expiration dates

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by crowdaddy, Jul 25, 2021.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Great!

crowdaddy likes this.
  2. DuxDawg

DuxDawg Monkey++

Walmart routinely sells out of date products.
    How diligent do you really think low paid employees are?? When pointed out, management obfuscates.

Caveat emptor.

crowdaddy likes this.
  3. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have so much medical stuff that is out of date. just opened a box of band-aids that expired in 2015. The wrappers had turned yellow but the bandages seem to still work.

My biggest question is my Israeli bandages that have expired, what do I do with them? How far past the expiration is too far?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

How are they packaged? sealed in airtight packages?

5. crowdaddy

crowdaddy Monkey++

I may be wrong about this, so I'll say it up front...but...
    As I understad it, the issue with an Israeli bandage being out of date pertains to the fact that it might not be considered sterile after a certain date. That is what I was told and led to believe.

As far as I am concerned, I personally would keep it and use it regardless. I would assume it is being used for a traumatic injury, massive bleeding. I would be more concerned about massive blood loss. The threat of infection is always there anyway. But if you bleed out because you are not sure whether to use an expired bandage or not, that expiration date is a moot point.

It's an Israeli battle dressing, a bandage. It will still function just fine. It's a mechanical application. In my personal experience, it was a chemical compound that could loose potency over time making it less likely to work. I see them as different things. Also in my case, I'm pretty sure it would have done it's job and worked even though it was expired.. I feel my problem was more along the lines of a misapplication of the product that caused the "fail".

Again, don't take my word for it. I could be totally off base in my thinking.

DuxDawg and chelloveck like this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

They are in the original hermetically sealed grey packaging. The packaging is still tight.

DuxDawg and crowdaddy like this.
  7. jefferson

jefferson Monkey

Sometimes, I also seen some of the products don't have expiry date, It is very hard to find it, sometimes the date are erased partially. So better to see the expiry date before going to use.

8. JustAnother

JustAnother Monkey

As long as the outer package is kept intact Celox will last YEARS beyond its labeled expiration date. Its a natural agent extracted from shrimp shells, does not generate heat (neither does the new QuickClot)..

1. Benjamin A. Wood
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. john316
  4. hot diggity
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. arleigh
  7. DKR
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Motomom34
  10. Ajax
  11. RightHand
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary