extremely serious windows vulnerability

Discussion in 'Site Announcements' started by sec_monkey, Jan 14, 2020.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

3M-TA3 and Dunerunner like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As of now, I'll say I could like W10 if I didn't have to rent Office. 7 suits me, and XP was as good for my purposes. For now, I'll leave 7 running on the tower until I get 10 on the laptop sorted out to my liking and have Thunderbird and Open Office functioning "correctly".

After that, I am not too sure how I'm going to handle upgrading the tower to 10, but I do know, based on past experience, there's gas pains a'comin'.

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Took me 12 hours to update my PC Laptop running virgin Win?Doz10... and thanks to SEC for pointing me to the almost hidden Update Button...

Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I've never had good luck upgrading Wndows major versions and I've owned every every one of the OS's since DOS 2. If you can you are better off installing from scratch. SSD's are incredibly cheap anymore so I'd pull the current HDD as a backup, then install from a thumb drive. Instructions are here: How To Create Bootable Windows 10 USB Flash Drive [Guide] | Redmond Pie

You might want to install 7 first on the new SSD then upgrade to get the new product key, then do a full install of 10 using that key.

Brokor and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Took just over 6 hours for the upgrade, download, and install on my laptop. I'd hazard a guess that my connection is a mite faster than BT's, but still not lightning.

sec_monkey and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. offgrittyt

offgrittyt You gonna eat that?

Windows 10 of course changed for the sake of change and eliminated a great many of the clear, sensible and direct pathways that were available from the start button and replaced them with a console with 1/2 of the essential sht missing, while adding many layers and additional steps required for navigation. Regarding windows or Mac or Linux etc vunerability, ALL SOFTWARE IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE VUNERABLE to hacking from governMental, commercial and individual perpetrator's. Do the best you can.

sec_monkey likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7