to the mix makes a 2025fps very reliable round. Nice rainy day project to crank out a few hundred rounds.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I don't like magnum primers. As far as I can tell all they give is slightly higher velocity and greater standard deviation.
    If I want slightly higher V just add slightly more propellant.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like em' cause others are scared to use the them, I just add 19 ft.per second less powder.

sourdough145 and VisuTrac like this.
  11. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You can reload with a rock or a hammer.
    lee_loader.
    Way cheaper than a progressive.

EDIT: It also fits in the BOB, oversized pocket, glove compartment, ...etc.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
    Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have 3 single stage reloading presses and I got one of those Lee "apartment reloading" presses (the one that doesn't bolt to anything) from an estate sale almost for free. But I dont really use it.

I'm selling as much factory 3 inch 12 gauge ammo as possible. I even started replacing it with fresh 2-3/4 inch from walmart.
    The advantage of 2-3/4 WM ammo is its not 20 years old, my the highcap mags for my, semiauto, S12 are all for 2-3/4 inch shells.
    I also discovered my 2 face winchester 1300 which is a Joe Biden approved 28 inch bbl upland wing gun by day, then by night it's an NFA approved title 2 sawed off with a 14 inch barrel and it likes shorty shells, holding like 8 shorty 6 pellet 00 buck shells.

sourdough145 likes this.
  13. sourdough145

I like magnum primers because there was a 5k box of them with nowhere to go! looking at the 300blk case and the .357magnum case and realized they were pretty close in volume... Normally small rifle is used but with using a magnum pistol type powder why not use magnum pistol primers? Found minimal diference in this application in fps (2025fps vs 2035fps whoopie). Either case powder is fully spent before running out of barrel (minimal bloom). Just finished a 500 bullet run and boxed them up real nice ready to store, if I can resist taking them to the range. Life is good if you reload... (not cheaper but a whole lot more fun)

Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Been loading up on 20 gauge shotgun shells lately. At 900 for now. Good on the 12 and rifle and pistol. Should get by if things go sideways.

Alf60, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

My only 20ga is a single shot so I don't keepa ton of ammo for it. Not much more than a 50 cal ammo can. I'll buy shells when I see them on sale.

Gaowlpoop, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Make sure you leave the 20s home when you head out with the 12.

17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Boolits look great. I'm using the MP 147 grain for most of my 9mm. What kind of PC are you using?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well the local walmarts are almost sold out of 30-30 and 308 ammo. The 30-06 is hit pretty hard but hanging on.
    Unexpectedly 7mm rem mag has had a good chunk taken out of it.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

The 20 is for backup. Also something I can hand off to the GF when things go south.

Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you got someone who can't handle 12 gauge recoil just get some mini shells.
    Only problem is a lot of guns don't cycle them.

Gator 45/70 and Oddcaliber like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7