Facebook to suppress "fake" news

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by Hanzo, May 5, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Gator 45/70, HK_User and Dont like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It seems like the digital equivalent of red state voter supression measures. ;)

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

Or blue states importing people of their choice and allowing the legal and illegal aliens etc to vote.
    chelloveck, has the about 6 million or so immigrants since WW2 had any impact on the culture or politics of Australia? Do you think that the present policy of severely limiting illegal immigration of people from Asia is correct or do you foresee a day when "white" people will be as marginalized as the 2 or 3 % of the population of Australia that is native? We have a lot of problems in the US, but other than as a devil's advocate, I would not necessarily use Australia as a symbol of political correctness and moral authority.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  4. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I would make it simple no political ads , speech, fundraising and I would make TV the same
    No more Pac's no lobbying get the money and corruption out period

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

So.... You would delete the First Amendment Free Speech Rights... for ALL Americans.... Am I getting this right?

Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol they just moved all their servers to the USA to avoid the privacy laws in the EU which are more stringent than privacy laws in the USA

chelloveck, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Yeah, like actually having to be alive to vote Democrat...

Mountainman, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Making sure you are:
    Who you say you are
    Not dead
    Voting in your district
    Not an illegal
    Not a felon
    Only vote once
    Is voter suppression to liberals.

9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

As long as there are people, there will likely be corruption.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and snake6264 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Without even having an FB account or interest, the scheme has struck me as the electronic equivalent of checkout lane fish wrappers. The main difference seems to be that anyone can pose as a reporter and start rumors that sheep will believe. Now, if these "controls" on content are implemented, the 1st is in jeopardy.

11. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

We haven't had free speech in a while... we have free market speech.... those who pay the advertising determine what speech we hear... be it political or marketing...
    just my opinion... YMMV

12. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

No, not at all. He didn't say you couldn't say whatever you want, just can't put either side on TV or FB. Not that I agree or disagree, just pointing out that you are being deliberately difficult.

There is no easy way to "level the playing field" that everyone will agree with. Regulating this or that does nothing but make people find a way to accomplish the same thing in a more circuitous, round-about way.

Regulating/doing away with PACs and lobbying will just force it into another form. As long as there is someone seeking office and someone with an agenda, they will find a way to finance it. The "equal time" rules get bent and broken, if not in fact then certainly in spirit, all the time. When was the last time you heard a Republican get air time on NPR during a campaign that didn't basically start off with "So, why do you want to take food out of the mouths of the elderly?" and go down hill from there. Sure, same amount of time on the radio, but not the same type of coverage at all.

But no, he didn't say do away with free speech. Just because someone says it doesn't mean someone else has to air it or repeat it or reprint it. If some major media outlet decided "no more political ads", that's their decision and it's not infringing on or taking away anyone's free speech. And frankly, that broadcaster would probably get so freaking much ad revenue and additional "business" they wouldn't know what to do with themselves.

Additionally, even if FB's decision ends up making it a liberal only platform, so be it. The First Amendment has nothing to do with private parties and everything to do with the government, and as big as it is, FB isn't the US government and they can't write laws.

Congress (does not apply to FaceBook) shall make no law (because FaceBook can't make laws)
    • respecting an establishment of religion, or
    • prohibiting the free exercise thereof (of religion); or
    • abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or
    • the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and (/or)
    • to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Red Italics mine.

Nothing in there that would indicate that FB deciding to have zero political ads would be illegal. Nothing in there that would prohibit FB from deciding to become a defacto arm of the Democratic National Committee.

Don't throw up spurious, straw man arguments, it detracts from the actual point and discussion (but I think you know that). It also detracts from when you point to the Bill of Rights (as written, including #2) because you know better and are seemingly deliberately "using it wrong".

The First Amendment protects nothing directly. What it does is prohibit Congress (Federal only here) from passing laws that would do any of the 5 bullet points above. Nothing about personal interaction, nothing about businesses, nothing about media, nothing about schools and nothing about churches except that we can't put one before another. It's a prohibition that only applies to FedGov from making laws, period.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

media.

aardbewoner, Hanzo and oil pan 4 like this.
  14. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's a distinction that is lost on many....especially by some who feel that the media is obliged to provide them with a platform and a megaphone to broadcast whatever nonsense that they are trying to purvey.

[​IMG]

or put more simply

[​IMG]

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The good old days was if you said something that someone disagreed with, they would probably ignore you. Say something someone really disagrees with, they tell you their side. Can't be civil, someone is a getting hurt. Then they repeat as necessary until civility is learned. With how things are over the past maybe six or seven decades, we have forgotten all about civility.

And I'm afraid a big beating is coming down somewhere...

Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

That is just so funny, and not true...... #fakenews ;)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7