Extract nitrate from dirt

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by damoc, Feb 28, 2021.

1. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

When I'm not being a prepper or homesteader I'm probably shooting old or vintage replica black powder firearms I could probably justify as a prepper why knowledge of black powder is important but honestly its just because I'm a bit of a romantic LOL I love the boom and cloud of smoke. Being able to make good black powder was one of my first projects and then later being able to make it from dirt as in back in the old days. I have not yet got a video on making black powder but I do have one on getting one of the main ingredients from dirt. BTW black powder is like Tannerite legal to mix and use (for sporting purposes) on your own property but don't sell or transport without applicable permits and licenses.

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I can not only find all three needed ingredient's within a mile walk of the home here, but the lead as well! Most folks have no clue what is what and fewer still know what to do with any of it, especially that stinky yellowish stuff that some times comes bubbling up out of the earth!
    The real trick in making your own powers is in the corning and screening from cake, getting your FF measure and testing it consistently so you have good working powder that you know and can trust!
    It also helps is being able to make your own char, and knowing which species of tree or combo makes the best char! Around here, it's Willow and ash in a 70/30 ratio, or you could use Apple/Plum with one Maple as the hardwood! Ether way, getting the char just right is half the battle!

STANGF150, damoc, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I use willow, put it tightly packed into a paint can, seal the lid, poke a hole in the top and throw it into the fire until the blue flame goes out.

4. damoc

damoc Monkey+++

I make it the same way. Ura-Ki you are correct the trick is in the corning and screening to getting reliable consistent powder.

5. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I mostly use most of my BP in a small cannon, a few revolvers, and making stars for airbursts Sky Writers!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  6. reconprepper

reconprepper Monkey

I dont have natural sulfur places around me that I know of so wouldnt know where to find it except buying it from a chemical company.

7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

During the Civil War, AKA the War Between the States, the Confederates collected the contents of chamber pots for deposit in specially prepared beds, usually near cities, where the excess human nitrate content was filtered out and cured in the soil. The resulting niter was used to manufacture gunpowder and kill Yankees. There was even a song written about it!

Ura-Ki and damoc like this.
  8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Gunpowder.

GunPowderMake.

damoc likes this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

And people give me shit about saving up all my dog waste, having no clue as to why! Can't 'splain it to them, so I just deal with it! Have two more Homer buckets worth to bury this week, that makes 9 in the dirt so far this year! Lol

damoc likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7