Fall gardening

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by kckndrgn, Aug 21, 2011.

Tags:
  1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anyone putting in a fall garden? I know most of the northern states really don't have the time for spring/summer and summer/fall gardens.
    My first frost is usually the beginning of November so I've got a little time. Put out some more beans (replacing the beans that have died off due to heat and end of life), broccoli, okra, some early harvest corn, and spinach. Might try to get some other leafy greens out there in the next week.

2. greenebelly

greenebelly Monkey+

Don't forget squashes! they keep long time.

3. beast

beast backwoodsman

hey greenebelly, i know its fun to watch your garden grow
    but the plants really dont like you draggin your tummy over them biglaff

Mountainman likes this.
  4. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I'll be joining you kckndrgn. We should have the first garden beds done the middle of SEP. I hope to be able to get some late summer stuff in. I'll be watching this one for suggestions.

5. kckndrgn

Yup, got them too

6. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I'm working on it. I have just recently torn out all of the summer plants except tomatoes (still producing) and lettuce (need to harvest seed). Started tilling and I would like to plant this weekend, but 1. I have duty on Saturday, and 2. A hurricane is supposed to be heading our way.

7. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

God willing, our Fall garden will go in when fall arrives, sometime in mid November. Ugh the heat and dry is oppressive this year.

8. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Will be trying something new. Hilling up the sweet potato row and covering with plastic. That way we can put them in early next spring. Greens/turnips go in next week. New squash should be starting to produce in a couple weeks with the new plantings of blue lakes and half runners.

9. kckndrgn

I'm also going to try to get some garlic in this fall/winter. I've tried it before but I planted it in the spring, from my understanding it's best to plant in the fall after the first frost. Is that correct?

10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will be yanking all of the flowers from the pots and planting some spinach. I am anxious to see how long it will last. Also may throw in a few beet seeds.

Direct-sow beets, carrots, collards, leeks and scallions, along with more lettuce and radishes.

11. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

I probably COULD plant a fall garden, but I was so late in getting stuff in this past spring (recovering from my back problem, so it went much slower than planned), and planted more than planned, in various grow bags....

Plus, I finally used some vacation time, late last month! We have a "use or lose" policy, and ain't no way I was gonna lose it, so found a decent price on a plane ticket, and went back to where I grew up (western NY, Rochester area), and visited friends and family. Glad I did, too, as I only then realized how tight I had gotten wound up, this year, and how much I needed some time off from everything! (y)

So with tomatoes still producing, sweet potatoes growing like crazy, "little finger" eggplants galore, and more peppers than I can shake a stick at, I figured I'd just let this stuff continue producing, as long as possible. The beans I planted (Anasazi and Black Beans) are starting to dry nicely, while still producing, albeit at a lower rate now. I finally cut back the pumpkin vines, as it seemed they were producing more of a pain in the ass to mow around, than actual fruits (though I did finally harvest the big'un that was growing....about 8" diameter. Doesn't sound like much, but these were small sized pumpkins, grown more for making pies, than for cutting up into jack-o-lanterns.
    [jack-o-lantern]

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7