Fake NFA experts.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wideym, Aug 26, 2019.

1. wideym

wideym Monkey+++

I watched a Paul Harrell Youtube video recently on how to spot a firearms expert and I watched his earlier one on how to spot a fake firearms expert. Sure enough this weekend I went to a local gunshow and took my SBR'ed Glock just for the hell of it.

I didn't get two tables in when I had random strangers tell me my Glock with the stock and foregrip was illegal. I carry a copy of my NFA paperwork whenever I carry any of my NFA items. Most people realize their mistake and it usually ends up in a discussion about NFA items, misconceptions, and NFA rules.

One stranger who claimed to be in law enforcement (he didn't say what dept he worked for if any) told me my SBR was illegal and I was lucky he didn't confiscate it and run me in. But since it was the weekend he didn't want to fool with any paperwork so I was going to be let off with a warning and I needed to take the stock and grip off immediately. When I showed him my NFA paperwork he stated that it was fake and that I still needed to remove the items.

I took out my phone, snapped a picture (which freaked him out), and told him I was going to call the sheriff's office to settle the matter. I'm pretty sure he left skid marks on the floor with how fast he left the show.

Idahoser, SB21, Yard Dart and 8 others like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yep. Happens anytime I go to the range with a can.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

☺ I've had an occasional Fudd who would give the SBR guys funny looks, but we see lots of NFA stuff at our range, so it's never been an issue.

As the RSO, I ask if you remembered to bring your paperwork, just to be sure you have it. I don't need to see it.

I did find a guy with a beautifully cut down shotgun who had no idea that the length was to the breech face, and didn't include the whole section of the barrel inside the chamber. He was right at 14" in barrel length with no paperwork.

Then there was the guy with the GSG5 pistol with collapsible stock from an airsoft gun. He claimed the Sheriffs office had said it was okay, and they didn't care what he did with it. I knew the guy he spoke to, and made it clear that the only reason he'd said that was because he thought they were talking about Airsoft guns. A GSG5 piistol with a collapsible stock was a SBR. He got kinda pale and left.

SB21, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 4 others like this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I never bother to discuss NFA items with fellow shooters, or at least the legality of it. I think the NFA is an infringement to begin with and what a citizen chooses to arm themselves with is nobody in the government's business. If that person is up to nefarious intent, then they become a threat and threats are to be dealt with. I actually had a gun show commando try to tell me that my M1A, serial number X006, was illegal because of a snippet of conversation mentioning that Springfield Armory had no record of it's manufacture.

Idahoser, SB21, Homer Simpson and 2 others like this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If "your paper work is fake" it's non of his business unless he is ATF or NFA.
    But I don't think they ever let the poor NFA branch guys out of their cages.
    Unless you are breaking other laws all they can do is report you.
    Otherwise it's unlawful transfer, aka theft of NFA weapon.

People around here are like "cool a silencer" they don't even ask for papers.
    Maybe if it looked home made they might.

SB21, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

"I took out my phone, snapped a picture (which freaked him out), and told him I was going to call the sheriff's office to settle the matter."

Now that there is funny! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I must ask if you called/saw the Sheriff? I think I would have just to stick it to the guy, who obviously likes to abuse his position and power.

EDIT: Want to bet he wasn't even in Law Enforcement or perhaps he worked there emptying the night soil buckets...jerk.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Pistol Carbines Always get the attention, brace or no, every one seems to believe they are Illegal, and a real Stamped SBR is the most evil thing on the planet, so Imagine when I whip out a Side Folder H-K SBR SUPPRESSED! Makes their heads 'Splode!
    Thankfully I don't get bothered at the range, the RSO might ask if I have my papers, might not, and no one there has ever bothered me bout my stuff, other then to say Hey, That's Cool, wish I had one, or wish I could afford that!
    We do get those who do not know about NFA and what is involved in that, and why Hollywood always shows machinegun's when there were never enough in the registry to supply Hollywood in the first place, and contrary to Hollywood, most baddies wouldn't be able to get a Machinegun anyway!

SB21 and Oddcaliber like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7