even tanks break down...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by monkeyman, Jan 20, 2006.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, well I know AKs are built to take abuse and are far from being made of glass or haveing lots of little pieces that break all the time but Im sure even they have weaknesses and break down from time to time. So my question is, what are the parts or pieces in an AK that are most likely to fail? I was just kind of thinking that some time when I can if there are particular parts that break most often on an AK I might get the spare parts for it, so is there anything in particular I should look at?

2. 155gunner

155gunner Monkey+++ Founding Member

I can't remember ever breaking a part and can't recall anyone else doing so. If I had to keep some extra parts on hand I would have some extra US trigger parts.

3. monkeyman

OK, wasnt real sure. I know they have a good reputation for being solidly built and not breaking down but as popular as the AR variants are and they have parts kits for them all the time just to fix what falls apart so figured maybe wouldnt be a bad thing if a particular spring tended to break or whatever to have an extra on hand so that if they get any tighter on trying to lock them out and had a problem with it then it wouldnt be a paper weight.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We will have to wait for the return of Magnus for a expert opinion on this. Then again, Magnus doesn't clean his AK's, he just builds new ones. :lol: We did see his torture test, and it still fired. He put that AK through a lot more than I would put any rifle through, nice to know that it held up though.

5. monkeyman

Yeah I figured they wouldnt just go bad from being knocked around to easy from that, just wasnt sure if there was any particular weakness like say a spring that tended to break aftel a few 10k/100k rounds fired from fatuige or anything like that. Basicly just to make sure I didnt have a problem some day when parts were harder to get and find out THEN that it was a common thing after a lot of fireing or whatever.

6. dalesimpson

dalesimpson Monkey+++

I have built around 10-12 AKs and have shot thousands of rounds through them and I have yet to have any kind of breakage. I do keep spare parts for the fire control groups, but that is only because I have so many extras that come with the kits that I replace with US parts.

7. monkeyman

That is another question. I know when you build an AK from a kit you have to have the compliance American parts on it for it to be legal, but if something goes wrong with it or you just decide to change some configurations or whatever, after it has been built and even transfered, if some of the compliance parts get replaced with parts that are imported then dose the rifle then become illegal or is it still legal since it was built to comply in the first place? I think on mine the furniture is original so that wouldnt be an issue but I know you can do US furniture as compliance parts, so if you did and then decided later to get an imported stock to put on it then would that make it noncompliant if you didnt replace another original part with a compliance part?

8. dalesimpson

dalesimpson Monkey+++

Any of the rifles that I build must not have more than 10 foreign made parts in them in order to comply with 922r. And yes, they have to stay compliant, although I haven't heard of anybody being arrested for a parts count issue.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7