Experimenting with kefir

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Dunerunner, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I've had store bought kefir and thought, after reading, that I might make it at home. Research told me it was much more dense in probiotics than cultured buttermilk so last week I ordered some kefir grains.

Now these things look like slimy cauliflower rice but smelled like cultured buttermilk. They are formed through fermentation with the lactose sugar in whole milk. Right now, they are in about a cup and a half of whole milk in a clean glass jar with a loose-fitting lid next to my pellet stove. The sweet spot temperature for the fermentation is 75 degrees F. and this stage is called the reviving period. Seems the grains need to feed and regain strength (rebuild a colony of bacteria and yeast) before you can use them to make kefir. The process can take 3 to 6 days depending on the health of the grains.

This DIY kefir is touted to have over 50 different strains of beneficial probiotic bacteria and yeasts where the store bought contains 10. Cultured yogurt has maybe 7 and cultured buttermilk just one.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    Alanaana, Motomom34, Bandit99 and 3 others like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

DSC01084.JPG
    If you get a chance, also try the packets. The incubation period is only 24 hours, can use any milk but I think whole milk would be best. Only downside to this option is there's some maltodextrin in this, but it is nearly negligible. Simple to make, just heat milk to just before boil, add a packet of kefir starter after it cools to 77F, then seal in airtight container until curds form and place into fridge to stop the process.

3. Dunerunner

Just finished the Recovery process yesterday and this morning, put my first quart into the refrigerator. I'll try it later tonight, but it seemed a little thin. Maybe I should have let it sit a while longer. Anyway, the second quart is in fermentation as I type this so I will allow it to ferment longer. The grains have nearly tripled in size, byw.

4. Dunerunner

On my fifth batch, now. The first few were very thin and watery but had good flavor. The more recent are thicker, like buttermilk but a little grainy from the proteins. That might have something to do with the strainer I use to seperate the kefir from the kefir grains.

Kefir Grains.

Alanaana likes this.
  5. Dunerunner

The experiment is over.

The grains have multiplied to the point where I am making more kefir than I can consume and since there are no neighbors or friends interested in them, they are going into the trash. The last batch was a gallon. I have since divided the grains into three-quart sized jars with one cup of whole milk to cover the kefir grains and placed them into the refrigerator. I now have a gallon of kefir that will last me at least a month.

I am thinking I will have to go through the wake-up routine with the grains when I start fermentations again, but with a quart of kefir at the grocery store being near $6, the effort and health benefits are worth it.

I'm very happy with my $14 investment and will kefir ferment as long as I can afford the milk.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

Been working on the gallon of kefir I made before Christmas and interestingly it has become slightly effervescent. I have the kefir grains submerged in just enough milk to cover them in and stored in the refrigerator. I hope they will be OK, but it will be a while before I can take them out and start fermenting more kefir.

7. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I think I want to learn how to do this soon. Thanks for sharing your process!

Dunerunner likes this.
  1. Dunerunner
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Dunerunner
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Dunerunner
  9. DKR
  10. Dunerunner
  11. Dunerunner